Mint and Ginger Chicken Kabobs with Spicy Raita

Mint Ginger Chicken Kabobs small 800x1024 Mint and Ginger Chicken Kabobs with Spicy Raita

I know, right? This makes perfect use of all that mint growing behind my garage.

This morning we had a corn dog contest at the CBC pancake breakfast to kick off the Stampede. Tonight I’m at the Bessborough in Saskatoon, scheduled to visit canola growers and processors early tomorrow morning, having just square danced (that’s right, envision it if you can) at a ranch after a dinner of pitchfork fondue. I’ll explain exactly what that is, with pictures, tomorrow. When I have the gumption to dump all the photos off my camera and sort through them.

So I got permission to share this recipe from a brand new cookbook I’ve been anticipating – Bal’s Quick & Healthy Indian, by Bal Arneson, author of Everyday Indian and host of Spice Goddess on the Cooking Channel. I have a lot of cookbooks, and Everyday Indian is one I actually use, and flip through for inspiration, and is not gathering dust in the basement on my third surplus cookbook shelf.

Bal%2527s%2BQuick%2B%2526%2BHealthy%2BIndian Mint and Ginger Chicken Kabobs with Spicy Raita

Bal’s Quick & Healthy Indian is sure to be as well used, starting with these mint and ginger chicken kabobs. Perfect for summer grilling, no?

Mint and Ginger Chicken Kabobs with Spicy Raita

reprinted with permission from Bal’s Quick & Healthy Indian by Bal Arneson (Whitecap)

1/2 cup (125 mL) finely chopped mint
2 Tbsp (30 mL) tamarind pulp
2 Tbsp (30 mL) grapeseed oil
1 Tbsp (15 mL) freshly grated ginger
1 Tbsp (15 mL) garam masala
1 Tbsp (15 mL) brown sugar
salt to taste
1 lb (500 g) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1½-inch pieces
6 metal or wooden skewers

In a large bowl, combine the mint, tamarind pulp, oil, ginger, garam masala, brown sugar, and salt and mix well. Stir in the chicken. Cover the bowl and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.

Preheat the barbecue to medium heat. (If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 30 minutes before using.)

Thread the chicken onto skewers. Grill the kabobs on the preheated barbecue for 15 to 20 minutes, turning frequently to make sure all sides are cooked through. Serve with Spicy Raita. Serves 4.

Spicy Raita

This dip can be made ahead of time and it will keep well in the refrigerator for three to four days.

1 cup (250 mL) plain low-fat yogurt
1 Tbsp (15 mL) chopped mint
1 Tbsp (15 mL) finely chopped chives
1 Tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice
1 tsp (5 mL) prepared grainy mustard
salt and pepper to taste

Combine all the ingredients in a small serving bowl and stir until well mixed.

Makes about 1 cup.

pixel Mint and Ginger Chicken Kabobs with Spicy Raita
button print gry20 Mint and Ginger Chicken Kabobs with Spicy Raita

July 08 2011 12:42 am | appetizers and chicken & turkey and on the grill

15 Responses to “Mint and Ginger Chicken Kabobs with Spicy Raita”

1. Kalyn on 08 Jul 2011 at 7:56 am #

This looks fantastic!

2. Erica B. on 08 Jul 2011 at 10:10 am #

Ooh looks delicious! Where do you get tamarind pulp?

3. Vivian on 08 Jul 2011 at 10:20 am #

I’ve found both the pods (pre-packaged) and the pulp in square blocks at Superstore in Spruce Grove. They generally have a good selection of Indian spices and condiments.

4. Erica B. on 08 Jul 2011 at 3:03 pm #

I’ll try my local Superstore. Thanks Vivian!

5. Denese on 08 Jul 2011 at 3:21 pm #

Erica – I found a bottle of tamarind sauce/pulp at London Drugs in Red Deer.

6. kitchen witch jenny on 09 Jul 2011 at 4:08 pm #

I’m going to make these on Sunday night for my girlfriends, along with that other most-delightful mint-user-upper…..mojitos! We’ve found a simpler way to make them…..just lightly crush a mint sprig in a glass with a wooden spoon handle, add ice and an ounce of rum and top with equal parts limeade (or lemonade) and club soda. Garnish with a lime wedge and try not to poke yourself in the eye with that delicious mint and ginger chicken kabob that you’re devouring….

7. molly on 09 Jul 2011 at 9:53 pm #

Please pass a kebab?

Oh lordy, those look fine.

(You only have three cookbook shelves? Whu??)

8. Nurse Jenn on 10 Jul 2011 at 12:54 pm #

Yum! I think I will try these sometime this week. They look delicious. Thanks for the sneak peak on the book. I might go out and get it. I love Indian cuisine. The spice is out of this world. Rarely though, would I actually attempt to make it myself. Usually I will just go out to a local favourite like Mango Shiva. Yum, yum, yum.

And I second the comment from molly, you only have 3 cookbook shelves?

9. JulieVR on 10 Jul 2011 at 7:27 pm #

Molly and Jenn – not shelves, BOOKSHELVES. As in three entire stand-alone units jammed with books. Not that they’re all even put away.

10. Dana on 10 Jul 2011 at 8:49 pm #

I really like the idea of fiery ginger and cooling mint together. These look awesome!

11. Laurie from Burnaby on 10 Jul 2011 at 10:22 pm #

That looks wonderful. I have a garden of mint to use up

12. Prerna@IndianSimmer on 11 Jul 2011 at 1:22 pm #

LURVE!!! :D

13. kathy on 13 Jul 2011 at 2:12 pm #

hmmm i will try and find some tamarind pulp at the superstore in country hills, but if i manage to find it i wonder what else i can do with it….i have a shelf of wierd stuff that never gets used again. Not to mention that section of the fridge that always goes iinto a mystery sauce for the barbeque

14. Kristin on 17 Jul 2011 at 11:42 am #

You had me at mint and ginger…

15. Katie Thacher on 21 Jul 2011 at 3:54 pm #

This looks delicious! I love the ginger mint combination, and I think tamarind would be a great addition. Thanks for the recipe!