Zucchini & Sweet Potato Loaf

zucchini sweet potato loaf 1024x682 Zucchini & Sweet Potato Loaf

I may be done with banana bread. For a little while, anyway. We just need a break from each other. I may just be tired of the avalanche of bananas each time I try to locate something in the freezer. And in the fall, I do love the idea of baking with squash and sweet potatoes. And I always get this sense that I’m somehow taking care of everybody when I have a loaf baking in the oven.

Let’s keep that illusion going.

This is – yes – more of a cake. It’s dense and moist, and crackly on top. Somehow baking it in a loaf pan makes it seem more suitable for breakfast and snacking, but if you baked it in layers and slathered it with cream cheese frosting, you’d have yourself a pretty substantial cake. I cut back on the sugar, but it’s still pretty sweet. I’m quite sure, however, that most coffee shop baking is loaded with the good stuff – butter, sugar, oil – ignorance is bliss, right?

Oh hey! You can totally make this with grated raw winter squash – like butternut or pumpkin – in place of the sweet potato, too.

Zucchini & Sweet Potato Loaf

adapted from Bon Appétit, November 1992

2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup canola or mild vegetable oil (or half oil, half applesauce or pumpkin puree)
3 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups grated zucchini
1 1/2 cups grated peeled sweet potato
1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted

Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a 9×5-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray. In a large bowl, stir together the dry ingredients. In a medium bowl, stir together the sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla and add to the dry ingredients along with the zucchini and sweet potato. Add walnuts and stir just until combined.

Transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake for about 1 hour 20 minutes, until golden and the top is springy to the touch. Cool bread in pan on rack 15 minutes. Cut around bread to loosen. Turn out onto rack and cool completely. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Wrap in foil and let stand at room temperature.)

Makes 1 big, hefty loaf.

pixel Zucchini & Sweet Potato Loaf
button print gry20 Zucchini & Sweet Potato Loaf

November 17 2011 10:27 pm | breakfast and cake

5 Responses to “Zucchini & Sweet Potato Loaf”

1. Corinne on 17 Nov 2011 at 11:03 pm #

Julie, we enjoyed your book launch so much. What an absolutely beautiful book you and Sue have written. It is a rich, creative work, both artistic and nutritional. The nibbles prepared by the Cookbook Co were delicious! I will be serving ‘bean’ appetizers at our next family gathering, which will be this weekend. I need three more copies of “Spillin the Beans’. I honestly cannot think of a finer Christmas gift. Thanks to you and Sue for making Christmas gift giving so meaningful. Our heartiest congratulations!

2. Ashley on 18 Nov 2011 at 12:23 pm #

Yumm looks delicious! I haven’t tried sweet potato in a loaf before.

3. molly on 21 Nov 2011 at 6:25 pm #

oh GOLLY, this sounds good. only problem being, my kiddos won’t touch quick breads (or cakes, sans frosting, crazies). wondering if i might eat the whole loaf…

4. Lucianna on 24 Nov 2011 at 9:07 am #

I gave my friend this recipe and told her she should try it. The same night she ended up baking it. This morning, I joined her and a friend of mine for a run. Post-run, she said “you should come over and have a slice!” So, we did, and well,… it is delicious! Many compliments!!

5. Chocolate Chip Zucchini Brownies | My Family Blog on 11 Sep 2012 at 11:41 am #

[...] One of my favorite things to do with a summer surplus (besides a dense chocolate cake, muffins or a loaf) is to make brownies. These are like a cross between fudgy brownies and dense chocolate cake [...]