Points North: Cupcakes and Saskatoon Berries

Saskatoon ice cream 682x1024 Points North: Cupcakes and Saskatoon Berries

In Edmonton last night and today to cook with watermelons on BT this morning. We made a day of it, poking around Edmonton a bit before heading back.

Whimsical cake studio 1024x682 Points North: Cupcakes and Saskatoon Berries

We found a cute little shop called the Whimsical Cake Studio, right beside Transcend Coffee, the High Level Diner and a poutinery.

I splurged and bought a dozen, thinking we could bring some back for the sweet teeth in Calgary.

whimsical cake on pavement 1024x682 Points North: Cupcakes and Saskatoon Berries

They met a tragic end in the Winners parking lot.

Alberta sky 1 1024x628 Points North: Cupcakes and Saskatoon Berries

Most of our drive looked like this – all big Alberta sky with Simpsons clouds. And plenty of very gutsy dragonflies on the front windshield. On the way home we took a detour over to Pearson’s Berry Farm.

Pearsons berry farm 1024x682 Points North: Cupcakes and Saskatoon Berries

They have a little take-out counter from which they sell pies, sauces, baking (Saskatoon butter tarts!) and ice cream – we got Saskatoon berry ice cream, of course, a (as yet uneaten) sour cherry pie and some berry picking. We set out into the fields with our ice cream buckets and picked Saskatoons. It’s been a bad year out there – big surprise – so the berries aren’t great. On the upside, because it’s not easy picking, they let you take the berries for free. Can’t beat that.

Pearsons sign 1024x778 Points North: Cupcakes and Saskatoon Berries

Or a $10 pie.

The boys are eager to make jam and a pie and muffins tomorrow. Not sure our haul will accommodate all of the above. We’ll give it a shot.

pixel Points North: Cupcakes and Saskatoon Berries
button print gry20 Points North: Cupcakes and Saskatoon Berries

August 18 2011 11:27 pm | eating out

12 Responses to “Points North: Cupcakes and Saskatoon Berries”

1. jake on 19 Aug 2011 at 9:26 am #

nice photog’s! summer. what did you ‘cook’ w/ watermelons?

I drove from Calgary to near Edmonton for meetings earlier in the week and it all reminded me the the old skool CPR homesteader posters – picture perfect farms everywhere. My office collegue and I stopped at the Jungle farms – only raspberrie tho’ – lots of those in the garden right now. Hoping to track down some later strawberries.

Too bad about the cupcakes and the berry crop. The Saskatoons near Okotoks (my secret wild patch) have been as good as any year – big and sweet. So far several pies, a batch of jelly-jam (3 quarts thru the food mill) – straight Sask jam is too seedy, biscuits, muffins, cobbler, and lots fresh with cream – never too many Saskatoon berries. Cornflakes/saskatoons/ice cold milk – best go to breakfast right now – the only time i have cornflakes in the cupboard.

Do you think beets (grated/pureed?) and a carrot-cake-sort of recipe would make a decent less scary red velvet cupcake? with cream cheese frosting…lots of beets in the garden right now. Borscht this weekend.

cheers
    jake

2. Vivian on 19 Aug 2011 at 9:38 am #

Wow, Jake, you have been busy! I have read of using beets in a kind of Red Velvet cake, but they come out more dark red than the lighter, warmer colour when that “nasty” food colouring chemical is used. I think I remember Julie having a recipe. If you find it and try it, let us know.

3. Brittany on 19 Aug 2011 at 9:39 am #

I like the first pic with the ice cream. Kids make good props!

4. Danielle on 19 Aug 2011 at 9:54 am #

Mmmm, that picture includes The Sugarbowl, which is one of my favourite places to eat in Edmonton.

5. Ah Tze on 19 Aug 2011 at 10:39 am #

Hi, love the photos especially the first one with the ice-cream makes me want to lick my screen :)

Btw, just to inform you that I’ve baked the chocolate s’mores pie using your recipe, it was yummylicious!!

6. angela on 19 Aug 2011 at 12:29 pm #

those poor pretty cupcakes :(
    i bought saskatoons at the hillhurst farmers market on wednesday, have been trying to decide what to do with 2.5 pounds. mabye muffins? or a saskatoon smoothie. yuhm. was in Edmonton last week and had Dinner at the High Level Diner, – yuhm.

7. Melissa W on 19 Aug 2011 at 12:34 pm #

Jake – beets are great in chocolate cupcakes, FYI – puree them. I think earlier this year Chatelaine had a recipe for them, with raspberry cream cheese icing. Really good. Google “beet cupcakes chatelaine” and you’ll find it.

Speaking of High Level Diner – has anyone ever tried the lemon sour cream pie there, and if so – any idea how one would make it? I no longer live in Edmonton and so I can’t go eat it at will, but it was DELICIOUS.

8. CathyH on 19 Aug 2011 at 4:14 pm #

I found this at Epicurious, I think you could adapt it using fresh beets.

9. Kathryn on 19 Aug 2011 at 4:14 pm #

Oh, such fond memories I have of High Level Diner! I lived on that street all through my time at U of A and the High Level was frequently where I’d be taken out for a proper meal when my parents visited. Sure wish the cupcake and poutine places had been there at the time!

10. Rachel on 19 Aug 2011 at 4:40 pm #

I live right in that area in Edmonton, and I’m sad to say that you’re probably lucky someone dropped the cupcakes. The icing is alright, but all the cakes I’ve had from there are dry and lack flavour (except for vegan ones, for which they likely use oil).

11. gwendolyn on 23 Aug 2011 at 1:04 pm #

I know it’s so very wrong, but I did laugh at the cupcake photo. Not because I think your misfortune is funny, but because they look so damn forlorn smashed into the pavement like that.

12. Jen on 26 Aug 2011 at 12:28 am #

The cupcakes I’ve had from Whimsical have always been yummy. They have a booth at the Southwest Edmonton Farmer’s Market every Wednesday evening. Their Salted Caramel Chocolate cupcake is so good! I’ve never had a dry cupcake from them.