Half a Pound of Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies

Gwens Chocolate chunk cookies 1024x708 Half a Pound of Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies

Oh eff. This is what I said, out loud even, having just come home from the gym where I tend to work up an appetite voracious enough to make steamed cabbage taste divine, and clicked on Gwendolyn’s blog and these babies popped up and practically licked me in the face. Or it may have been me licking the computer – I can’t remember. I mean – look at them. Love at first sight? I believe.

Gwens dark chocolate chunk cookies 4 1024x666 Half a Pound of Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies

The baker in me was intrigued by the use of cornstarch in this particular dough. Not much – only 2 tsp. to 2 cups of flour. Would it really make a difference? Or is it gimmicky? Designed to lure in people like me who are hungry and haven’t eaten a freshly baked chocolate chunk cookie in far too long?

So I made them – for research purposes only. Besides, I’ll be seeing Anna Olson – Gwendolyn’s cookie muse – at Christmas in November at the Jasper Park Lodge in a month – I could use this as a conversation piece. You know, something to chit chat about.

chopping chocolate 1024x586 Half a Pound of Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies

There’s a half pound of chopped chocolate in these. (That sounds way better than 8 oz or 2 cups, don’t you think?) Go semisweet or as dark as you like. I do like chopped chocolate in a cookie rather than chips – you get that spread of teeny bits to enormous chunks, which works in these. They really are All That, and interestingly enough the cornstarch – perhaps paired with the low sugar-flour ratio – produces a cookie very different from those I generally fall back on. They have that thick denseness reminiscent of the ones I used to get at Cookies by George when we took the bus downtown after school. They aren’t cakey, but they aren’t as chewy as most. But yet they are chewy. At any rate, they’re totally fab. Even Ben looked up from the table and said, all contemplative and serious (particularly for an 8 year old), “wow, these are really good chocolate chip cookies.”

Gwens dark chocolate chunk cookie dough 1024x648 Half a Pound of Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies

I sprinkled a few with a bit of crunchy salt for salted dark chocolate cookies. I know, the whole salted caramel/chocolate combo is so last year. Who cares? It’s also so delicious.

Gwens dark chocolate chunk cookies 5 1024x682 Half a Pound of Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies

These are totally ridiculously easy to make. You don’t need to age the dough, or chill it, or do anything but nibble at it as you stir, then scoop (I really do love my levered scoop – ask Santa for one) and bake. Never before has superherosim been so easy.

Half a Pound of Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies

With thanks to Gwendolyn and Anna.

3/4 cup butter, at room temp
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1 large egg
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
8 oz. dark or semi-sweet chocolate, chopped into chunks

Preheat oven to 350F.

In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugars until pale and almost fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla.

Add the flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt and stir or beat on low until almost combined; add the chocolate chunks and stir just until blended.

Drop dough by the spoonful onto a parchment-lined (or buttered) sheet and bake for 10-14 minutes (depending on their size) until golden around the edges but still soft in the middle. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Makes about 1 1/2 dozen large cookies.

pixel Half a Pound of Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies
button print gry20 Half a Pound of Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies

September 23 2011 11:42 pm | cookies & squares

42 Responses to “Half a Pound of Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies”

1. gwendolyn on 23 Sep 2011 at 11:54 pm #

+1 on getting a cookie scoop. It has made cookie baking even easier — perhaps dangerously so. Also, after the success of this, I’m sort of curious to try corn starch in some of my other cookie recipes.

2. bev on 24 Sep 2011 at 12:11 am #

Oh shoot. I have to make these tomorrow. Wait, it’s past midnight. Maybe I’ll make them right now…

3. wanda on 24 Sep 2011 at 12:36 am #

Wow…can’t wait to make these cookies!! I made your browned butter blueberry muffins recently and doubled the recipe. I only ended up with twelve regular sized muffins and about 9 mini muffins. I thought I would end up with at least 24 mini muffins. What do you think happened?

4. Torie on 24 Sep 2011 at 1:12 am #

It’s Saturday morning where I am, and I have a batch of tea biscuits in the oven as I type, but this post makes me want to go back into the kitchen and make cookies! They look soooo good!

