Strawberry-Saskatoon Jam

Strawberry saskatoon jam 1024x591 Strawberry Saskatoon Jam

It’s a good weekend when I get to putter, and make jam, and pick up a loaf of crusty sourdough to toast and eat with sauteed chard and over easy eggs. And then toast some more to eat with jam.

Picking saskatoons 1024x682 Strawberry Saskatoon Jam

Saskatoon berry bucket1 1024x682 Strawberry Saskatoon Jam

We had been berry picking last week, and had a bagful in the fridge. The boys wanted to make jam. Straight-up Saskatoon berry jam can be a little hardcore – they’re a little hardier than blueberries – and so I picked up some strawberries and let them squish them directly into the pot with their hands. We made strawberry-Saskatoon jam, and as far as combos go, it’s just about perfect.

Making saskatoon jam 1024x680 Strawberry Saskatoon Jam

The berries get cooked down anyway – normally you chop or mash them first or in the pot – and they got a great kick out of demonstrating their respective superhuman strengths by squeezing the guts out of strawberries with their bare hands. Hopefully now they won’t grow up to be those guys who smash beer cans against their foreheads.

saskatoon jam 1 1024x707 Strawberry Saskatoon Jam

The mixture is thick at first, before the fruit has had a chance to release its juices. The boys pushed stools up to the stove and attempted to stir without flicking sugared fruit all over the kitchen.

saskatoon jam 2 1024x682 Strawberry Saskatoon Jam

You think at first that the fruit might singe, being so dry in the pot. But then once it gives up its juice, you think it’s far too liquidy. But it’s not.

saskatoon jam 3 1024x682 Strawberry Saskatoon Jam

Just keep cooking it. It will foam up all big and pink but not (quite) overflow if you’ve chosen your pot correctly. Eventually the foam will subside and the jam will thicken – keep in mind though that it will still be runnier than it will be cool. This is why you need to put a small spoonful on a small dish that you’ve stashed in the freezer at some point during the last few steps.

saskatoon jam 4 1024x682 Strawberry Saskatoon Jam

Once it cools, it should wrinkle when you push it with your finger.

saskatoon jam wrinkle 1024x682 Strawberry Saskatoon Jam

Ladle it into hot jars, or the containers of your choice. If you’re nervous about canning, cool the jam completely and store it in heavy duty freezer bags or other containers in the freezer. That works too.

saskatoon jam empty pot 1024x682 Strawberry Saskatoon Jam

If you don’t have access to them where you are, blueberries are a perfect substitute for Saskatoons.

Strawberry-Saskatoon Jam

8 cups fruit (about half Saskatoon berries or blueberries, half chopped or crushed strawberries)
1 pouch liquid pectin
5-6 cups sugar
2 Tbsp. lemon juice

In a large pot (it will bubble up as it cooks) stir together the fruit, pectin, sugar and lemon juice. Bring to a full boil and cook, stirring often, for about 20 minutes, or until a small spoonful set on a small dish you’ve stashed in the fridge or freezer gels enough that your finger leaves a trail when you run it through the puddle of jam.

Ladle into clean, hot jars, wipe rims and seal according to the jar manufacturer’s directions (I use the snap lid jars). Set aside to cool. Refrigerate any that don’t seal properly. Our batch made almost ten 250 mL jars.

pixel Strawberry Saskatoon Jam
button print gry20 Strawberry Saskatoon Jam

August 20 2011 11:50 pm | preserves

15 Responses to “Strawberry-Saskatoon Jam”

1. Michelle on 21 Aug 2011 at 5:20 am #

I’ve never had a Saskatoon berry, but I’m really intrigued! Your jam looks delicious, and how awesome that you all had a hand in making it.

2. Robyn {Planet Byn} on 21 Aug 2011 at 8:15 am #

julie, your post on skillet jam last summer changed my life! this summer i made strawberry rhubarb and strawberry peach. i still need to make some raspberry jam!

3. Terri on 21 Aug 2011 at 8:38 am #

It looks like you had a perfectly perfect day.

4. Megan on 21 Aug 2011 at 11:04 am #

That jam looks amazing, I LOVE Saskatoon berries.

5. Elizabeth on 21 Aug 2011 at 12:52 pm #

Thanks for the lesson in Saskatoon! I’ve never even heard of them before, but they sound and look fantastic. Hoping for a weekend like yours soon since I have not been able to preserve a single thing yet this summer. Enjoy that jam!

6. Kathy on 21 Aug 2011 at 6:22 pm #

Looks delicious! Strawberry goes with just about anything, doesn’t it? Next time you have saskatoons to make into jam, think about adding rhubarb; also very delicious, and my personal favorite. :)

Saskatoon/rhubarb jam recipe: http://30yearsworth.wordpress.com/category/preserves/

7. wild blueberry crumble pie | sophistimom on 22 Aug 2011 at 12:34 pm #

[...] Strawberry Saskatoon Jam (I had never heard of Saskatoon berries until today. I guess they’re like blueberries or [...]

8. CookiePie on 22 Aug 2011 at 12:39 pm #

Beautiful jam, and I love the step-by-step photos! Sounds like a perfect summer weekend:)

9. LJR on 22 Aug 2011 at 1:20 pm #

Some parts of Canada and northern US may be familiar with saskatoons as serviceberries. Encountered this in Newfoundland while trying every new berry I could find and exclaimed – It’s a saskatoon!!!!! In a cookbook from Montana they were called sarvis berries!!

Always fun to try new/old foods to love.

10. jacin {lovely little details} on 22 Aug 2011 at 9:07 pm #

wow this looks delicious!!

11. Stephanie on 22 Aug 2011 at 10:44 pm #

Lovely pictures of the jam making process. Your sourdough bread in first picture made my mouth water.. mm crusty sourdough

12. Sean on 23 Aug 2011 at 11:25 am #

I’m the founder/moderator for Punk Domestics (www.punkdomestics.com), a community site for those of use obsessed with, er, interested in DIY food. It’s sort of like Tastespotting, but specific to the niche. I’d love for you to submit this to the site. Good stuff!

13. marilyn on 31 Aug 2011 at 6:57 pm #

There seems to be a shortage of liquid pectin. Just got back after hitting Coop, Superstore, Zellers and Canadian tire . Have you substituted this for crystal.. I have some outdated pectin and am tempted to use it! have you?

Julie, loved your article on the uses of jars in Swerve, looks like my Dad was hip when we took him coffee or tea in jar during harvesting!!LOL

14. Ashley on 09 Sep 2011 at 12:25 am #

I love your suggestion for nervous canners, like myself!! I want to make jam but never thought about freezing it.

15. Susy on 24 Jun 2013 at 3:40 pm #

I’ve noticed that a lot of your jam recipes don’t use pectin, but this one does. Do you think it could be left out? Any changes needed to the rest of the recipe if I do so?