Thousand Island Slaw with Roast Chicken

Thousand Island Chicken slaw 1024x682 Thousand Island Slaw with Roast Chicken

You really should know about this slaw. It seems altogether very lowbrow, what with the bagged coleslaw and shredded chicken and thousand island dressing (which was made from scratch, including the mayo, if that counts for anything), but somehow it works. It’s crunchy and creamy and sweet and tangy, and perfect to pack in a container and take with a folding chair down to the river to nibble with your feet in the water while the boys and dog splash. (Bonus: It isn’t quite as alluring to random canines as previous snacks of peanut butter and cheese have proven to be.)

Remember when I used to post what I made/bought/ate for dinner every day? Me too. Now I’m not sure I can remember what was for dinner any given night since Thursday, when we finally (after approximately a decade of saying we would) took Mike’s mum to the Banff Springs for afternoon tea.

Banff springs tea 2011 2 682x1024 Thousand Island Slaw with Roast Chicken

Friday was pizza and wine for lunch, more of the same for dinner. (As the latter was a birthday, there was also ice cream cake and apple pie from Pearson’s Berry Farm, by way of Valta Bison.)

Bliss Cupcakes small 1024x646 Thousand Island Slaw with Roast Chicken

Saturday was the third annual Sugar Bowl, a blast of a lawn bowling fundraiser for the Amber Webb-Bowerman Memorial Foundation, which included a barbecue with burgers, dogs, crunchy things, beer from Big Rock and wine from Tinhorn Creek. Bliss donated cupcakes.

This afternoon Erin, Lisa and Katie fed me almond-flavoured pink cake with fluffy meringue frosting.
They made a Community Cookbook. It comes out next weekend.

ClubClub 2 1024x682 Thousand Island Slaw with Roast Chicken

And tonight good friends grilled us dinner – every course done outside – planked chicken and grilled veggie salad and grilled bananas brushed with rum-honey-cinnamon and served with vanilla ice cream. Which is so making it into my regular rotation. (If I really have one?)

Planked chicken 1024x644 Thousand Island Slaw with Roast Chicken

Until then, you should really know about this Thousand Island slaw.

Thousand Island Slaw with Chicken

adapted from Gourmet, July 2007

1 cup mayonnaise (homemade, if at all possible)
1/4 cup ketchup
1 Tbsp. rice or cider vinegar
2 Tbsp. sweet relish
1/2-1 bag coleslaw mix
1/4 cup grated sweet onion (such as Vidalia or Walla Walla – optional)
2 cups shredded roast chicken (from a rotisserie chicken)
a chunk of red or yellow pepper, thinly sliced

In a small bowl, whisk together the mayo, ketchup, vinegar and relish. In a large bowl, toss together the coleslaw, onion, chicken and red pepper; drizzle with dressing and toss to coat.

Season with salt and pepper if it needs it. Serve immediately. Serves 4-6.

pixel Thousand Island Slaw with Roast Chicken
button print gry20 Thousand Island Slaw with Roast Chicken

August 28 2011 11:41 pm | chicken & turkey and salads

21 Responses to “Thousand Island Slaw with Roast Chicken”

1. Kalyn on 29 Aug 2011 at 8:18 am #

I’m intrigued by the coleslaw!

2. Laurie from Burnaby on 29 Aug 2011 at 11:31 am #

Sounds like an epic food menu!

3. Erica B. on 29 Aug 2011 at 11:44 am #

Wow, sounds like a foodtastic couple of days!

Meringue frosting?? Going to check out the link to the Community Cookbook tout sweet. Thanks! :)

4. Erica B. on 29 Aug 2011 at 11:45 am #

PS: Where are the iconic Scones? Tell me they didn’t stop serving them?!

5. kickpleat on 29 Aug 2011 at 2:56 pm #

I love the sound of this coleslaw! Sounds perfect.

6. CathyH on 29 Aug 2011 at 5:28 pm #

Sounds and looks amazing. I have been canning peaches, dill pickles and making jam all weekend. I have found the most amazing jam in Bernardin Guide to Home Preserving ( Found this at Co-Op in the same aisle as all the canning supplies ). It is on page 25 and called Mom’s Apple Pie in A Jar and that’s exactly what it tastes like ~ Granny Smiths, cinnamon and craisins! YUM. Will be making more tomorrow.

