Bacon Jam

Bacon Jam 1 717x1024 Bacon Jam

Right. Like I said, every time I bow out and plea too busy to post, I wind up posting more. Go figure.

This bacon jam. I did it for Swerve last week, and then served it to Jim this morning on a grilled burger. (I made the burgers out of half ground sirloin, half Spolumbo’s chorizo sausage, squeezed out of its casing. Shaped the pattie around a thick square slice of old cheddar. Then melted another square of Gouda on top on the barbecue for good measure.

To make the bacon jam, you chop and cook bacon, onions and garlic down with brown sugar and coffee and maple syrup until it turns into jam. Really. You should make this.

bacon%2Bfor%2Bjam Bacon Jam
bacon%2Bjam%2B2 Bacon Jam
bacon%2Bjam%2B3 Bacon Jam
bacon%2Bjam%2B4 Bacon Jam
Bacon%2Bjam%2B5 Bacon Jam

Bacon Jam

1 lb good-quality bacon
1 small onion, chopped
4-5 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup brewed coffee (hot or cold)
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar (optional)
1 Tbsp. grainy mustard (optional)

Roughly chop the bacon and cook it in a heavy pot; transfer to a bowl using a slotted spoon, draining off most of the drippings. Saute the onion and garlic cloves in the rest for 5 minutes, until soft and starting to turn golden. Return the bacon to the pan, add the brown sugar, coffee, maple syrup, vinegar and mustard and cook over medium heat for half an hour, or until deep golden and thickened to the consistency of jam. If you like, cool and pulse in the food processor for a finer texture. Serve warm or cold.

pixel Bacon Jam
button print gry20 Bacon Jam

June 21 2011 11:00 am | pork and preserves

75 Responses to “Bacon Jam”

1. Erica B. on 21 Jun 2011 at 11:18 am #

Oh. My. Word.

I’m making this as soon as I get bacon. What do you think of this as a teacher gift? Cinnamon buns might be safer but bacon jam would be memorable :)

2. Barbara B on 21 Jun 2011 at 11:21 am #

Do not make this jam unless you want to dream bacon jam dreams. I made this over the weekend and could hardly sleep for thinking up new things to put this amazing concoction on. I LOVE THIS JAM!!! So far I’ve had it on burgers, crackers, toast, and cheese rounds. There is no moderation where bacon jam is concerned. A dangerously delicious condiment!

3. gwendolyn on 21 Jun 2011 at 11:44 am #

Aha! I had bookmarked another version of this but it requires a slow cooker. Since I am slow-cookerless, I thought I would be resigned to a life without homemade bacon jam. It’s good (or perhaps not) to see I was mistaken. (I’m sure I would have figured this out on my own; I suspect I didn’t want to make the leap because I’m pretty sure this may be the most dangerous thing I learn to make this year.)
    Thanks (and damn you!)

4. H-woman on 21 Jun 2011 at 12:24 pm #

Is the coffee necessary? I despise all things coffee (ducking now to avoid things being hurled in my direction).

But I heard you sharing this with Jim this morning and was drooling….

5. Cory Lievers on 21 Jun 2011 at 12:44 pm #

Oh yummy, yummy. :)

6. Jennifer on 21 Jun 2011 at 12:51 pm #

GET OUT! Are you kidding me with this? I could very well eat this with nothing more than a spoon. Forget the whole condiment thing … I’m thinking this might be a newly discovered food group.

7. Robyn in Mountain (Ontario that is) on 21 Jun 2011 at 12:55 pm #

Does life get any better than this? Gonna give it a try with the new nitrate-free bacon. Yay! TKU, Julie!!!!!

8. Anonymous on 21 Jun 2011 at 1:02 pm #

Just imagine the bacon-and-tomato sandwiches that you could make with this…!

9. Laurie from Burnaby on 21 Jun 2011 at 1:26 pm #

Oh, thank you for posting this! I’ve wondered what was in it, and how to make it. Now I’ll keep this recipe forever! D)

10. stacey snacks on 21 Jun 2011 at 2:58 pm #

Julie,
    Ok, I am making this. It looks amazing.

Is the 1/2 cup of coffee, brewed coffee, the granules, cold, hot? Thanks in advance,
    Stacey

11. CathyH on 21 Jun 2011 at 3:41 pm #

Another amazing recipe. I will have to try this!

