Parsley Smoothies

parsley%2Bsmoothie%2B2 pola Parsley Smoothies

I’m not going all hardcore California health club wheatgrass shooters on you, but I’ve just discovered that I can deliver large handfuls of leafy greens – in the form of fresh parsley – into the boys (and myself), completely undetected. And I wanted to share the happy news.

In fact, they did bust me stuffing about half a bunch of curly parsley – stems and all – into their smoothie, and said little more than “oh wow! check it out!” I didn’t really intend to be sneaky about it – I don’t hide all their veggies – but I’d likely turn my nose up a bit if I caught someone stuffing a bunch of leaves into my smoothie. And you know how easily 5 and 8 year old boys can be grossed out. After that, there’s no turning back.

Of course fresh parsley, being dark and green and from the ground, is incredibly good for you. Among it’s other virtues it’s one of the foods highest in iron, which it turns out is good for gout and restless leg syndrome (known on Seinfeld as jimmy legs). Mike is the lucky host of both.

Do you think there are any other food blogs with open discussions about lice infestations and gout? And now jimmy legs? But wait, it’s relevant.

parlsey%2Bblender Parsley Smoothies

So the other day, in an attempt to ward off gout/jimmy legs, I jammed an enormous handful of curly parsley into the blender, poured in some orange juice and a few spoonfuls of plain yogurt, not to full-on smoothify it, but to make it a bit creamy and more palatable. I was just trying to get a largish quantity of parsley into Mike without him having to choke it down.

I handed him a glass. He said, “this tastes like something you’d drink in California.”

It wasn’t awful. I drank some, just to get the shot of nutrients (I like getting vitamins from my food, if at all possible), and it tasted fresh and green and slightly sweet. I think I liked it. The second time ’round I added some to the boys’ smoothie, which I generally make with a banana, plain yogurt, any miscellaneous squishy fruit that needs using up, and a good shake of frozen berries – the strawberry-blueberry-blackberry blend. Its purpleness masked any green bits, and it didn’t taste any different, and so parsley now sits in a glass of water in the fridge and is a key player in the production of all smoothies. Drinkable salad.

pixel Parsley Smoothies
button print gry20 Parsley Smoothies

February 27 2011 10:21 pm | beverages

24 Responses to “Parsley Smoothies”

1. Merry120 on 27 Feb 2011 at 10:59 pm #

I’ve been doing the same thing except with spinach. Evan doesn’t eat enough dark green veggies so I thought “what the heck” and threw in 3 mini bricks of frozen spinach into our smoothie. He has no idea and there isn’t much difference in taste. Easy peasy!

2. Robyn in Mountain (Ontario that is) on 28 Feb 2011 at 7:18 am #

Great idea! Julie, what liquid are you using in your smoothie?

3. JulieVR on 28 Feb 2011 at 7:41 am #

Usually I add a splash of milk – we don’t usually have juice around here but had some orange juice in the fridge, so sometimes use that!

4. Michelle on 28 Feb 2011 at 7:41 am #

During the winter months when cold salad doesn’t put wind up my skirt I toss a handful of leaves into my smoothie. I have even used kale with success.

5. Michelle on 28 Feb 2011 at 7:42 am #

I was meaning to say spinach leaves…

6. Brigid on 28 Feb 2011 at 9:04 am #

We use kale in our smoothies over here…super smoothies!

7. Vivian on 28 Feb 2011 at 9:36 am #

I like the term “jimmy legs” way better than RLS. I call it “crazy legs”. Must try this. It just makes sense. Let us know if it helps Mike…hope so.

8. Beverley M on 28 Feb 2011 at 10:10 am #

parsley in a glass of water… what a great idea. I should try that with cilantro — I always end up throwing out most of the bunch because my husband doesn’t like it and I can’t eat an entire bunch before it goes slimy

9. Lana in South Mountain (ON) on 28 Feb 2011 at 12:11 pm #

I knew people did this but didn’t know how you wouldn’t taste the parsley. I put a scoop of greens+ in my girls’ smoothies but might try this next time. I like the freshness idea of it!
    Hmmm..will let you know how it goes..

