Bacon, Leek and Gouda Pancake

Leek%2Bpancake%2B2 Bacon, Leek and Gouda Pancake

I’m back to my McGyvering ways, this time orchestrating a meal around two leeks that I did not want to compost. I tend to get stuck at potato soup when I come across a leek, but this time the sight of them triggered the memory or a recipe I had set aside. I found it. I had Gouda! I had bacon! I started to make it, cooking the bacon, then the sliced leeks, until crispy, thinking it was essentially a frittata, wondering why it was called a pancake and why I had set it aside, anyway. Then I noticed the flour in the batter – ah yes, a pancake. A light, eggy pancake, something similar to those puffed apple pancakes, only savoury. Exactly the sort of thing I’d file away in my mental card catalog.

Leeks Bacon, Leek and Gouda Pancake

Leek%2Bpancake Bacon, Leek and Gouda Pancake

Bacon, Leek and Gouda Pancake

6-8 slices bacon, chopped
2 large leeks (white and light green parts only), halved and thinly sliced
3 large eggs
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup all purpose flour
a spoonful of grainy mustard (1 tsp – 1 Tbsp)
1/2 tsp. sugar
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup shredded Gouda

Preheat oven to 450°F. In a large ovenproof (cast iron works great!) skillet, cook the bacon until crisp. Set aside, pouring off all but a couple spoonfuls of the drippings. Cook the leeks in the pan for 5-8 minutes, until soft and turning golden.

Meanwhile, whiz together the eggs, milk, flour, mustard, sugar, salt and pepper in a blender or food processor until smooth.

Scatter bacon over leeks in the skillet and pour the batter overtop; sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until slightly puffed and golden. Cut into wedges and serve warm. Serves 6.

pixel Bacon, Leek and Gouda Pancake
button print gry20 Bacon, Leek and Gouda Pancake

May 19 2011 11:10 pm | breakfast and eggs and one dish

17 Responses to “Bacon, Leek and Gouda Pancake”

1. Laurie from Burnaby on 19 May 2011 at 11:56 pm #

This looks wonderful!

2. Erin on 20 May 2011 at 7:10 am #

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

3. H-woman on 20 May 2011 at 8:43 am #

OMG…=)

4. H-woman on 20 May 2011 at 8:43 am #

OMG…

=)

5. inky077 on 20 May 2011 at 5:19 pm #

This looks terrific. I have to cook gluten-free, so this will be an easy modification – can hardly wait to try it for weekend brunch! I love your blog entries – always so enticing and interesting. :)

6. Shauna on 20 May 2011 at 5:22 pm #

OK, pretty sure that’s gonna be my Sunday morning breakfast!

7. Melanie on 21 May 2011 at 11:42 am #

I was inspired by your rescue of random refrigerator items…my Dad always layers things up in a modern quiche style with leftovers:

I cooked up some onions and peppers in a bit of oil, whisked together eggs and a bit of milk, and grated any cheese leftovers. I layered everything with 10 inch flour tortillas in an 8 inch round pan – one on the bottom as a base, some egg mix, veggies and cheese, added another, egg mix, veggies, cheese, and one to top it off and brushed with a little butter to crisp it up. The smaller pan makes the tortillas form a shallow bowl shape and hold the ingredients in on each layer. Bake at 350F for 30-40 minutes or so. Watch the top so it doesn’t burn!

8. stacey on 21 May 2011 at 3:09 pm #

ok…so one word…WOW. OK, 2, Thank You! It’s kind of rainy today, and my boys are all gone, so I stumbled upon a “me” day. Whipped this up for lunch, curled up with a book and listened to the rain. Couldn’t have been more perfect! Or delicious. YUM!! A perfect, perfect rainy-day girl food!

9. JulieVR on 21 May 2011 at 4:31 pm #

Melanie – wow, great idea!
    Stacey – so glad you enjoyed it! I could do with a day like that!

10. Kathleen on 21 May 2011 at 6:49 pm #

I made this for supper tonight…

and

ZOMG!!! it was completely delicious!

11. rea on 21 May 2011 at 7:20 pm #

pankkokken. it was delicious. next time, i’ll nix the gouda–couldn’t really taste it and fat is a consideration. drizzled with maple syrup. fan-fucking-tastic!

12. stacey on 22 May 2011 at 1:19 pm #

It’s one of those things that happen when a pre-planned movie date with Mom gets over-ridden by an opportunity to run through the neighborhood and shoot waterguns with friends instead…kids grow up too fast! Just yesterday he was a clingy, gangly, giggling guy who needed his Mom for darn near everything….Now, not so much….I guess I did a good job! Just wish i hadn’t blinked so much!

13. molly on 22 May 2011 at 9:47 pm #

oh, GOSH, this sounds good.

like right now.

14. JM on 23 May 2011 at 7:37 am #

We made this last night – used Sylvan Star extra aged gouda and it was fabulous!

15. Dana on 23 May 2011 at 8:28 pm #

I’ve been going through leeks like madness lately. This looks like something to make!

16. Robyn on 24 May 2011 at 9:20 am #

ooh i have two dying leeks in the fridge as well! i was going to make quiche this week, but i’ll make this instead!

17. Judy on 02 Jun 2011 at 8:59 pm #

What a lovely quick supper after the gym meal.
    We used a pepper bacon and smoked Gouda with baby leeks
    Yum yum