Maple Gingerbread Cutout Cookies

Kids making cookies 2 1024x682 Maple Gingerbread Cutout Cookies

This is how we spent last Saturday afternoon. W invited his two besties, and we rolled and cut and sprinkled cookies, and loaded hot chocolate with mini marshmallows and even more sprinkles.

Although I love rolled cookies, particularly those that give me an excuse to use the bag of vintage metal cutters I scored at Value Village for $2.99, sugar cookies can be a little dull, and gingerbread isn’t my favourite. I love the warm, heady, better-than-pot-pourri spices of gingerbread, but find molasses too hard-core for someone who really really dislikes black licorice.

But flipping through Anna Olson’s latest book, Back to Baking, I came across pale golden maple gingerbread cutout cookies that totally fit the bill. (Aside: I just spent 10 days with her in Jasper, and she’s every bit as awesome in person as on TV.)

kids making cookies 1024x682 Maple Gingerbread Cutout Cookies

These cookies are paler golden and mildly spiced; I left out the lemon zest and ginger and cut down on the allspice (from 3/4 tsp. to 1/4 tsp.) because I thought it would overwhelm the maple flavour, which tends to get lost once baked anyway. I found the dough to be a bit sticky – likely on account of the syrup – and so upped the flour a bit. You’ll need to generously flour your work area, especially if you have little hands squishing the dough as flat as they can on the table. Use a thin spatula to lift them off, or roll the dough between two sheets of parchment instead.

Kids making cookies 3 1024x682 Maple Gingerbread Cutout Cookies

There are a great deal more cookies in my immediate future, with our cookie exchange this Saturday afternoon! (Want to come? Say so here and I’ll email you!) A few of you requested a virtual cookie exchange – let’s do it. I’ll of course post all about the exchange and as many recipes as I can gather. If you’d like to be a part of it, post your recipes – or links to your own sites – on Saturday’s post! Does that work?

Maple Gingerbread Cutout Cookies

Adapted from Back to Baking, by Anna Olson

1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1 large egg
1 tsp. grated fresh ginger
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. allspice
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt

In a large bowl, beat the butter, brown sugar and maple syrup with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Beat in the egg and ginger.

In a small bowl, stir together the flour, cinnamon, allspice, baking soda and salt; add to the butter mixture and beat on low speed or stir by hand until you have a soft dough. Divide the dough into 3 pieces, wrap each in plastic and refrigerate for 2-3 hours, or up to a day.

When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350F. On a well-floured surface, roll the dough out 1/4-inch thick. Cut into shapes and bake on a parchment-lined sheet for 10 minutes, or until pale golden. Cool completely before decorating. Makes lots.

pixel Maple Gingerbread Cutout Cookies
button print gry20 Maple Gingerbread Cutout Cookies

December 08 2011 11:15 pm | cookies & squares

12 Responses to “Maple Gingerbread Cutout Cookies”

1. kickpleat on 08 Dec 2011 at 11:28 pm #

I once interviewed Anna and I thought she was soooo nice! And those cookies look really good. Love those vintage cookie cutters!

2. Gwen Nowlan on 09 Dec 2011 at 12:05 am #

I am hoping for this book! We sent her cupcake liners that she used in the book:-)

3. Carolyn on 09 Dec 2011 at 5:03 am #

I bought the new Anna book and can’t wait to dig into it! I met her in person a couple of years ago and she is such a nice person…as are most good bakers! Thank you for the virtual cookie exchange. I’m getting my recipe ready!

4. christine on 09 Dec 2011 at 8:11 am #

The pictures of those little hands bring back lots of memories…my “boys” are now 22 and 25 year old men. How did that happen? They are coming home in less than a week for the holidays (yippee!). Looking forward to tomorrow!

5. Vivian on 09 Dec 2011 at 11:55 am #

I just took a batch of these cookies out of the oven and they are GREAT! They were cut into star shapes and I so enjoy biting off each little arm and still having a “mini” cookie left. More cookie recipes, tried and true, yes, please!

6. Wendy on 09 Dec 2011 at 5:42 pm #

Can’t wait to try these – maple in anything is great! Could I get an email for tomorrow please if there is room? Will come with cookies for exchange and munching. Anything else? Thanks so much!!

7. Sandy on 09 Dec 2011 at 6:35 pm #

My cookies are all baked and packaged, the recipe is printed and the whole works is by the door – ready for tomorrow!! Looking forward to it.

8. Cassie on 09 Dec 2011 at 11:32 pm #

I’m still baking away for tomorrows party :) I have no idea how many I should take… hmm…

9. Jen T on 10 Dec 2011 at 7:08 am #

I think I can make it! I look forward to coming.

10. natalie - ga on 10 Dec 2011 at 9:06 am #

Can’t wait to see all the cookie exchange recipes! Have a fun time!

11. Ashley on 11 Dec 2011 at 11:06 am #

These sound amazing! I love that you modified the recipe to try and highlight the maple flavour more.

12. Kid-Made Mac & Cheese » Dinner With Julie on 15 Jun 2013 at 2:41 pm #

[…] do often cook when his friends are over – naturally, the demand is most often for cookies. Whether he has guests ore not, I love that […]