Little Strawberry Rhubarb Pies

Strawberry rhubarb tarts small 1024x685 Little Strawberry Rhubarb Pies

Having read about Shauna’s pie party, I couldn’t not be part of it. Pie has been on my mind a little more than it usually is, anyway. (It always takes up a wee chunk of cranial space over the summer. Somehow or other, albeit subconsciously, I am most always thinking about pie. And ice cream. (Both?)

I wanted so badly to be swept away by one of the new cookbooks I got at Christmas, or any of the ones I’ve accumulated since. But I couldn’t not do strawberry-rhubarb. I hadn’t had any yet.

One of the very best pie quotes I’ve heard in a long time? “I just want pie. If it’s flaky? Great. But tender is even better. Best yet? On the table.” Shauna’s comparison between assembling pie pastry and disassembling a bomb. The pressure of making a perfect, tender, flaky pastry is too much for some people. (Most people?)

The very next night, last night, I was among the full house at CharCut, watching Connie come oh so close to winning Top Chef Canada. After, we talked about pie. They had served wee blueberry pies with tiny pitches of crème anglaise to pour overtop. Oh my. She had won one of her challenges with a chocolate silk pie, made with a simple cream-chocolate ganache. “Store bought pie crust is just fine”, she said, relieving the pressure of all who are humiliated by their frozen crust purchases. Same idea: the very best kind of pie is the kind on your dinner table. If the obstacle between that summer scenario and you is homemade crust, go buy some.

I personally am a fan of puff. (If you’re going to buy it, that is.) No matter what you do to puff pastry, it looks fantastic and rustic and totally deliriously good. All you do is thaw it, roll it out and -if you’re going to make small pies or galettes- cut it into circles and toss them on a cookie sheet. They don’t have to be perfectly round, even.

puff%2Bpastry Little Strawberry Rhubarb Pies

Stir some cornstarch into some sugar, if you have juicy fruit; this will get rid of any lumps. Toss your starchy sugar with your fruit, top each pastry round and fold over the edges. Brush them with egg and sprinkle with sugar if you like; if not, not. Bake.

Repeat over the course of the summer, using fruits as they come into season.

strawberries%252C%2Brhubarb%252C%2Bsugar Little Strawberry Rhubarb Pies

strawberry%2Brhubarb%2Bpies%2Bunbaked%2B2 Little Strawberry Rhubarb Pies

strawberry%2Brhubarb%2Bpies%2Bunbaked Little Strawberry Rhubarb Pies

strawberry%2Brhubarb%2Bpies%2B2 Little Strawberry Rhubarb Pies

Little Strawberry Rhubarb Pies

1 1b pkg frozen puff pastry, thawed
3 cups chopped rhubarb
2 cups hulled, sliced or chopped strawberries
1 cup sugar (or to taste)
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 egg, beaten (optional)
sugar or coarse sugar, for sprinkling (optional)

On a lightly floured surface, roll the puff pastry dough out 1/4″ thick. Cut into rounds whatever size you like using a cookie cutter or glass rim. Place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet.

In a large bowl, toss together the rhubarb and strawberries. In a small bowl, stir together the sugar and cornstarch until no lumps remain. Add to the strawberry-rhubarb mixture and toss to coat well.

Spread some of the mixture over each pastry circle, leaving about an inch around the edges. Fold them over the filling, wherever they naturally fold. If you like, brush the edges with beaten egg and sprinkle with sugar.

Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden and the fruit is tender. Makes 4-8 pies.

pixel Little Strawberry Rhubarb Pies
button print gry20 Little Strawberry Rhubarb Pies

July 05 2011 11:04 pm | dessert

20 Responses to “Little Strawberry Rhubarb Pies”

1. Cheryl on 06 Jul 2011 at 4:18 am #

Strawberry rhubarb! When we first raided the neighbours rhubarb patch my girl knew exactly what to ask for – pie! Now that I can walk again it is time for rolling, raiding, and baking.

2. Aimee @ Simple Bites on 06 Jul 2011 at 8:28 am #

I’d like to wake up to a couple of these! I did a rhubarb-raspberry cream pie, but sadly it was finished long ago. I need to whip up a few of your little pies.

