Homemade Fish & Chips

Fish%2B%2526%2Bchips Homemade Fish & Chips

Check it out! I made fish & chips from scratch today. Before 8 am, even.

I made chips the easy way – using that new method I learned from Cooks Illustrated. I put them on, sliced the fish, dredged and fried it, and the whole lot took under 30 minutes and made a great many people very happy.

I made a wobbly mayo to go with, using a generous spoonful of grainy dill Brassica mustard.

And the mushy peas – boil peas, then mush them with a dab of butter, splash of cream, and salt and pepper. Yes, I realize it’s not authentic, but it’s yummier than most mushy peas I’ve had.

Beer Battered Fish (for Fish & Chips)

1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, divided
1 1/2 lb cod or haddock filets, skinned
1 12 oz. bottle cold beer
canola oil, for cooking
coarse salt

Put 1/4 cup of the flour into a shallow dish. Cut the fish fillets diagonally into 1-inch wide strips.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the remaining 1 1/2 cups flour, a pinch of salt and the beer – you should have a mixture with the consistency of pancake batter.

In a shallow, heavy pot, heat a couple inches of oil until it registers 375°F.
Pat fish dry with paper towels and dredge in the flour, shaking off the excess. Coat a few pieces at a time in the batter and then into the oil. Cook, turning as needed, for 4-5 minutes, until deep golden and cooked through. Transfer to paper towels to drain and cool, then sprinkle with salt. Serves 4-6.

pixel Homemade Fish & Chips
button print gry20 Homemade Fish & Chips

February 22 2011 09:06 pm | seafood

16 Responses to “Homemade Fish & Chips”

1. the other Al on 22 Feb 2011 at 10:50 pm #

I would eat Fish n Chips for breakfast! Anytime you want to cook this for me I’m there.

2. Jess on 23 Feb 2011 at 4:20 am #

I just had fish and chips the other night for the first time in ages. It hit the spot. Before 8am? Does that mean you had fish and chips for breakfast. Stranger things have happened, I suppose! (And mushy peas – awesome!)

3. Natalie (ga) on 23 Feb 2011 at 6:06 am #

Spot on!

4. JulieVR on 23 Feb 2011 at 7:17 am #

Sorry, that was a little cryptic! I made it for the morning show on CBC radio.

5. Nutty Meg on 23 Feb 2011 at 7:48 am #

Have you tried Jamie Oliver’s Minty Mushy peas?…also tres easy and tasty!

6. JulieVR on 23 Feb 2011 at 7:55 am #

Oooh, sounds fab! And leaves your breath minty fresh, I’ll bet!

7. Michelle on 23 Feb 2011 at 8:02 am #

This might be one of my favorite dishes. The best fish – chips – peas I have ever ate was in Squamish BC. I actually will find any excuse to be in the town and always follow the day with the dish.

8. Vivian on 23 Feb 2011 at 10:12 am #

Question for Michelle: Where do you go in Squamish for the fabulous fish and chips? I often drive up for a day visit whenever I stay in N. Van. It would be great to have a really good feed of F&C when there. Of course, I am definitely going to give this recipe a try too! Beer batter is also super for onion rings!

9. Sharlene on 23 Feb 2011 at 8:55 pm #

Homemade fish and chips is one of our favorite meals. Yum!

10. Dana on 23 Feb 2011 at 10:07 pm #

This brings me right back to being a little girl at my grandma’s house. She could make fish and chips like few others.

11. Michelle on 24 Feb 2011 at 7:46 am #

My goddaughter is studying in London this semester and we were just talking about the fish and chips. :) Yours look perfect.

12. Tweets that mention Homemade Fish & Chips | dinner with Julie -- Topsy.com on 24 Feb 2011 at 12:06 pm #

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by i Fished, cathleen mackay. cathleen mackay said: Homemade Fish & Chips | dinner with Julie: Check it out! I made fish & chips from scratch today. Before 8 am, ev… http://bit.ly/gj8zr4 […]

13. Kankana on 25 Feb 2011 at 12:48 am #

I am new blogger .. started in Jan this year. As I was blog hopping I came across your FANTASTIC blog.. there is soo much to learn for here.. will visit you every day ..

14. Shannon on 28 Feb 2011 at 9:51 am #

Hi Julie,

For the fries, what temperature do you “boil” them at? High, or medium-high?

Also, have you tried this with sweet potato or beets? Just wondering if they come out as crispy.

Thanks,

15. Cheryl on 01 Mar 2011 at 4:33 pm #

I caught an episode of America’s Test Kitchen a month or two ago. They did the fries, but they said they’d updated the method. And now I can’t remember the difference. Argh.

16. saveelectricitytips.tumblr.com on 04 Aug 2013 at 12:16 am #

My brother recommended I might like this blog.
    He was totally right. This post actually made my day.
    You can not imagine just how much time I had spent for this information!
    Thanks!

Here is my web-site Quotes (saveelectricitytips.tumblr.com)