Quinoa Banana Waffles with Brown Sugar Syrup

Banana%2Bquinoa%2Bwaffle Quinoa Banana Waffles with Brown Sugar SyrupWaffles have become more than a weekend thing around here. The boys consider pancakes and waffles for breakfast the ultimate treat – the novelty has not worn off – and they are almost as simple to make as the house stumbles awake on a cold weekday morning as a bowl of cereal or oatmeal, particularly if there are leftovers in the freezer to pop in the toaster.

On this particular morning (post-sleepover, meaning waffles were a must), as I vaguely wondered what to do with a single blackened banana, I stumbled upon these banana waffles made with quinoa flour by Elizabeth and Brian, food bloggers from Brooklyn (I want to be that!) who I met when we were in New York (that does sound pretty cool, too) and really liked. They’re just great people, with a great blog. I wonder what my blog would be like if Mike contributed to it? Mike Mondays? More grilled cheese, I think.

Also: at the risk of turning into the Packaging Police, I must inform you that bottled pancake syrup has a longer ingredient list than I’m comfortable with – syrup should be an ingredient, not contain a lengthy list of them. I myself am hooked on the Real Thing – pure maple syrup (from our friend Manon if at all possible) – but in reality maple syrup is pricier than Scotch. A fairly wee bottle of real maple syrup will run you about $17, which lets face it, sends many people running into the arms of Aunt Jemima.

But let’s take a look at the ingredient list of bottled pancake syrup, shall we? I don’t think most people think to look at the ingredients. It’s just syrup, right? Sadly not. I was at my Mom’s house for brunch over the holidays (sorry Mom) and as a diabetic, she keeps the lite (lower sugar) stuff around. I took a peek. Serendipitously, my dad walked in with groceries at the same time, and had picked up a bottle of the regular stuff. Same thing. This is what the bottle of Aunt Jemima Lite (in Canada) contains:

INGREDIENTS: LIQUID SUGAR, WATER, CELLULOSE GUM, SALT, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOURS, SORBIC ACID, SODIUM BENZOATE, CARAMEL COLOUR, SODIUM HEXAMETAPHOSPHATE, SULPHITES.

If you look up the ingredients on the US website, you’ll get a slightly different spin:

INGREDIENTS: CORN SYRUP, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, WATER, CELLULOSE GUM, CARAMEL COLOR, SALT, SODIUM BENZOATE AND SORBIC ACID (PRESERVATIVES), ARTIFICIAL AND NATURAL FLAVORS, SODIUM HEXAMETAPHOSPHATE.

So. Homemade syrup – why not? It’s just sugar, after all. Like hot cocoa, I’m not sure it even warrants a recipe. Homemade syrup is as cheap as it gets, and as easy to make as heating up stuff from the bottle that you have stored in the fridge. If you like, spike it with vanilla, or maple extract, or a splash of cream, or a handful of fresh or frozen berries. For a flavour twist, use apple cider or orange juice in place of the water.

Brown Sugar Syrup: bring two parts packed brown sugar to one part water or juice to a simmer; cook until the sugar dissolves completely. If you like, add a few drops of vanilla or maple extract. If it seems too runny, simmer it a little longer. Serve warm.

Of course you can keep your own syrup in a sealed jar in the fridge indefinitely.

Quinoa Banana Waffles

tweaked a bit from Brooklyn Supper, by way of the Family Kitchen

1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup quinoa flour (or oat flour, or more all-purpose or flour)
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups milk
2 eggs
2 Tbsp. oil
1 tsp. vanilla
1 very ripe banana, mashed

In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt.

In another bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, oil and vanilla. Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture, add the mashed banana and stir just until combined.

Pour batter into a preheated waffle iron using a measuring cup or ladle (as much as your particular machine can handle) and cook until golden brown. Keep them warm in a 200F oven, or serve immediately.

pixel Quinoa Banana Waffles with Brown Sugar Syrup
button print gry20 Quinoa Banana Waffles with Brown Sugar Syrup

January 16 2011 03:46 pm | breakfast

40 Responses to “Quinoa Banana Waffles with Brown Sugar Syrup”

1. Buddiegirl on 16 Jan 2011 at 3:56 pm #

Those waffles sound delicious.

Even though maple syrup is very expensive, I buy it anyway, can’t stand any of the other pancake syrups. When I was growing up, we always had Roger’s Golden syrup on pancakes instead of maple syrup.

2. JulieVR on 16 Jan 2011 at 3:59 pm #

Ooooh – yes! I love Roger’s (or Lyle’s) Golden Syrup on pancakes. Or scones. Or toast. Or my finger…

3. Jennifer Jo on 16 Jan 2011 at 4:25 pm #

I just made waffles for our Sunday lunch—a quadruple batch—and I had to cook up some homemade maple syrup since we were almost out. I do equal parts white sugar to water, plus 1/2 cup brown sugar and a bit of Therm Flo to thicken it. Then some vanilla and maple extract for flavor. It’s VERY yum. (http://bit.ly/fNzJIR)

4. JulieVR on 16 Jan 2011 at 4:28 pm #

What’s Therm Flo??

