Grilled Asian Steak with Sweet Ginger Slaw

Asian Steak Slaw 1024x682 Grilled Asian Steak with Sweet Ginger Slaw

Now, it could have been the appetite I worked up at the gym, intensified by then not nibbling at all between the time I got home and managed to get dinner on the table. (Which was, to be honest, only about 20 minutes.) But this was really good. And easy. A bag of slaw would have streamlined it even further, but at this moment we have no fewer than 4 full-sized cabbages hogging a good quarter of our fridge space, begging to be used. This week’s theme just may be slaw. (More possibilities than colcannon.)

Marinating steak slaw 1024x679 Grilled Asian Steak with Sweet Ginger Slaw

This particular slaw is sweet and gingery, with no oil. (You could add some, if you like.) The original requested red jalapenos, which I don’t expect many to have on hand (nor make a special trip for), and because the comments unanimously reported it to be too hot, I, being of wimpy palate, demoted the jalapenos to a pinch of dried red pepper flakes. Easy, sufficient, and it made removing my contacts later this evening that much less painful.

This is a keeper. If I was the sort to plan a dinner rotation, with pork chops on Mondays and chicken on Thursdays and pizza on Fridays, this might just snag the Tuesday spot.

Grilled Asian Steak with Sweet Ginger Slaw

adapted from Bon Appétit, June 2008

1/4 cup soy sauce
1 Tbsp canola oil
2 tsp sesame oil (optional)
1 Tbsp freshly grated ginger, divided
2 garlic cloves, crushed or sliced
1 1 1/2 lb flat iron or flank steak
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
pinch red pepper flakes
4-5 cups thinly sliced cabbage (or half a bag of prepared coleslaw)
a few green onions, chopped

Stir together the soy sauce, canola oil, sesame oil, half the ginger and garlic in a zip-lock bag or bowl; add the steaks and turn to coat. Let them sit for at least half an hour, or refrigerate overnight.

In a small saucepan, whisk together the rice vinegar and sugar and bring to a simmer; add the ginger and red pepper flakes and remove from heat. In a medium bowl, toss together the cabbage and green onions. Drizzle the warm vinegar mixture overtop and toss to coat.

Preheat your grill and grill the steaks to your desired doneness – 4-5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Let rest for at least 5 minutes before slicing thinly against the grain and serving atop (or alongside) the slaw. Serves 4.

pixel Grilled Asian Steak with Sweet Ginger Slaw
button print gry20 Grilled Asian Steak with Sweet Ginger Slaw

September 16 2011 07:57 pm | beef and on the grill

10 Responses to “Grilled Asian Steak with Sweet Ginger Slaw”

1. Kalyn on 17 Sep 2011 at 9:55 am #

Yummy sounding. I would love this for dinner.

2. Cheryl on 17 Sep 2011 at 2:06 pm #

Haha! I’ve got those same cabbages from John and came online to look for more options.

3. Jocelyn Colquhoun on 17 Sep 2011 at 9:02 pm #

I’m glad that we have the same farmer. I have the same 4 cabbages in my frig and I am looking forward to hearing what you are going to do with them. I was thinking about an Indian style curried cabbage kind of dish. Let’s see what we can come up with.
    Cheers

4. jenna on 18 Sep 2011 at 5:14 pm #

Attempting to make with apple cider vinegar as I don’t seem to have any rice. Will report back…….

5. Words Of Deliciousness on 18 Sep 2011 at 8:28 pm #

Steak and slaw both sound amazing.

6. Judy on 18 Sep 2011 at 9:46 pm #

Julie
    before I comment on how this will be my next “Julie” meal to try I have to thank you bigtime for all of your food tips in Tofino!
    just back from the coast and loved Sobo, red can gourmet and taco fino to name a few.
    here’s a tip back for you and anyone traveling to Kelowna
    RauDZ is an amazing restaurant not to be missed…….www.raudz.com for details
    Fresh.local comfortable and truly our best meal in BC.

Judy

7. JulieVR on 18 Sep 2011 at 10:02 pm #

Yes, I know RauDZ.. had a fantastic meal there years ago. We went this summer but waited over 2 hours, and they never did call us for our table.. walked around and eventually went to Memphis Blues around the corner.. very disappointing!

8. molly on 19 Sep 2011 at 8:48 pm #

and suddenly, just like that, i am ready for cabbage.

ginger. um. double umm…

9. Leah on 20 Sep 2011 at 8:57 pm #

Made this tonight and it was a big hit! Well, maybe not everyone liked the cabbage, but it can be hard to teach a husband new tricks. The steak was so easy and delicious. Thank you!

10. Jennifer on 21 Sep 2011 at 2:26 pm #

Made this on the weekend, sans the ginger, and it was great!