7. margaret on 29 Aug 2011 at 6:49 pm #

Julie. What’s in the 3 rectangle containers in the top layer of the cake tray? Are they tubs of jam?

8. Amber on 29 Aug 2011 at 6:53 pm #

I would guess the little tubs are creme brulee, being as they are on the dessert portion of the tray. It looks similar to the one we had at The Empress in Victoria last year. I would guess the scones were in the middle of the second plate, as if you look hard you can see one on the plate of the lady in the back of the picture with butter and jam on it (MIL?). Yum. Brings back good memories :)

9. rose on 29 Aug 2011 at 7:09 pm #

Hi Julie

Interesting you posted a slaw recipe as I was going to write to tell you I’ve been making your slaw with peanut butter dressing and spaghetti! We love it! I’ve used both spaghetti and chinese noodles and add whole peanuts to the top to garnish it. Also, have made blackberry crisp (picked out at UBC)using your recent recipe using plums and I now have my ‘go to’ crisp recipe. Your instructions to knead a bit to get larger chunks and your ingredient amounts were perfect!! Thank You….

Rose

10. Meta4 on 29 Aug 2011 at 7:23 pm #

To Margaret,
    It looks like creme brule to me.

11. tink on 30 Aug 2011 at 4:09 am #

that coleslaw has made me want to rush out and get some for my lunch. im so impressed! the cupcakes look delish too, i did some at the weekend, would love to know your thoughts?

12. Kathy on 30 Aug 2011 at 8:56 am #

Julie I love that slaw recipe. Don’t apologize — I’m sure I’m not the only one that’s into quick and easy recipes. You mention low brow. You haven’t been to our house where we plunk the pots down on the table to dish out the food onto the plates instead of using serving dishes, and our weekly potluck is served on paper plates, etc.

13. angela on 30 Aug 2011 at 3:54 pm #

im going to High Tea in Banff on Saturday, my first time. can’t wait. your pictures made the food look really yummy. and a dip in the springs, good way to celebrate a long belated mothers day.
    hope your mother in law enjoyed herself…

14. Judy on 30 Aug 2011 at 5:25 pm #

Quick easy and delicious…..nothing to sneeze at Julie!
    I recently made my own smoky chipotle ketchup ( the Bison restaurant in banff no longer supplies my fix ). Now I think I’ll add that to the mayo and add edgar farms asparagus relish and let you know how it turns out!!

15. Gregory on 02 Sep 2011 at 3:56 am #

Are all Canadian women as beautiful, and as talented, as you, and your friends Erin, Lisa, and Katie are? An Australian male foodie would like to know … What’s the secret?

16. Jennifer Jo on 04 Sep 2011 at 12:51 pm #

I made this slaw and it was fabulous. Even the kids liked it (and they’re not slaw fans AT ALL)!

17. Sandy on 06 Sep 2011 at 10:12 pm #

Tried this one and it is a winner (as usual)! Easy, quick and deeelicious – thanks Julie!

18. krista on 07 Sep 2011 at 11:51 am #

Oh a 3 tiered tea/cake plate! my mum had one and have not seen one in years!
    also I remember you referencing The Uncommon Cookbook-another relic from Windsor years and I wish I knew what happened to these 2 things as I’d love both!

19. Jennifer Jo on 21 Sep 2011 at 11:19 am #

Back again. I finally wrote about it: http://bit.ly/qalQve

20. smcn on 29 Nov 2011 at 11:16 am #

The Plank Chicken, I love the look
    How do you Make??!!

21. download ps1 emulator and roms on 04 Nov 2013 at 12:42 pm #

So if you are looking for simplicity then stick to gba roms and
    emulators cause they will never disappoint.
    Custom PS3 logos are available in chrome, black chrome, rose gold, white gold, 24K gold or platinum.
    Sure, they have some enhancements, but the games
    at heart remain the same.