5. a-man on 16 Jan 2011 at 4:41 pm #

Yummy dessert recipe! Interesting ingredient the quinoa. Nutrituos. How would you describe the taste of quinoa? Thank you.

6. MegVR on 16 Jan 2011 at 6:53 pm #

Chastened I am. I’ll have to figure out how to make stevia syrup. I wonder what’s on the label of Lyle’s Golden Syrup, one of the wonders of the world, especially when there’s a loaf of your no-knead bread around.

7. JulieVR on 16 Jan 2011 at 6:55 pm #

Lyle’s Golden Syrup is just cane syrup, that’s it! Same as Roger’s Golden Syrup.

8. lovetocook on 16 Jan 2011 at 7:07 pm #

My mother always made pancake syrup out of necessity: sugar, water, maple extract. Better still are fruit syrups made with the berries available in the summer. Easier than jelly, they don’t require a long boil, and can be sealed in jars. Around here waffles or pancakes are usually smothered in bananas and yogurt.

9. Kira on 16 Jan 2011 at 8:07 pm #

Where can you find quinoa flour in Calgary???

10. JulieVR on 16 Jan 2011 at 8:25 pm #

Kira – at Community Natural Foods – you can buy it in bulk!

11. Debra on 16 Jan 2011 at 10:17 pm #

Costco has real maple syrup most of the time. $17 for a liter. Not a bad price.

12. Avery on 16 Jan 2011 at 11:18 pm #

MMmmmmmm… SODIUM HEXAMETAPHOSPHATE. I’ll bet that’s great spread on a biscuit. Ahem.

13. Nurse Jenn on 17 Jan 2011 at 1:17 am #

I’m going to be the bad one who mentions her love of Aunt Jemima syrup. I know that I can’t pronounce most of the ingreds, but it is a taste that I grew up with. I might just make the waffles though on my day off :) Thanks for your inspiration!

14. Carolyn B on 17 Jan 2011 at 4:41 am #

15. Carolyn B on 17 Jan 2011 at 4:42 am #

I made syrup last week using the 2:1 ratio you mentioned but used apple cider instead of water. Super yummy. We usually only use real maple syrup, but this came in a close second.

16. Chrissy on 17 Jan 2011 at 6:41 am #

Yay! I’m living in a village in southern Greece and of course they do not have maple syrup! I’ll be trying this recipe VERY soon!

17. Cathy N in Inglewood Calgary on 17 Jan 2011 at 6:49 am #

The cheapest of all (when you are talking $, not your time) is to make your own REAL maple syrup! When we lived in Nova Scotia our neighbour owned a ‘sugar bush’ (that’s just a bunch of sugar maples growing on his land!). One year we asked if we could tap their trees and try our hand at making maple syrup. Did you know that pure sap from a Sugar Maple looks and tastes just like water- no apparent sweetness at all! The amount of entertainment that this project provided for much of that year and the next was well worth the time and effort we put into it. Our friends still talk about our “sugaring off’ party! And the result? Lots of maple syrup that tasted like ambrosia…mmmmmm…

18. Mary Ann on 17 Jan 2011 at 7:12 am #

17$ !? Wow- stock up the next time you’re in Quebec- you can buy a case of the stuff straight from the sugar shack that produced it for about 6$ a can. Even if you purchase a fancy bottle from a tourist shop it’s still only around 10$.

19. Robin (Hippo Flambe) on 17 Jan 2011 at 7:46 am #

Is high fructose corn syrup not as common in Canada? Just one more thing Canada has over us. I guess with universal health care HFCS would be too expensive in the long run.

I wonder if you can make quinoa flour at home by grinding quinoa or if it needs to be washed first to make it less bitter.

-Robin

20. jake on 17 Jan 2011 at 7:58 am #

homemade chokecherry syrup…nothing better. The Mother Mountain stuff from the Tea House in Delia is pretty darn good too.

21. Erica B. on 17 Jan 2011 at 8:37 am #

I grew up going to sugaring off parties. A maple taffy pull on fresh snow was an annual ritual. I miss having local maple syrup producers. For anyone reading outside of Alberta we don’t have Sugar Maples – so there are no sugar shacks here hence the prices.

Love the idea of quinoa flour in waffles – definitely have to try this! Thank you Julie & Brooklyn Supper for sharing!

22. Manon from Ontario on 17 Jan 2011 at 9:33 am #

Good freezing Monday morning to you my friend….

You should keep an eye on your mail this week!

