Cake Pops for Cheaters

White+Chocolate+Pops Cake Pops for Cheaters

Or the lazy. Or those who aren’t at all lazy but would much prefer a nap.

In case you haven’t noticed, cake pops are the sweet of the moment, made popular by Bakerella, blogger extraordinaire, who has now published an entire book of them.

They are baked cakes, crumbled and mixed with icing, then rolled into balls, frozen, impaled on a stick and dipped in chocolate. I say this as a lover of frosting and one known to finish the leftover frosting on other peoples’ plates: the thought doesn’t appeal. (No offense Bakerella – I really think you’re great and the pops are adorable. They just make my teeth ache.)

It occurred to me that one could forgo the baking, crumbling, mixing, shaping and freezing (not that, as you know, I’m against spending time in the kitchen) and move straight to the aesthetic part of the cake pop by cheating with cake pop implants: Timbits.

Timbits%2B%2526%2Bchocolate Cake Pops for Cheaters
Timbits%2Bon%2BStick Cake Pops for Cheaters

1) Buy cake-doughnut Timbits.
2) Impale on sticks (lollipop sticks from Michael’s or another craft store, or wood coffee stirrers).
3) Melt chocolate – any kind – and dip them in.
4) Let them sit on a plate or piece of waxed paper or foil until set. If you like, sprinkle with coconut, coarse sugar or sprinkles.

White%2Bchocolate%2Bpops%2B2 Cake Pops for Cheaters

Admittedly, they are about as sweet as anything I’ve eaten. But the Timbits shave some time off the process – and aren’t cake pops mostly about cuteness?

pixel Cake Pops for Cheaters
button print gry20 Cake Pops for Cheaters

November 19 2010 11:43 pm | cake

20 Responses to “Cake Pops for Cheaters”

1. Liana @ femme fraiche on 20 Nov 2010 at 4:05 am #

:O you are a genius!! Not only do those cake pop sounds amazing, but they look so pretty too! Perfect for bringing over to a friends or a party. I agree with you that the timbits might help out the sweetness with their doughy texture. I wonder, were some timbit flavours better than others in this case?

2. Jan (Family Bites) on 20 Nov 2010 at 5:46 am #

Julie, between this recipe and the double-double cake I’m starting to think you should write a little Tim Horton’s cookbook!

3. Heather on 20 Nov 2010 at 6:02 am #

Hi Julie – can you tell me where you found your pretty coarse white sugar…..i have been looking for it for a Christmas cookie project and haven’t been able to find any that is white. Grocery store mostly seems to carry green, red and a variety of pastel colored sprinkles.

4. Jennifer on 20 Nov 2010 at 6:21 am #

@Heather – I know you can get white sprinkling sugar at Bulk Barn (in with the cake decorations).

5. JulieVR on 20 Nov 2010 at 8:11 am #

Liana – I only tried one in this case, and they were sour cream glazed, which are pretty crazy sweet to begin with! I’d go more for the chocolate and old-fashioned plain next time!

Heather – I got mine at a Mediterranean (or Indian?) food store – you can often find it cheap! Sorry, I can’t remember which one though!

6. Merry120 on 20 Nov 2010 at 9:12 am #

These are so pretty and definitely shave many, many steps off traditional cake pops. They would be perfect for a holiday party.

7. Lindsey on 20 Nov 2010 at 9:30 am #

New Canadian party favours!

8. Megan on 20 Nov 2010 at 10:06 am #

Oh my goodness, I love it! I’ll have to try these.

9. Sherry on 20 Nov 2010 at 11:48 am #

Haha I think these are so cool! What an interesting trick!

10. Fiona on 20 Nov 2010 at 2:20 pm #

Okay, those are adorable. I can just imagine old fashioned plain with a little tasty icing on it. Mmm.

(Also, I’m relieved to see someone else say the cake pops don’t appeal. I thought it was just me. And that it meant I’m broken.)

11. Avery on 20 Nov 2010 at 4:04 pm #

I’ve made cake pops for my Niece and her friends, and they are incredibly sweet. These sound like they might be a little less so, but so much easier to make (and less messy). I’ll definitely try this next if the need arises!!

12. bridgit on 20 Nov 2010 at 5:27 pm #

What happens if you dip them for a quick second in something boozie? Or coffee? Or both?

13. JulieVR on 20 Nov 2010 at 5:34 pm #

BOOZY CAKE POPS!! You are brilliant!!

14. lovetocook on 20 Nov 2010 at 7:51 pm #

Julie, your food ideas get more deliciously ridiculous, sweet and caloric all the time, but it’s your writing that keeps me peeled. (pun not intended)

15. Lana in South Mountain (ON) on 22 Nov 2010 at 8:32 am #

I think this is so cute- especially for a party! I would definitely do the old-fashioned timbit, I think, so my teeth wouldn’t ache!
    Thanks for another great idea.
    (also loving the boozy idea–mmm– so many options..)

16. Phaedra on 23 Nov 2010 at 1:29 pm #

Ohhh how I miss Tim Horton’s from when I lived in BC, but I had a brain storm for a mid-range shortcut for these ‘cake pops’.. what about mini-cupcakes and then use the same icings/sugars? hmmmm.. now I’m contemplating some weekend experiments.

17. Michelle on 27 Nov 2010 at 2:43 pm #

Oh my gosh, you are a genius. I love cake pops, but contrary to most other people I’ve heard from, I think they are an enormous pain to make. You’re my new hero and I will totally be doing this. : ) Well done!!!

18. Christmas Cake Pops | The Family Kitchen on 17 Dec 2010 at 10:58 am #

[...] an easy recipe from Marion Cunningham – or if you really want to streamline things, start with store-bought round donut holes, ditching the need to shape and roll them entirely. On the outside, they look just the same. [...]

19. Only Here for the Food » Blog Archive » Food Notes for April 25, 2011 on 25 Apr 2011 at 11:39 pm #

[...] cake pops at Starbucks last week. But they are easy to recreate at home too, or at least, the cheater versions are, [...]

20. Peggy on 10 Oct 2013 at 7:05 pm #