12. Carol SB on 21 Jun 2011 at 5:03 pm #

Ha ha! this is so cool. I made this on the weekend: it was my entry in the Annual Bacon Competition (the only difference between the Bacon Cup and the Stanley cup is the lack of cross-checking. Intrigue, espionage and attempts to corrupt the judge are not unknown).
    Fan- bloomin- tastic.
    The recipe I used called for a hot cup of coffee, which I used with some trepidation as the judge (the Dad; the Bacon Competition is in honour of Fathers’ day, after all!) doesn’t like coffee.
    But you couldn’t taste the coffee at all.
    I was considering subbing a beer for the coffee, actually….

13. sweetsugarbean on 21 Jun 2011 at 7:09 pm #

Sweet Lord! Julie, thank you for posting this!!!

14. Nurse Jenn on 21 Jun 2011 at 10:39 pm #

I can feel my future heart attack brewing right now. What a treat! Looking forward to trying in a modified BLT.

15. jess on 22 Jun 2011 at 8:50 am #

Holy Crap. This might be the best bruch condiment I’ve ever heard of. Woof.

16. suchalab on 22 Jun 2011 at 10:23 am #

yummo-that sounds and look sooo decadent :)

17. carrie on 22 Jun 2011 at 5:10 pm #

Wow, that’s a new one for me.
    But, i know it is probably good and tastes like honey baked ham :)

I did see a maple-bacon doughnut on the food network the other day.

18. Jenn on 22 Jun 2011 at 8:07 pm #

I made the jam tonight and there are no words to express its greatness. Thank you, Julie. My life is forever changed because of this jam. Resisting eating it by the spoonful is the hardest part.

19. Tara S on 22 Jun 2011 at 9:55 pm #

Oh my.. I will be making this ‘jam’, with the white cheddar biscuits, ASAP!! And/or using this on top of a round or brie!

How long would this last, in the fridge, I wonder?

20. Jennifer (Savor) on 23 Jun 2011 at 6:44 am #

OMG, must make this. Has no fat right?

21. Lana on 23 Jun 2011 at 8:03 am #

Holy Moly.
    I am making this on the weekend for sure! Wondering, how much does one batch make, and how long can it be stored? This would make great, unique gifts but I want to know if you can freeze it, or can it somehow..

22. Deb on 23 Jun 2011 at 9:29 am #

Brilliant. You are brilliant…..

23. Beverley M on 23 Jun 2011 at 10:29 am #

Hmm. I love bacon AND I’m pregnant (time of being willing to eat weird things)… in fact I even tried the bacon sundae at Dennys (vanilla ice cream with maple syrup and bacon). But this just does NOT sound good to me. Even the testimonies are not swaying me! :) I wonder if it’s in the name… somehow “bacon jam” just makes my brain go “ewww”

But if someone else made it, I would probably try it :)

24. Christina on 23 Jun 2011 at 6:02 pm #

Sweet SWEET Jesus!!! That’s all I can say right now!

25. Dixie Caviar on 24 Jun 2011 at 10:27 am #

I’m speechless. Like, lick-my-computer-screen speechless.

26. GJB on 25 Jun 2011 at 7:33 pm #

I read this and could hardly believe my eyes. I had heard everything taste better with bacon but this is truly….AWESOME. I made it and my friends don’t believe me when I tell them LOL!! One question..how long does it last in the fridge? Is there a so called “shelf life” to it (if it lasts that long) Thanks for sharing the recipe, it truly is good!!!!!

27. suchalab on 26 Jun 2011 at 5:32 pm #

made it last night! Man is this good, fantastic and suitable for spoonful eating from the cooled pot, from the serving dish, from the fridge, from…..yum!

28. Summer Food Bliss « blisteringlydrunk on 29 Jun 2011 at 2:50 pm #

[...] is, which recipe do you want first, the buns or the bacon jam? My guess is bacon jam, which is from Dinner with Julie, so without further adieu . . [...]

29. {Dining in: Roasted eggplant mango and snap pea w/ soba and my veggie eats lately} « Chocolate & Ginger on 29 Jun 2011 at 10:11 pm #

[...] I’ll post the recipe soon, but in the meantime you can drool over the girl who inspired me here. Thanks [...]

30. Bacon Jam?? — The Accessible Foodie on 30 Jun 2011 at 9:53 am #

[...] not sure, but I trusted our chef…).  With a little googling, I’ve found this and this and this.  (Click through if you’re curious what it looks like–I don’t have any [...]

31. Lisa on 01 Jul 2011 at 9:10 am #

I made this earlier in the week for a bbq with visiting family. If it’s possible to improve on Lina’s sausages, this was it!

My brother actually said it was “classy” in a totally non-Ron Burgundy tone of voice, and thought it would be great with a cheese plate. High praise from a bacon traditionalist….

Thanks Julie!