Have a great week :)

MFO
    xo

23. Manon from Ontario on 17 Jan 2011 at 9:40 am #

And Mary Ann, we have great maple syrup producers here in Ontario too :)

Erica B. If you buy 1 litre/500 ml of maple syrup, which we sell for $17/$9, you can make plenty of taffy on the snow…just boil gently to 236F without stirring, I usually make it in a 2 L stainless steel tea pot with spout, and when it’s ready you just let it stop boiling and pour in strips over snow, pick up with wooden sticks or plastic spoons….enjoy!

24. Bonnie Vox on 17 Jan 2011 at 1:53 pm #

One thing our family eats for a breakfast treat is Skinny Pancakes with Dutch Butter. Dutch butter (not sure why it’s called this) is made by heating Roger’s golden syrup with a stick of butter and stirring until combined. Then you pour the buttery goodness over the skinny pancakes. The irony of it!

25. Gemma on 17 Jan 2011 at 3:11 pm #

We have waffles for breakfast, lunch and supper around here. Topped off with fresh fruit (or thawed frozen berries at this time of year) and Roger’s syrup there is no “right” time of day to have them. Bonnie, I love the sounds of your Dutch Butter, it’s definitely something we will try!

26. JulieVR on 17 Jan 2011 at 3:24 pm #

Bonnie!! Dutch butter!! How did I not know about this? I’m glad to hear people know of Rogers’ Golden Syrup (and Lyle’s) – are the skinny pancakes like crepes?

27. EM on 17 Jan 2011 at 5:42 pm #

my gram always made syrup for pancakes with Molasses and brown sugar a bit of an acquired taste and I don’t know if it is an English thing my a good portion of my family is addicted to molasses and toast

28. Christine on 18 Jan 2011 at 5:32 pm #

I love that you made your own syrup! Have you tried Summerland Sweets Sugar Free Syrups? They’re a bit more liquidy than their sugar counterparts, but just as tasty!

29. Dahlia on 18 Jan 2011 at 6:14 pm #

Wow! I didn’t realise how lucky I was to have such ready access to maple syrup in Montreal… And I thought Loblaws was overdoing it by charging 10 bucks per ┬Żliter cans!
    I usually get mine by the case from the sugar bush. It comes out to 6$ a can. And when I run out, I go to the farmers’ market where they cost 8$, or if I happen to be swinging by my CSA farm to pick up some eggs, they have organic maple syrup for 9$.
    I guess the next time I go out West to visit, I’ll be lugging a case of maple syrup!

30. Bonnie Vox on 19 Jan 2011 at 1:24 pm #

Julie, skinny pancakes are thicker than crepes and flatter and denser than regular pancakes. I’ll post the recipe here later. My sister once added buttermilk, which made them puffier for some reason. She got a sever scolding :-)

31. Nutty Meg on 19 Jan 2011 at 1:35 pm #

I did get a severe scolding when I “messed” with the skinny pancakes…I think outside of our family they are referred to as Swedish pancakes.

32. Martine on 20 Jan 2011 at 6:31 pm #

Still loving the waffles of insane greatness. Thanks for keeping us all entertained and encouraged about feeding our families.

33. Carly on 03 Feb 2011 at 7:29 am #

Hi there,

Just to double check, it’s COOKED quinoa in the waffles?

Thanks!

34. JulieVR on 03 Feb 2011 at 7:45 am #

Carly – no, it’s quinoa flour. You can buy it at most health food stores.

35. Orange Pecan Pancakes with Homemade Brown Sugar Syrup « Korena in the Kitchen on 09 Mar 2011 at 9:23 pm #

[…] Original recipe from Dinner with Julie […]

36. Deanna on 13 May 2011 at 8:39 pm #

Where can you buy Lyle’s Golden Syrup in Calgary?

37. JulieVR on 13 May 2011 at 9:43 pm #

Hmmm.. try London Drugs or Sunterra – or Rogers’ Golden Syrup is a good (local!) substitute, available everywhere!

38. google on 06 Sep 2014 at 8:35 pm #

An impressive share! I have just forwarded this onto a friend who had been doing
    a little homework on this. And he in fact ordered me dinner due to the fact that I found it for him…
    lol. So let me reword this…. Thanks for the
    meal!! But yeah, thanx for spending some time to discuss this
    topic here on your blog.

Here is my web blog google

39. celebrity leaked photos on 04 Oct 2014 at 4:56 pm #

I installed MS Office 2007 Standard in June to my home computer, the week after school let out for the summer (no problems with the installation. When the weather is terrific, everybody loves going outdoors.
    A cedar fence or deck will provide you with a beautiful, long-lasting, natural finish to
    your Northwest yard.

40. https://www.facebook.com/office2010activator on 05 Oct 2014 at 9:21 am #

MCAS is the abbreviated form for Microsoft Certified Application Specialist.
    Yes, they can be a breeding place for bacteria or they may leak chemicals.
    Recovering password for excel with this powerful Win – Suite 2012
    is so easy and even a kid can take it.

My webpage microsoft office 2010 crack (https://www.facebook.com/office2010activator)