5. NatalieB on 24 Sep 2011 at 1:41 am #

Evil! I just had a baby six weeks ago and I’m trying not to indulge too much. Hmm, I wonder if these are good for breastfeeding? ;)

6. bellini on 24 Sep 2011 at 4:29 am #

I am now hooked Julie!

7. Carolyn on 24 Sep 2011 at 5:04 am #

I’m thinking about trying your OSC recipe with the addition of 1.5 tsp cornstarch.

8. Avery on 24 Sep 2011 at 8:11 am #

I made these when I saw the recipe on her website. I only had bittersweet chips, and halfway through making these with my toddler we ran out of all-purpose flour and scrounged up some cake flour. They still turned out divine, and four days later (can you believe my restraint?!) they’re still nice and chewy. Great cookie.

9. Katherine on 24 Sep 2011 at 8:15 am #

Oh … eff!!

Those look amazing!

10. Cheryl on 24 Sep 2011 at 8:36 am #

Both of you now? Dangerous territory indeed, especially with a kidlet who loves to bake.

11. Cheryl on 24 Sep 2011 at 8:37 am #

PS Love that you posted lettuce soup, then these.

12. Heather on 24 Sep 2011 at 9:05 am #

OMG – these look so nummy and are going the ” must bake” list! And yes, the lever scoop is a must! I have 1 for muffins too. Bakings baking so much easier.

13. CathyH on 24 Sep 2011 at 9:49 am #

I’m with Cheryl on the lettuce soup. These are MUCH more appetizing!!!

14. Fiona on 24 Sep 2011 at 11:24 am #

Oh eff, indeed. Those look amazing.

15. Bonnie White on 24 Sep 2011 at 2:59 pm #

Julie my community cookbook came. Thank you! These cookies are going to be made and taken to the Break the Fast at church tomorrow. Yum!

16. Jon on 24 Sep 2011 at 5:51 pm #

My wife just made these (@mindthecompany on twitter) and they are soooo wonderful. She used extra dark 85% cocoa chocolate bar, cut up, and they turned out like a gourmet coffee shop style cookie. We’re thinking semi-sweet next time, but still with less sugar. Thanks for this recipe! I think it’s going to remain a favourite!

17. MMac on 24 Sep 2011 at 9:44 pm #

What’s the deal with the levered scoop? Why haven’t I twigged to this before? Available at any kitchen store? I only ask all these questions to delay rummaging in the kitchen to see if I have al the ingredients to make these. They look amazing.

18. Vivian on 25 Sep 2011 at 12:21 am #

There are quite a number of levered scoops out there. Good for meatballs, tuna salad portions etc. What sized diameter would you recommend for the best cookie?

19. Stephanie on 25 Sep 2011 at 5:27 pm #

oh my god these look sooo delicious! Very much like the cookies by george at the uni. Want!!

20. Alicen on 25 Sep 2011 at 5:55 pm #

Wow.. I just called and got a carrot cake recipe from my sister-in-law, but it might have to wait. I think I’ve finally found a fate for the chocolate easter bunny that I’ve had since, well… easter :)

21. Alicen on 25 Sep 2011 at 5:56 pm #

Oh, and I have 3 diff sizes of levered scoop for exactly this reason!

22. Words Of Deliciousness on 25 Sep 2011 at 7:42 pm #

These cookies look amazing!

23. renee@sweetsugarbean on 25 Sep 2011 at 10:06 pm #

I’ve never seen a better use for half a pound of chocolate. Must! Make! Soon!

24. Jan @ Family Bites on 26 Sep 2011 at 6:15 pm #

Hello, lovelies! I must make these soon.

25. wanda on 26 Sep 2011 at 10:56 pm #

Made these today. My 7 yr old son said these are the best homemade cookies he’s ever had.

26. Lana on 27 Sep 2011 at 6:41 am #

I went home last night and made these cookies! DELISH! My girls asked me to substitute half of the dark choc with milk chocolate so I obliged and they were excellent. Thanks for another great recipe, Julie!