3. Beverley M on 06 Jul 2011 at 9:58 am #

nom nom nom

4. A Canadian Foodie on 06 Jul 2011 at 10:54 am #

Stunning, Julie! Love this seasonal sweet… delish with a dollop of homemade creme fraiche made with Vital Greens 52% cream. YUM!
    Valerie

5. Jocelyn on 06 Jul 2011 at 11:03 am #

Have you been to lissBay upcakescay for their pie? I’m speaking in code, because (as it is) I have to turn up at 11 am to get one. It’s a fine line betweetn recommending something, and having them become so popular they sell out!

The next rule of pie is to have it for Breakfast Lunch and Dinner.

6. Melissa W on 06 Jul 2011 at 1:01 pm #

Oh, I am so envious that you were at CharCut for the finale of Top Chef Canada!!
    I first ate at CharCut a few months ago, and it was one of the best restaurant meals I’ve ever had, hands down…and then I found out that Connie was to be on Top Chef Canada. I watched religiously after that.
    I was disappointed that she didn’t win…but I definitely think that you are both excellent role models!

And pie? COME ONNNN. Those little pies look like a delicious pile of YES.

7. bev on 06 Jul 2011 at 1:41 pm #

I am TOTALLY making these right now! AND the lemon rhubarb dessert! Rhubarb is my middle name at this time of year, and these look so simple and delicious!!

8. Fiona on 06 Jul 2011 at 4:18 pm #

I wish my rhubarb was taller than an inch (yes, it did survive! Again!) and that my house wasn’t too hot to turn on the oven, or I’d make these. Strawberry rhubarb is my favorite pie, ever.

9. Donna on 06 Jul 2011 at 5:41 pm #

Quick question – How long does thawed not-baked puff pastry keep in the fridge? (less time than mine has been sitting, I bet)

10. Heidi @ Food Doodles on 06 Jul 2011 at 8:35 pm #

Those look delicious :) I love using puff pastry, it always looks so impressive :D

11. jennifer b on 06 Jul 2011 at 10:11 pm #

You need to stop with the rhubarb… i now live in the dreaded burbs and I have no rhubarb and will be forced to drive alleyways of old areas to fill my pure need!!!!

12. Joanne on 06 Jul 2011 at 10:35 pm #

My pie of choice last night was “the Julie” at Without Papers–yum! I told our table we had to order it!

13. Erin McD on 07 Jul 2011 at 4:22 am #

Have you ever watched the movie Michael? John Travolta stars as an angel. Andie McDowell sings a song she wrote about pie.
    Pie
    Pie
    Me oh my
    Nothing tastes sweet, wet, salty and dry
    all at once o well it’s pie
    Apple!
    Pumpkin!
    Minced
    an’ wet bottom.
    Come to your place everyday if you’ve got em’
    Pie
    Me o my
    I love pie
    When I think of pie that tune plays in my head!

14. Sharlotte on 07 Jul 2011 at 7:57 am #

What temperature do you use to bake these? I want to make these, but I don’t want to take chances with the wrong oven temperature.

15. Laurie from Burnaby on 07 Jul 2011 at 11:17 pm #

Erin McD – that’s when John Travolta was being the archangel Michael (I’m not that kind of angel)
    Andie McDowel played a lovely character. she cooked as if she was giving them something precious. I think of cooking like that, and I think of Julie, too

16. Jessica on 09 Jul 2011 at 7:13 pm #

I just made these pies, which were awesome! They were pretty runny though. Any tips for me next time to prevent the juices from flowing everywhere?

17. Rambles with Reese on 11 Jul 2011 at 6:16 am #

This looks delicious and doable! Great recipe for summer!

18. Marg on 11 Jul 2011 at 9:21 am #

Made these tarts with my nieces on our weekend sleepover and they were a huge hit!! We will be making them again and experimenting with different fruits throughout the summer. Thanks!

19. {Dining in: Halibut en Papillote and Strawberry Rhubarb Tartlets} « Chocolate & Ginger on 18 Jul 2011 at 10:04 pm #

[...] a proper recipe? You can find it here at Julie’s [...]

20. spring produce at its best | Wagshal's Blog on 14 May 2013 at 7:11 am #

[...] {via Food Network, see all the recipes for spring produce; featured image via Dinner with Julie, offering a delicious recipe for Little Strawberry Rhubarb Pies [...]