Coffee and Homemade Timbits

Juniper%2B%2526%2Btimbits Coffee and Homemade Timbits
Timbits%2B2 Coffee and Homemade Timbits
Timbits Coffee and Homemade Timbits

It turned somehow into a coffee and doughnuts sort of a weekend, with plenty of friends popping in to hang out in our kitchen nook. Which made it just fine to not be jetting off to Mexico on a long weekend that began and is ending with below -20 temperatures.

Because this extended deep freeze means we hardly see our neighbours out on the street anymore, I sent out an email to invite a few to pop in over the weekend, and then didn’t even clean the house. Sliding into bed at midnight on Friday, it occurred to me that extra mouths coming over provided the perfect opportunity to make doughnuts. What better bait than coffee and homemade doughnuts? I have this fab old doughnut cutter that I never get to use, mostly because I’m afraid of taking it for a whirl without backup. (I cannot be alone in the presence of dozens of warm doughnuts, although it has been a dream of mine since I was a kid and read about Curious George letting loose in a doughnut factory.) Besides, Mike has been practicing his barista-ing with our new coffee/espresso machines – we now have what has become a full-on coffee station beside the sink and under the spice racks.

We got it into our heads over the holidays that none of the myriad of coffee-producing kitchen gadgets currently taking up space in the basement actually produced a satisfactory cup of coffee – under our operation, anyway. We were spending altogether too much on coffee shop coffee, and I had lazily regressed to be dependent on instant espresso. Something had to give. I had been tweeting out a lot of questions about how to go about buying an espresso machine – what to look for and such – I’m truly no expert when it comes to brewing coffee. Turns out there are people out there who roast their own beans in their hot air popcorn poppers. Hard core, man. We did our due diligence on Coffee Geek and wound up ordering a Lelit PL 041 espresso machine – the highest rating for the lowest money. In fact, it was the only machine as highly rated that came in at under about $1000. (It was about $500.) I’ve had plenty of people ask me to write about how it’s going, and so far so good – although our burr grinder hasn’t arrived yet, the machine appears to work beautifully. Mike is having a blast playing barista and attempting to master his foam art.

A few days after the Lelit arrived, an enormous box showed up in the mail. The fine folks at Reunion Island Coffee in Ontario had seen my plight on twitter (obviously clueless and looking for help to make my own coffee in the mornings) and sent me a BUNN My Cafe Home Single Cup Coffee Maker. So thoughtful.

At first I thought I’d do a free stuff giveaway. Then we thought we’d better try it, to see how it works and all. Then I thought since it was out of the box I’d give it to my sister across the street, who hardly has time to bother setting up and brewing coffee just for herself – this gizmo does one cup at a time, straight into the cup. It’s a pod machine, which I was initially against, but rather than use plastic pods it uses biodegradable packets that look like round tea bags. You fill your mug with water, pour it into the tank in the back, stick in your pod, put the mug underneath and press a button. There are a ton of fair trade varieties to choose from, and rather than $2-$3 per pod, they cost around 50 cents each. And there’s no need for barista training. It appears I’m never going to use that espresso machine now.

Bunn%2Bpods Coffee and Homemade Timbits

Coffee%2Bmachines Coffee and Homemade Timbits

Just typing this, I realized my sis should have one, too. I just ordered one online. Ali – look for it to arrive in the mail. I do love it, and the same unit appears to have many happy owners if you read the online reviews.

So now that we have our own veritable coffee corner, we hoped (or I did, at least) our kitchen might turn into a weekend morning hangout. (I’d love to go buy a plexiglass display case to fill with muffins, scones and doughnuts for such occasions.) Because W asks on a regular basis for Timbits, I told him we’d make them, which it turns out was far more exciting than hitting the drive-thru. We mixed up a batch of yeast dough and let it sit.

girls%2Bmaking%2Bdonuts Coffee and Homemade Timbits

There were little girls over, and so I gave them the dough and cutters and let them go to it. J’s mom told a story of when she was little and her grandma made doughnut holes and let her shake them up in a paper bag of cinnamon sugar, and so we did the same. (I could only find bags meant for popcorn.)

Juniper%2Bshaking%2Btimbits Coffee and Homemade Timbits

Cinnamon%2BSugar%2BTimbits Coffee and Homemade Timbits

We also made fritters, while we had oil in the pot. My plan was to make sour cream Timbits, but when I extracted the sour cream from the fridge, it was more than just sour. So I referred to a few of my favourite food experts, and came up with a simple lemon yogurt fritter than delivered all it promised with under 5 minutes of mix-up time. They’re sweet and subtly lemony, with great crunch and soft, cakey middles. If you have a levered ice cream scoop, you’ll feel like a pro dropping perfectly round orbs of soft dough into the oil to cook until they’re crispy. It turns out these are perfect to serve with hot chocolate post-winter skate or hockey game.