10. Manon from Ontario on 28 Feb 2011 at 1:20 pm #

Julie, we make smoothies here almost every day.
    That is why I always have orange juice ice cubes, and soy milk (chocolate, strawberry or vanilla) ice cubes in the freezer along with bananas. It’s a good way to get rid of some leftovers!

I also usually put a handful of spinach in mine ;)

Great for the body :)

Enjoy!

11. Leigh on 28 Feb 2011 at 2:22 pm #

Love the parsley idea. I found that Calcium with Magnesium really really helps my restless legs.

12. Amanda on 28 Feb 2011 at 3:10 pm #

I always add spinach to our smoothies. A few blueberries covers the green and the flavor. One day my husband asked if I put some in (in front of the kids) and my oldest son heard. Since then, he wont touch the smoothies. I’d never heard of parsley helping with RLS and gout. Thanks for the tip – I think I’ll get some parsley next time I’m out. I love my blendtec because I can get all those helpful things in one drink!

13. Elaine on 28 Feb 2011 at 6:46 pm #

This. Looks. Wonderful. Also: so spring-like!

14. Sarah Galvin (All Our Fingers in the Pie) on 28 Feb 2011 at 7:16 pm #

My first reaction was yeawww! But if you cannot taste it, why not. I’ll try it, with trepidation.

15. Elizabeth on 28 Feb 2011 at 7:49 pm #

Wonderful! I have half a bunch of parsley in the fridge that I didn’t know what to do with. Now I do :)
    Thank you!

16. Dana on 28 Feb 2011 at 8:04 pm #

What an interesting way of hiding greens! A smoothie a day keeps the doctor away, I have one pretty much every weekday morning.

17. Lesli on 01 Mar 2011 at 6:42 am #

..lol..I like blogs that refere to lice & gout.. :)

18. Cheryl on 01 Mar 2011 at 4:16 pm #

Jimmy Legs! In our house we call that the heebie jeebies, and I suffer. I had no idea it was linked to iron. No wonder it was always worse when I was pregnant.

19. Natalie (ga) on 01 Mar 2011 at 5:11 pm #

I didn’t realize how nutritionally sound parsley was…. since it is usually a garnish. I will now use more!

20. jocelyn colquhoun on 01 Mar 2011 at 9:04 pm #

Looks like a lot of people do what I often do and add kale or spinach to a smoothie. I even put in some flax and chia seed for added fibre and protein. It still tastes good with all the frozen berries and a little juice for sweetener.

21. molly on 03 Mar 2011 at 10:57 pm #

i added 10 — count ‘em, 10 — leaves of baby — baby! — spinach to my smoothie, once. meaning, an entire blender-full of smoothie ingredients. a vita mix blender, i might add, capable of pureeing cement blocks into velvet. and with god as my witness (though not my boy), my son immediately tasted, then upon searching, spied a microscopic filament of green. i couldn’t even see it. but hoo boy, did he notice. and refused to drink smooths for months, thereafter.

god love him, he’s the princess and the pea of eaters. alas, no more greens in our smoothees, phooey!

22. Elizabeth on 04 Mar 2011 at 4:58 pm #

Amazing! I really, really love parsley but never considered putting it in my smoothie. Looks tasty–a million times better than wheat grass shots.

23. Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit on 15 Mar 2011 at 12:22 pm #

I’ve just subscribed to your blog from a recommendation of a friend. It’s always nice to find other foodies in Calgary [it doesn't happen that often!] I’ve put spinach, kale, and collards in my smoothie but never parsley! It’s so darn good for you, I have no idea why I didn’t think of this. Looking forward to your future posts, Julie :)

24. Kathy fr. Chronic In the Kitchen on 28 Mar 2011 at 4:40 pm #

I’m gonna try this; got some parsley I need to use up. I have RLS. I did not know parsley was so high in iron. It’s also good for water retention.