Bacon, Leek and Gouda Pancake

I’m back to my McGyvering ways, this time orchestrating a meal around two leeks that I did not want to compost. I tend to get stuck at potato soup when I come across a leek, but this time the sight of them triggered the memory or a recipe I had set aside. I found it. I had Gouda! I had bacon! I started to make it, cooking the bacon, then the sliced leeks, until crispy, thinking it was essentially a frittata, wondering why it was called a pancake and why I had set it aside, anyway. Then I noticed the flour in the batter – ah yes, a pancake. A light, eggy pancake, something similar to those puffed apple pancakes, only savoury. Exactly the sort of thing I’d file away in my mental card catalog.

Bacon, Leek and Gouda Pancake

6-8 slices bacon, chopped
2 large leeks (white and light green parts only), halved and thinly sliced
3 large eggs
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup all purpose flour
a spoonful of grainy mustard (1 tsp – 1 Tbsp)
1/2 tsp. sugar
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup shredded Gouda

Preheat oven to 450°F. In a large ovenproof (cast iron works great!) skillet, cook the bacon until crisp. Set aside, pouring off all but a couple spoonfuls of the drippings. Cook the leeks in the pan for 5-8 minutes, until soft and turning golden.

Meanwhile, whiz together the eggs, milk, flour, mustard, sugar, salt and pepper in a blender or food processor until smooth.

Scatter bacon over leeks in the skillet and pour the batter overtop; sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until slightly puffed and golden. Cut into wedges and serve warm. Serves 6.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Print Friendly

May 19 2011 11:10 pm | breakfast and eggs and one dish

17 Responses to “Bacon, Leek and Gouda Pancake”

1. Laurie from Burnaby on 19 May 2011 at 11:56 pm #

This looks wonderful!

2. Erin on 20 May 2011 at 7:10 am #

3. H-woman on 20 May 2011 at 8:43 am #

4. H-woman on 20 May 2011 at 8:43 am #

5. inky077 on 20 May 2011 at 5:19 pm #

This looks terrific. I have to cook gluten-free, so this will be an easy modification – can hardly wait to try it for weekend brunch! I love your blog entries – always so enticing and interesting. :)

6. Shauna on 20 May 2011 at 5:22 pm #

OK, pretty sure that’s gonna be my Sunday morning breakfast!

7. Melanie on 21 May 2011 at 11:42 am #

I was inspired by your rescue of random refrigerator items…my Dad always layers things up in a modern quiche style with leftovers:

I cooked up some onions and peppers in a bit of oil, whisked together eggs and a bit of milk, and grated any cheese leftovers. I layered everything with 10 inch flour tortillas in an 8 inch round pan – one on the bottom as a base, some egg mix, veggies and cheese, added another, egg mix, veggies, cheese, and one to top it off and brushed with a little butter to crisp it up. The smaller pan makes the tortillas form a shallow bowl shape and hold the ingredients in on each layer. Bake at 350F for 30-40 minutes or so. Watch the top so it doesn’t burn!

8. stacey on 21 May 2011 at 3:09 pm #

ok…so one word…WOW. OK, 2, Thank You! It’s kind of rainy today, and my boys are all gone, so I stumbled upon a “me” day. Whipped this up for lunch, curled up with a book and listened to the rain. Couldn’t have been more perfect! Or delicious. YUM!! A perfect, perfect rainy-day girl food!

9. JulieVR on 21 May 2011 at 4:31 pm #

Melanie – wow, great idea!
    Stacey – so glad you enjoyed it! I could do with a day like that!

10. Kathleen on 21 May 2011 at 6:49 pm #

I made this for supper tonight…

ZOMG!!! it was completely delicious!

11. rea on 21 May 2011 at 7:20 pm #

pankkokken. it was delicious. next time, i’ll nix the gouda–couldn’t really taste it and fat is a consideration. drizzled with maple syrup. fan-fucking-tastic!

12. stacey on 22 May 2011 at 1:19 pm #

It’s one of those things that happen when a pre-planned movie date with Mom gets over-ridden by an opportunity to run through the neighborhood and shoot waterguns with friends instead…kids grow up too fast! Just yesterday he was a clingy, gangly, giggling guy who needed his Mom for darn near everything….Now, not so much….I guess I did a good job! Just wish i hadn’t blinked so much!

13. molly on 22 May 2011 at 9:47 pm #

oh, GOSH, this sounds good.

like right now.

14. JM on 23 May 2011 at 7:37 am #

We made this last night – used Sylvan Star extra aged gouda and it was fabulous!

15. Dana on 23 May 2011 at 8:28 pm #

I’ve been going through leeks like madness lately. This looks like something to make!

16. Robyn on 24 May 2011 at 9:20 am #

ooh i have two dying leeks in the fridge as well! i was going to make quiche this week, but i’ll make this instead!

17. Judy on 02 Jun 2011 at 8:59 pm #

What a lovely quick supper after the gym meal.
    We used a pepper bacon and smoked Gouda with baby leeks
    Yum yum