Lemon%2Bfritters%2B1 Coffee and Homemade Timbits

Lemon%2Bfritters Coffee and Homemade Timbits

You’ll find the lemon fritter recipe over at the Family Kitchen, and it’s worth printing out and keeping. It uses ingredients you probably already have – a glug of bottled lemon juice worked out just fine if you don’t have fresh lemons. They seem a little more upscale than the average donut. I have fond memories of that tang and crunch.

As for the cinnamon-sugar Timbits, they were made from a yeast-raised dough, so could really be turned into any variety of glazed doughnut. For the first batch I tried Lara Ferroni’s raised doughnuts, knocking down the yeast to a tablespoon, and they turned out very well, but I found I needed at least a cup of flour more than the recipe calls for. I poked around and morphed a bunch of recipes for yeast-raised doughnuts, most of which are pretty similar.

If you have a few pals who like coffee (or tea) who are willing to hang out in your nook for a few hours, it’s a fun/delicious side project.

Yeast Raised Doughnuts (for doughnuts or Timbits/donut holes)

1 Tbsp. active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1 1/2 cups lukewarm milk
1/2 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1/4 tsp. salt
5 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup butter or shortening, softened

canola oil, for cooking
sugar spiked with cinnamon, for rolling (optional)

In a small bowl, stir together the yeast and water and set aside for 5 minutes. (If it doesn’t get foamy, toss it out!) In a large bowl, stir together the milk, sugar and eggs; add the yeast mixture and stir until well combined. Add 2 cups of the flour and the salt and beat until well blended. Add the butter and beat until incorporated.

Add the rest of the flour gradually, stirring (or using the dough hook on a stand mixer) until the dough comes together and isn’t too sticky. Continue to beat with the dough hook or turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic. Cover and let sit for an hour, until doubled in size.

Roll or pat the dough out and cut into doughnuts or rounds (if you don’t have a doughnut cutter, use a round cutter or glass rim, then another smaller round cutter for the middle), or into small (about 1/2-inch) plugs to make Timbits. Cover and let sit for a half hour to an hour, until they get poufy again. (They’ll rise even more as they cook.)

Heat a couple inches of oil in a heavy pot until hot but not smoking. Gently cook the doughnuts/Timbits in batches, without crowding, turning as needed until golden on both (or all) sides. Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and transfer to a plate lined with paper towels. While still warm, toss in a shallow bowl of cinnamon sugar to coat. Makes lots.

pixel Coffee and Homemade Timbits
button print gry20 Coffee and Homemade Timbits

February 21 2011 09:02 pm | breakfast

27 Responses to “Coffee and Homemade Timbits”

1. Beverley M on 21 Feb 2011 at 9:24 pm #

You are a dangerous, dangerous woman.

2. JulieVR on 21 Feb 2011 at 9:25 pm #

I know. Sorry.

3. Alison on 21 Feb 2011 at 9:28 pm #

Woo hoo! I’m now down to not even having to cross the street for coffee… So, so spoiled, I know.

4. JulieVR on 21 Feb 2011 at 9:31 pm #

Oops – I hadn’t thought of that! I’m not getting you a doughnut machine though.

5. Tweets that mention Coffee and Homemade Timbits | dinner with Julie -- Topsy.com on 21 Feb 2011 at 9:33 pm #

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Julie Van Rosendaal, James Kendal. James Kendal said: Yummy RT @dinnerwithjulie This weekend our kitchen nook turned into a coffee shop. http://fb.me/Bc0eGHWD [...]

6. Michelle on 21 Feb 2011 at 10:24 pm #

Oh I must try these this week…my little ones begs for a trip through Tim Horton’s for Timbits.

Thanks !!

7. Cheryl F on 21 Feb 2011 at 11:12 pm #

I want to live on your street!