32. Amanda on 16 Jul 2011 at 1:33 pm #

I made this but used fig balsamic vinegar and added some chopped dried figs as well, AMAZING

33. stacey snacks on 21 Jul 2011 at 10:05 am #

Julie,
    Here it is. We loved it! thank you for posting it.

Best w/ a good cheddar swiped on a cracker.
    Can’t wait to make another batch!

34. Marie on 22 Aug 2011 at 12:54 pm #

Amazing. Simply amazing.
    I’m in love again.

35. Carly on 27 Aug 2011 at 5:17 pm #

The food blogs are right. Bacon Jam is a triumph. I made it today for girls’ night tonight, and they’d better watch out for some serious insanity. I added New Mexico red chile to mine, which really made it even better, as I think it needs heat.

Great recipe!

36. Karen on 28 Aug 2011 at 10:08 am #

Okay, I’m not sure you’re all ready for this, but I just made waffles with bacon jam IN THE BATTER. Seriously. Just take a moment to imagine.

37. JulieVR on 28 Aug 2011 at 10:13 am #

Oh. YES! Wait, I have to sit down. Wow, what a concept! as if bacon in waffles wasn’t delish enough!!

38. Patti Shea on 02 Oct 2011 at 1:26 pm #

I cannot WAIT to make this for Christmas gifts. Fantastic!

39. bob on 28 Oct 2011 at 1:59 pm #

Ground or brewed coffee? ? I dont understand how you can’t possibly specify.

40. Julie on 28 Oct 2011 at 2:19 pm #

Bob – coffee, brewed coffee. Not coffee grounds.

41. bob on 28 Oct 2011 at 2:27 pm #

Thanks Julie – 1 cup coffee in between 1/4 cup maple syrup and 1/2 cup brown sugar is very confusing.

Why not just edit the post to say “1/4 cup of brewed coffee”? Enough other people have asked.

I guess my first batch is going to be a bit strong in the coffee flavor…… :=/ Extra clarity is never a bad thing.

42. Julie on 28 Oct 2011 at 3:21 pm #

Bob – sorry, I didn’t notice that Stacey had asked too. I put the 1/2 cup coffee after 1/2 cup brown sugar so that the cook didn’t have to measure brown sugar in a wet measuring cup, if they were using the same cup. It didn’t occur to me anyone would think it was 1/2 cup of grounds or granules – I will edit to clarify.

43. SamiJoe on 04 Dec 2011 at 1:11 pm #

Making it right now. Quite the process, but I think everyone I plan on giving this too will go gobsmack crazy!

44. Michelle on 12 Dec 2011 at 6:11 pm #

Amazing! I was reading to can these, it requires a pressure cooker, not just water method and I don’t have a pressure cooker. How long would it last in the fridge if made? I want to do for Christmas gifts and have them refridgerate it but need a time line for going bad in a sealed jar.

45. JulieVR on 12 Dec 2011 at 6:33 pm #

Michelle – bacon keeps pretty well, so I’d say at least a week, most likely longer!

46. Sandra Lewis on 06 Jan 2012 at 6:42 am #

Best thing I have made in a while! YUMMY! and my kids loved it!

47. Meni on 06 Jan 2012 at 9:26 am #

looks very healthy

48. Christine on 19 Jan 2012 at 10:41 am #

I made this and it was delicious when fresh from the pan. Once it cooled it was a block of sticky bacon that was impossible do anything with. Did I cook too long? Not long enough?

49. kari on 19 Jan 2012 at 5:20 pm #

Mmmmm…just made this and it’s just as delicious as it sounds. Having it on burger’s tonight with some good sharp cheddar. Btw the recipe makes just over a pint.

50. Kate H on 11 Jul 2012 at 1:11 am #

I made this yesterday. I used Sherry vinegar instead of Apple Cider vinegar and added a couple of shakes of Buffalo Sauce (kind of a pureed chipotle sauce). It is amazing stuff.

Someone asked how long it keeps in the refrigerator. The answer is, not long unless you hide it! Mine made five 1/2 cup canning jars (2 1/2 cups). I am giving two away and freezing two, with one staying in my frig. Tomorrow I’m going to try some on a toasted onion bagel with cream cheese. Yum!

51. The infamous Bacon Jam, we don’t fool around when it comes to bacon « Not Crocker on 07 Oct 2012 at 11:10 am #

[...] Recipe from Dinner with Julie [...]

52. julie on 13 Nov 2012 at 2:58 pm #

How large of a batch does this recipe make? I want to jar it up for Christmas gifts.

53. julie on 13 Nov 2012 at 3:00 pm #

Never mind, someone else answered my question, I didn’t pay close enough attention to the other comments!

