Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Truffles (!)

Chocolate chip cookie dough truffles 1024x685 Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Truffles (!)

I forgot to mention the chocolate chip cookie dough truffles. (Yes, I did contribute to the potluck!)

On Friday night my 13 year old niece, Emily, came over to hang. To sit on the kitchen counter and talk about soccer tryouts (the provincial team! so proud) and boys, mostly. She wanted to bake. Often we make buns, but it was getting late, so chocolate chip cookies were decided on. For the dough, mostly. As we mixed and gabbed she decided to melt some chocolate chips and dip small pretzels into it, like those chocolate dipped pretzels you buy at the store. We sprinkled coarse salt on some, which wasn’t really necessary since the pretzels were covered with crunchy salt to begin with.

chocolate%2Bpretzels Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Truffles (!)

We were eating the dough, commenting on its vast superiority to baked cookies themselves, and then decided to chill rolled balls and DIP THEM IN CHOCOLATE. The result, of course, is a crisp chocolate shell with soft cookie dough inside. Hello, my love.

chocolate%2Bchip%2Bcookie%2Bdough%2Bballs Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Truffles (!)

Also? You don’t have to heat up the kitchen. Which I’m happy to report is starting to be an issue.

Dragonfly%2Bmaking%2Bcookie%2Btruffles Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Truffles (!)

We managed to save some for the potluck. They went quickly.

You could of course use any cookie dough for these. We used chocolate chip cookie dough – more or less the one on the back of the Chipits bag.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Truffles

You don’t need to add baking soda, since these won’t be going into the oven – if you’re going to bake them, add 1 tsp. baking soda to the flour.

3/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
pinch salt
3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided

In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugars for a minute or two, until fluffy; add the eggs and vanilla and beat again. Add the flour and salt and beat until almost combined; add half the chocolate chips and beat on low speed or stir just until blended.

Shape the dough into large marble-sized balls and place them on an ungreased baking sheet, then refrigerate or freeze until firm.

Melt the rest of the chocolate chips in a bowl in the microwave, or a small pot over low heat on the stovetop (careful it doesn’t burn!) – dip the balls of dough, using a fork if you want to coat them completely. Set them on a sheet of parchment or foil and let sit (or refrigerate) until firm.

Makes lots.

pixel Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Truffles (!)
button print gry20 Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Truffles (!)

May 31 2011 05:21 pm | cookies & squares and dessert

27 Responses to “Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Truffles (!)”

1. CathyH on 31 May 2011 at 5:27 pm #

Oh, YUM! These were bliss.

2. Joanne on 31 May 2011 at 5:43 pm #

Oh no, I didn’t see those! Are the raw eggs OK to eat?

3. JulieVR on 31 May 2011 at 5:44 pm #

Well, we’ve been eating cookie dough for years. So far so good!

4. Stacey on 31 May 2011 at 5:53 pm #

I almost fell out of my chair when this popped up on my screen! I was coming to the potluck again (i think that’s 30 times!) and suprise suprise! I found heaven instead….

Just as I was wondering what was for dinner….who says cookies can’t be for dinner?

5. Carolyn on 31 May 2011 at 6:55 pm #

Joythebaker.com has a recipe for eggless cookie dough that’s intended for eating raw. I think she made them as chocolate chip cookie dough lolipops, dipped in chocolate. Also, the hard boiled egg version you posted on our other blog just after Easter is pretty terrific raw.

6. Nurse Jenn on 31 May 2011 at 7:48 pm #

YUM! I think I found my new contribution to parties!

7. JulieVR on 31 May 2011 at 9:03 pm #

Pops! Even better! I’d think you could omit the eggs and cut back on the flour – it would be more like a shortbread cookie dough, which doesn’t have eggs to begin with!

8. Debbie Koenig on 31 May 2011 at 9:05 pm #

Yum! I make these too, only I call them Bonbons. So fancy ;) Also, try sprinkling them with flaky salt before the chocolate sets, mmm. If you’d rather not use raw egg, you can mix 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed with 3 tablespoons water to replace each egg. Let it sit for a few minutes and the texture will be very raw-egg-like.

9. Katie on 01 Jun 2011 at 7:07 am #

I make this and instead of dipping them in chocolate, I add them to homemade vanilla ice cream to make chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream! :)

10. Lana on 01 Jun 2011 at 9:34 am #

My children will think they have died and gone to heaven when we make these with their sleepover friends this weekend!
    Thank you for the great idea- and i will do the flax seed thing instead of eggs just for the FIBRE.

11. Beverley M on 01 Jun 2011 at 10:21 am #

I was just coming into the comments section to ask about the raw-egg issue and I see it’s been asked and answered! Thanks everyone, I may have to try this, sounds like fun :)

12. Lisa on 01 Jun 2011 at 12:03 pm #

How on earth did I miss these on Saturday…?

13. Kris on 01 Jun 2011 at 12:43 pm #

You can substitute applesauce for the eggs.

14. Laurie from Burnaby on 01 Jun 2011 at 2:26 pm #

I’m not worried about eating raw eggs – that’s like a prairie oyster. What worries me is eating raw flour. Could you make them without flour, somehow? Or cook them and dip them in chocolate?

15. sweetsugarbean on 01 Jun 2011 at 3:46 pm #

Oh my goodness. cookie dough inside chocolate. how come i’ve not tried this before?!!!

16. Shauna on 01 Jun 2011 at 5:03 pm #

These look ridiculously amazing and naughty. I posted them on Pinterest, and immediately had like 10 re-pins. You’re gonna be double-famous!

17. Angela on 01 Jun 2011 at 9:25 pm #

Why not take it even further and place the chocolate-dipped balls onto the pretzels?

18. JulieVR on 01 Jun 2011 at 9:46 pm #

OH. YES.

19. molly on 03 Jun 2011 at 10:44 pm #

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again:

You are a GENIUS!

20. Cheryl on 04 Jun 2011 at 8:33 am #

Your cookie dough from One Smart Cookie is one of the best raw doughs, these are genius!

21. Michelle on 06 Jun 2011 at 9:22 am #

You can use flax meal and water mixture in place of eggs. Works wonderful!

22. JulieVR on 06 Jun 2011 at 10:01 am #

Good idea! but because the eggs don’t do anything structurally to contribute to these cookies (as they’re not baked), you could just leave them out and cut back on the flour!

23. Robyn in Mountain (Ontario that is) on 06 Jun 2011 at 3:21 pm #

Yay, Julie! You’ve done it again!! Brilliant idea!!!
    And why not raw eggs. Haven’t we been eating them all these years in Caesar salads, chocolate mousse, and other culinary delights? Somehow I don’t believe good Canadian eggs would ever be a concern.

24. NotsoBakingsavy on 08 Jun 2011 at 6:04 pm #

Love this… Just one question… If eliminating the eggs reduce the flour by hoe much?

25. NotsoBakingsavy on 08 Jun 2011 at 6:06 pm #

Ooppss .. Should be “how”much..

26. Chicken Cacciatore » Dinner With Julie on 18 Apr 2013 at 2:16 pm #

[...] chip cookies down pat (and even invented the cookie dough truffle – how brilliant are these?) but although she often asks if we can cook together, we haven’t done much dinner-making. [...]

27. healthy chocolate on 23 Nov 2013 at 4:44 pm #

What’s up, this weekend is nice in favor of me, as this point in time i am reading this
    wonderful educational article here at my home.