8. A Canadian Foodie on 22 Feb 2011 at 3:30 am #

Such adorable photos of the kiddies baking. I love to see kids in the kitchen. That’s what life is all about. I so miss those days – the ones you have recreated in your neighbourhood… and that seems to only happen when the kids are young. People popping in and out. Over for coffee. Visits in the yard and a drink after dinner. There are no children in our neighbourhood. :( I invited everyone over for a meet and greet cocktail evening when we were all new and had just moved in 8 years ago. I was trying to get that same homey neighbourhood feeling going over here. But, life is not like that when the kiddies have left the home. In the 8 years we have been in our new home the neighbours have come and gone, and no one is even around in the summer or the winter. I don’t know where they go – to their second home somewhere.
    I miss that comradery. Good for you. Maybe if I had made donuts instead…
    Valerie

9. Coffee and Homemade Timbits | dinner with Julie | Coffee on 22 Feb 2011 at 5:11 am #

[...] the original: Coffee and Homemade Timbits | dinner with Julie ← c8uh4fa3dj – Most complete knowledge of the world's coffee, you [...]

10. tara on 22 Feb 2011 at 5:36 am #

darn it, showing S this post and proving to him we need a better coffee maker. what fun! and, by the way, that photo of the cinnamon sugar timbits is gorgeous.

11. Jennifer Jo on 22 Feb 2011 at 8:20 am #

I love that little coffee corner. So cozy.

12. Jan @ Family Bites on 22 Feb 2011 at 10:13 am #

I want to hang out in your kitchen. What a great little cozy set-up!

13. Erica Bell on 22 Feb 2011 at 10:16 am #

Ooh these look fantastic (and dangerous) I need to make these for our next party. : )

14. Cathy on 22 Feb 2011 at 10:47 am #

I want to live in your house!

15. Coffee and Homemade Timbits | dinner with Julie | Coffee Sales And Information on 22 Feb 2011 at 11:26 am #

[...] in the mornings) and sent me a BUNN My Cafe Home Single Cup Coffee Maker. … … Link: Coffee and Homemade Timbits | dinner with Julie ← The Tassimo T Discs Home Brewing System | Articles Directory [...]

16. buy lemons on 22 Feb 2011 at 11:34 am #

Now there are some neighbors who are really lucky to live near you. I’m sure you’re the most popular hangout on the block.

Every year I host a potluck dinner where everyone is asked to bring a lemon dish, from entrees to desserts. Everything has to have Meyer lemons in it. I just know your homemade lemon tidbits recipe will be a big hit.

Beverly

17. Cheryl on 22 Feb 2011 at 4:16 pm #

Do you have a hood fan? I’ve always stayed away from the fried goods because we have no hood fan. And the windows seem to be frozen shut.

18. JulieVR on 22 Feb 2011 at 4:26 pm #

Nope, no hood fan! Just have a crappy electric stove. Never seemed to make a difference! Yes, the kitchen does smell like a Tim Horton’s for a day or two afterwards…

19. Avery on 22 Feb 2011 at 9:35 pm #

Thanks for letting me eat my weight in baked goods in your kitchen, Julie. I held back only to not frighten our neighbors (and our children), with how many of those (warm!) doughnuts I could have eaten in quick succession…

20. JulieVR on 22 Feb 2011 at 9:40 pm #

Thanks for saving me from myself! I’m sure I would have eaten twice as many…

21. Cathy N in Inglewood Calgary on 23 Feb 2011 at 7:34 am #

Mmmmmmm… I used to make doughnuts way back when I was living in New Zealand and you’re right… it’s like honey to bees – all of a sudden my kitchen nook was full of people…what fun it was! I must re-kindle that spirit! Thanks for the inspiration :-)

22. Dana on 23 Feb 2011 at 10:15 pm #

How do I not make these now that I know they’re so easy? :(

23. Shauna on 04 Mar 2011 at 3:22 pm #

Just curious, what burr grinder did you decide to get, and are you happy with it?

24. Ilan (IronWhisk Blog) on 03 Nov 2011 at 8:09 pm #

Looks tasty :D

I make churros with a choux pastry dough (in fact I have a recipe on my site) which is pretty much like this so I can imagine that these taste great :D

Nice pictures! :)

25. bazzinga on 14 Mar 2012 at 6:29 am #

why are they so hard to make i love timbits they are canadian like me but i cant make them as good as them

26. Online Marketing And Advertising Degree on 01 Oct 2013 at 6:31 pm #

Establishing a web presence in the form of a dedicated website for your business is critical for
    your online marketing plan. You have to consider that with all the
    competition from other websites online, what other promotional alternatives do you have that
    do not cost a fortune. More importantly, I certainly didn’t know
    how to do this online, aside from making the basic Kijiji and Craigslist ads.

My web blog; Online Marketing And Advertising Degree

27. engadget tfa9895 on 05 Dec 2013 at 1:12 pm #

Attractive section of content. I just stumbled upon
    your blog and in accession capital to assert that
    I acquire in fact enjoyed account your blog posts. Anyway I will be
    subscribing to your augment and even I achievement you access consistently quickly.