54. bacon jam « the kitchen diaspora on 17 Dec 2012 at 6:35 am #

[...] and I made Bacon Jam a few months ago, following this recipe from “Dinner with Julie“… we added a bit of whiskey and tripled the [...]

55. Denise on 28 Jan 2013 at 2:04 pm #

What can be used instead of coffee. We do not drink it and I need a substitution. thanks

56. Anne on 05 Feb 2013 at 9:03 pm #

This looks and sounds great! Do you give these as gifts?

57. Yvonne on 23 Mar 2013 at 8:56 am #

Heading out for bacon as we speak…..

58. Bacon Jam | Dreamy Blog on 08 Apr 2013 at 12:27 am #

[...] If you like this nice recipe idea, click here. [...]

59. Annie on 02 May 2013 at 12:19 pm #

Yum! Great idea. How long does this keep for?

60. Julie on 03 May 2013 at 9:46 am #

It never lasts long in our house, Annie! If you kept it for more than a week or two, I’d freeze it.

61. Ann on 25 May 2013 at 4:39 pm #

Saved the recipe from Swerve, just got round to making it today. It’s AWESOME. Sending a jar with boyfriend to take on his annual fishing trip, he will be the STAR for sure!! Thanks for this new family favorite! PS I shared it with my friends on FB giving you full credit of course! :)

62. Bacon Jam | The Clean Plate on 15 Jun 2013 at 11:52 am #

[...] This is not an original recipe by me. You can find the brains behind this glorious piece of tastiness over at Dinner with Julie. [...]

63. Rhubarb Bacon Jam on 21 Jun 2013 at 11:26 am #

[...] from Family Bites, just posted a Bacon Jam recipe that inspired me to concoct my own. Dinner with Julie has a very similar recipe on her site, so it must be yummy. Therefore, that is where I am going [...]

64. Kimberly on 08 Sep 2013 at 7:48 pm #

Can this be canned like jam in a water bath so it will keep for a long time on the shelf?

65. Heidi on 08 Sep 2013 at 10:44 pm #

This cements the label of Bacon as the Duct Tape of Foods. I’m with Jennifer – this might be the start of Bacon as a entire food group!

66. Julie on 09 Sep 2013 at 7:22 am #

Kimberly – it makes me nervous to suggest it, being meat and all! I keep mine in the fridge or freezer just to be on the safe side…

67. Rebekah on 09 Sep 2013 at 7:34 am #

Wowsa, this looks amazing. I see a lot of comments about the coffee. I live with people who despise coffee and can taste it if I sneak it into anything. I’m thinking of trying this with a 1/2c Guinness instead. Has anyone thought of/heard of/tried that?

68. Kristin on 25 Sep 2013 at 4:50 pm #

Can you can it like regular jam? This is a must try! Thanks!

69. Kristin on 25 Sep 2013 at 4:52 pm #

OK. I will answer my own question about canning…The only thing safe to can meat is with a pressure canner…http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can5_meat.html

70. Julie on 30 Sep 2013 at 12:28 pm #

Sorry for the slow reply Kristin! Yes, canning meat makes me nervous. I keep mine in the fridge, or freezer for longer-term storage. Of course it never lasts that long! :)

71. Patti on 06 Jan 2014 at 5:09 am #

The coffee. Im a little confused. Am I making a cup of coffee or am I using the ground coffee just as it is.? ‘m assuming it has to be brewed as it is used for liquid. Any one have an answer please. Thanks so much :)

72. Patti on 06 Jan 2014 at 5:11 am #

Stupid question, no reply necessary. I read it wrong. Thanks peeps :) ????

73. JoanieGirl on 26 Feb 2014 at 11:52 am #

I made this and it’s to die for. I used 3 packages of bacon and doubled the recipe ingredients except for the balsamic and mustard. I used 1Tbs each of those. I’m not sure if the recipe is referring to one pound of bacon or one package because, bacon is no longer packaged by the pound, I think it’s about 12 ounces. I used three packs and it came out fantastic. Like other posters have said, I cooked it for one hour instead of a half hour and it still seemed a bit watery but, it does thicken up as it cools. I ended up with 2 pints of bacon jam. It’s just fabulous!! Thanks for a great recipe!

74. Taylor on 26 Feb 2014 at 3:30 pm #

I was so excited to try this recipe. I followed it exactly and ended up with a mass of burnt bacon. I’m so bummed, I have no idea what went wrong. I totally wasted a whole pound of bacon

75. Christa on 27 Feb 2014 at 7:15 pm #

If I make this, my boys and husband will love me ten times more than they already do and my son in law would be in heaven.
    Trying this real doom.