Foxy Ladies

Foxy lady 1 1024x685 Foxy Ladies

This is going to be my bubbly pink patio drink this holiday weekend. Fo sho.

It’s a good thing you can’t clearly see my oh so foxy reflection in the glass, all gussied up for a Canada Day Eve night in PJ bottoms and an old shirt I only wear to bed since a slice of peanut butter toast landed goods-side-down on my chest. (Which kind of reminds me of this Flight of the Conchords video.)

Thanks to my foxy ladyfriend for sharing her Grandma’s cocktail. Partly, I’m just envious that a) her Grandma is still around, b) she lives on Galiano Island, c) her nickname is Foxy Lady and d) she thusly has a boozy pink drink named after her.

Mostly C. And A.

Gwendolyn makes hers with vodka and soda water. Gin works. Or drizzle it straight into Prosecco.

The only problem with the Foxy Lady (besides the obvious) is that it uses up your stash of rhubarb so that you may not have enough left to make pies. But you won’t be able to bake after all those foxy ladies anyway.

Really, you should know how to make rhubarb syrup whether or not there is a Foxy Lady in your future. It’s divine drizzled into soda water or ginger ale, or ice water to make rhubarbade. Next on the agenda: pink rhubarb milkshakes.

chopped%2Brhubarb Foxy Ladies

You’ll need some rhubarb. The red stuff is best. Chop it up.

rhubarb%2B%2526%2Bsugar Foxy Ladies

Add sugar and water and simmer.

stewing%2Brhubarb Foxy Ladies

It will turn soft and mushy, at which point scrape it into a fine sieve set over a bowl and strain it.

straining%2Brhubarb%2B1 Foxy Ladies
straining%2Brhubarb%2B2 Foxy Ladies

You’ll wind up with something that resembles the juice from a maraschino cherry jar but tastes far better. Don’t toss the leftover pulp – eat it with plain yogurt and granola. Trust me on this. Or turn it into ice cream. More on that later.

rhubarb%2Bsyrup%2B2 Foxy Ladies
rhubarb%2Bsyrup Foxy Ladies

Put a lid on it and keep it in the fridge. Or throw it in your bag and bring it along to that Canada Day party, with a bottle of Prosecco. I’m not against pouring it over pancakes.

foxy%2Blady%2B2 Foxy Ladies

Pour rhubarb syrup into a glass, top with Prosecco or ginger ale or vodka and soda water. Drink. Repeat.

Foxy Lady Rhubarb Cocktails: 1 part vodka, 2-3 parts rhubarb syrup, 1 part soda water. Tall glass + ice.

Rhubarb Syrup

Thanks to the foxiest lady I know.

4 cups chopped rhubarb
1 cup water
Sugar to taste (up to 1 cup, depending on your taste and how tart the rhubarb is)

Bring everything to a simmer in a saucepan. Cook until the fruit is very soft. Taste it and add more sugar if it needs it. As Gwendolyn says, it should be a little tart. (That is, your Foxy Lady should be a little tart. Ha!)

Set a fine strainer over a bowl, pour in the rhubarb and let it sit to drain off the liquid. Once it’s done, scoop the stewed fruit into a container and eat or refrigerate for later.

pixel Foxy Ladies
button print gry20 Foxy Ladies

June 30 2011 10:38 pm | beverages

11 Responses to “Foxy Ladies”

1. Lauren on 30 Jun 2011 at 10:45 pm #

I made this today, too! Such a lovely syrup, and I adored it paired with ginger ale. I hope you have a splendid Canada Day Julie!

2. Inventive Vegan on 01 Jul 2011 at 6:53 am #

A rhubarb drink?! I am in love with this! Im going to make this the official summer drink and serve it to all the foxy ladies I know!!

3. Heidi M on 01 Jul 2011 at 8:16 am #

Fabulous! I haven’t thought about F.o.t.C. for years! Great rockin’ way to start the day.
    And the rhubarb drink – you bet!
    Heidi

4. supersu on 01 Jul 2011 at 8:19 am #

OMG…i totally made this too! last weekend…and i too looked super foxy while making it. ;)
    apparently my mistake was trashing the pulp….ooo…wont do THAT again.
    tho i got very little syrup the stuff i got was A-MAZE-ING! i tried a little rum de dum with mine…and sparkle water….
    i am a FOXY LADY!

5. sweetsugarbean on 01 Jul 2011 at 8:45 am #

Foxy indeed! Thanks for another fab idea on how to use up my ample supply of rhubarb!

6. Cheryl on 01 Jul 2011 at 9:12 am #

Great name! I’ve been playing around with rhubarb syrup myself these days. Raiding the back alley spots of neighbours…

7. H-woman on 01 Jul 2011 at 12:11 pm #

Definitely need to be sipping these on the patio!

=)

8. danzy on 01 Jul 2011 at 6:09 pm #

omfg! heading to tofino tomorrow…busy packing but not too busy to whip out to the side garden and cut me some rhubarb and get my simmer on!!! these foxy ladies will be just the thing on the beach at sunset!!! thanks again for a great idea Julie! Happy Canada Day!!! dana, paul and nico

9. Angela on 02 Jul 2011 at 3:45 pm #

Just made and drank this today! With tonic water. The pulp went wonderfully with some vanilla yogurt

10. Lana on 04 Jul 2011 at 7:19 am #

I made a cocktail for my sister’s 40th bday which was rhubarb syrup with vodka and grand marnier! It was luscious and tasted like SPRING.
    The LCBO mag called it “Spring Fling” but I definitely like “Foxy Lady” better. Which also describes my sister much better, too!

11. Rey Telander on 07 Feb 2012 at 7:16 pm #

For newest information you have to pay a visit web and on world-wide-web I found this web page as a most excellent web page for latest updates.