Curried Sweet Potato, Carrot & Red Lentil Soup with Ginger

Sweet%2BPotato%2BSoup%2B2 Curried Sweet Potato, Carrot & Red Lentil Soup with Ginger

Sorry guys, it’s taken me awhile to get this soup up – I keep getting requests for it, and understandably – it’s one of my absolute favourites, one I should really have a stash of at all times. It’s the perfect midwinter soup – warm and sippable with protein and spice and beta carotene and all good things. (You may recognize the photo from a year-old issue of Parents Canada-taken out in Tofino! SIGH.) Print this recipe out RIGHT NOW and stick it on your fridge. Please.

In case you didn’t know – it seems a great many people are less familiar with dried lentils than I am – red lentils don’t need to be presoaked. Having been split in half, they can be tossed straight into the soup and cooked along with the vegetables. Take this soup with you to go in an insulated coffee mug to keep it warm.

Curried Sweet Potato, Carrot & Red Lentil Soup with Ginger

canola or olive oil, for cooking
1 medium onion, chopped
1-2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 Tbsp. grated fresh ginger
1/2 cup dry red lentils
1 medium dark-fleshed sweet potato, peeled and cut into chunks
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 tsp. curry paste or powder, or to taste
4 cups (1 L) chicken or vegetable stock
salt, to taste
1/4-1/2 cup half & half, plain yogurt or heavy cream (optional)

In a medium pot, heat a drizzle of oil over medium-high heat and sauté the onion, garlic and ginger for 3-4 minutes, until soft. Add the lentils, sweet potato, carrots, curry paste and stock, along with a cup of water. Bring to a boil, then turn the heat down, cover and simmer for half an hour, until the vegetables are very tender.

Season with salt, add the half & half (if you’re using it) and use a hand-held immersion blender to puree it right in the pot. Alternatively, transfer it in batches to a blender and puree until smooth or mash it roughly with a potato masher.

Serve hot. Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to a week, or cooled and frozen for up to 6 months. Serves 4.

Per serving: 241 calories, 4.4 g fat (1 g saturated fat, 2.2 g monounsaturated fat, 1.1 g polyunsaturated fat), 13.5 g protein, 37 g carbohydrates, 7 mg cholesterol, 5.4 g fiber

pixel Curried Sweet Potato, Carrot & Red Lentil Soup with Ginger
button print gry20 Curried Sweet Potato, Carrot & Red Lentil Soup with Ginger

February 02 2011 09:38 pm | soup

20 Responses to “Curried Sweet Potato, Carrot & Red Lentil Soup with Ginger”

1. Elaine on 03 Feb 2011 at 8:18 am #

This one looks lovely! I’ve been on a sippable soup kick of late, and anything that combines sweet potato and a bit of spice is a very good thing in my book.

2. Tweets that mention Curried Sweet Potato, Carrot & Red Lentil Soup with Ginger | dinner with Julie -- Topsy.com on 03 Feb 2011 at 9:12 am #

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Julie Van Rosendaal, Manure Tea Gardening. Manure Tea Gardening said: RT @dinnerwithjulie: It's baaaack! http://fb.me/PBtqc0AR […]

3. Cathy on 03 Feb 2011 at 10:07 am #

Yum,this looks delicious! I made a beet and red lentil soup last weekend, full of veggies. Love the soup recipes Julie!

4. Laurie from Burnaby on 03 Feb 2011 at 11:02 am #

Lovely soup for the winter

5. Robyn on 04 Feb 2011 at 5:43 pm #

I made this for dinner tonight. Simple, lovely and delicious. Thanks!

6. sonja on 07 Feb 2011 at 1:03 pm #

WOW!!!!I love this soup!!! going to get another bowl :) Thank You!!!

7. Kara on 08 Feb 2011 at 3:15 pm #

Hi Julie,

Could you clarify what you mean by dark-fleshed sweet potato? Do you mean a yam with the orangey insides (that are sometimes referred to as sweet potatoes) or some form of sweet potato that is darker than the usual light yellowish colour? Thanks

PS Just found your site. Will be setting up an RSS feed.

8. Curried Carrot and Lentil Soup « On a Pizza on 09 Feb 2011 at 4:26 am #

[…] and I haven’t had any in a while. Delicious! Curried Carrot and Lentil Soup adapted from DinnerwithJulie.com Curried Carrot and Lentil […]

9. Heather on 23 Mar 2011 at 9:25 pm #

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. My family and I love this recipe.

10. JulieVR on 23 Mar 2011 at 9:30 pm #

So glad to hear! it’s really so simple!

11. JulieVR on 23 Mar 2011 at 9:31 pm #

Kara – yes, I mean the darker fleshed sweet potatoes that are often mistakenly labeled as yams (a true yam is rare in north America, and very different from these!) – there are two common varieties of sweet potato – longer, thinner, paler-fleshed ones, and bigger, rounder, darker-flashed ones. The latter are more nutrient-dense.

12. Ashley on 24 Mar 2011 at 9:09 pm #

I made this last week and loved it! So easy to make, so simple, and delicious! Thanks for sharing it. :)

13. Curried Sweet Potato, Carrot, and Red Lentil Soup with Ginger « More Spinach, Please on 27 Oct 2011 at 5:42 pm #

[…] Curried Sweet Potato, Carrot, and Red Lentil Soup with Ginger  (from DinnerwithJulie.com) […]

14. Amanda on 02 Jan 2012 at 6:57 pm #

Printed it and am putting it on my fridge! I hope to make it later this week.

15. Naomi on 20 Jan 2012 at 12:17 pm #

Thank you for the recipe! I fried the onions and ginger in coconut oil – it’s divine.

16. sara on 08 Oct 2012 at 8:46 pm #

I made this for dinner tonight since we had carrots, sweet potatoes, AND onions from our CSA – the perfect recipe!! I used garam masala in place of the curry powder. Totally delicious – a super healthy and yummy soup, and love the addition of lentils to make it a bit more hearty. Thanks for sharing a great recipe!

17. Erica on 21 Jan 2013 at 12:06 pm #

I made this today – only change I made was that I did not puree or mash whatsoever. Delicious! Exactly how I was hoping it would turn out. Thank you!

18. Greens with Quinoa & Strawberries and Dark Chocolate Chunk Oat Cookies » Dinner With Julie on 05 May 2013 at 8:52 pm #

[…] sweet potato, red lentil and carrot with coconut milk and ginger – it’s one I’ve posted here often, made with vegetable stock and a can of coconut milk. Always a hit. I made vats of the […]

19. Lisa Finlayson on 07 Oct 2013 at 1:11 pm #

I made this for tea tonight and even my 10 year old daughter love it , this soup is devine xx

20. Catherine on 08 Nov 2013 at 4:21 am #

This looks great. I recently made a delicious curried carrot and cauliflower soup from the Weelicious website. It had garam masala, cinnamon and curry powder in it. Soups like this are perfect for autumn and winter.