27. Jenn on 27 Sep 2011 at 9:58 am #

Any particular brand recommendation for a levered scoop? I have always wanted one, but have been told a few times that they don’t work very well. Also, what size would be best for cookies, muffins, etc.?

28. Erica B. on 27 Sep 2011 at 10:25 am #

@Jenn Pampered Chef. I don’t sell it but I do get invited to the occasional party(Hi Deborah! hehe). I own their scoops, can opener and veggie peeler and they’re all used pretty much daily and still look new.

29. Avery on 27 Sep 2011 at 10:50 am #

I bought my scoop at Superstore. It’s ice cream – scoop size, so my cookies were about the size of large, coffee house style cookies.

30. Robyn {Planet Byn} on 27 Sep 2011 at 7:44 pm #

i love that everyone loves these cookies! i’ve been making this recipe for almost 10 years!

31. suchalab on 04 Oct 2011 at 6:23 pm #

@ Jenn, I too have Pampered Chef and use them all the time. The one I used for these cookies is marked 40 on the inside lever, not sure if this is a universal size measurement(perhaps someone else out there can comment) and measures about a tablespoon. I have a smaller one as well, marked 60. Had them for 10 yrs + and still looking great! Worth the expense for quality.
    Julie, made these this aft and it is all I can do to restrain myself from eating them all now.

32. Patricia from Montréal on 15 Oct 2011 at 1:07 pm #

Just made these and had 3! First time I bake cookies with a scoop. I like it a lot. First time I use “real” chocolate too, Callebaut. Awesome! Merci!

33. Laurel on 15 Oct 2011 at 4:40 pm #

OMG! Can’t stop making these. They are so good. Use milk and dark chocolate and added pecans this batch too. So yummy! Thanks for sharing.

34. Laurel on 15 Oct 2011 at 4:42 pm #

Can’t stop making these. They are so good. Used milk and dark chocolate and added pecans this batch too. So yummy! Thanks for sharing.

35. Jeannette on 27 Oct 2011 at 8:43 pm #

Such a great recipe! Thanks so much – you are a great cookie resource. They disappear every time I put them out…

36. Orange Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies | dinner with Julie | Chocolate Delight on 16 Dec 2011 at 2:20 am #

[...] thanks to Anna Olson for her chocolate chip cookie recipe – now the standard to which I compare all other [...]

37. Heather on 17 Aug 2012 at 6:10 pm #

I found this recipe awhile ago and said that I couldn’t wait to try it, but I never came back to give a review! Here I am making a batch a few months later so I thought while I was here that I’d say I absolutely LOVE these cookies! they’re amazing! Best cookies recipe ever except my moms peabutbutter delights :) Thank you so dearly!

38. Kamille on 24 Jan 2013 at 5:42 am #

My little sister and I made some of this just a while ago. It was…PERFECTION! I will never be happy with any other chocolate chip cookie either store bought or homemade. This recipe from now on is the only one we will ever recognize or follow when making chocolate chip cookies. The only thing left to do now is to decide how we can divide these cookies between ourselves without having to fight to the death! :P

39. Miss T on 07 Mar 2013 at 10:38 am #

Having one now with a glass of milk. Yum! Had to leave them in for a bit longer, but that’s probably one of the peculiarities of my oven. Mine came out perfect – looked even better than shop bought cookies, and were very tasty.

40. Julie on 08 Mar 2013 at 3:26 pm #

Miss T – so glad to hear it!!

41. Greens with Quinoa & Strawberries and Dark Chocolate Chunk Oat Cookies » Dinner With Julie on 16 May 2013 at 10:26 pm #

[...] dark chocolate chunk cookies on Saturday and Sunday. I’ve taken to making Anna Olson’s half pound of dark chocolate chunk cookies, swapping oat flour for 1/2 cup of the all-purpose flour. This makes them a little more tender [...]

42. Blueberry Puff Pastry Pies - Dinner With Julie Dinner With Julie Blueberry Puff Pastry Pies » Dinner With Julie on 18 May 2014 at 1:40 pm #

[…] think chocolate was my preferred dessert category. (And I’m still fully in love with a good chocolate chunk cookie or brownie or squidgy chocolate cake.) But there really are few better things in this world than a […]