Bacon Shortbread with Salted Ale (or Stout) Caramel

bacon shortbread salted ale toffee 2 1024x654 Bacon Shortbread with Salted Ale (or Stout) Caramel

Help! I’m housebound with access to the remnants of two Christmas cookie exchanges covering my dining room table. Oh the catching up I have to do.

bacon shortbread salted ale toffee 1 1024x682 Bacon Shortbread with Salted Ale (or Stout) Caramel

I managed to get all this weekend photos up onto my computer. I started at the end of the images, as in most recent, and didn’t make it past this bacon shortbread topped with salted ale caramel and chocolate. Looks like I’ll be doling out a cookie at a time here. As for the photos, I gingerly held the camera close to my waist, aimed at the finished product and hoped for the best. I kind of like them.

bacon shortbread salted ale toffee 3 1024x682 Bacon Shortbread with Salted Ale (or Stout) Caramel

Mike made these last night for my CBC segment this morning, which I did from bed, by phone. Last night I hobbled downstairs and sat on a stool (I know, bad idea) and walked Mike through these babies, getting him to cook the bacon and chill the drippings, beat it with butter, add flour and crumbled crispy bacon and pat it into a pan to bake. Then he cooked down the ale and made caramel, at which point I couldn’t stick around any longer and left it in his charge, candy thermometer in hand. He did good. The caramel gets poured over the baked shortbread, and once it cools, topped with melted chocolate. It all isn’t as big a deal as it sounds – and you wind up with a sort of homemade Twix bar, with bacon in the base. (Or not – you can totally leave it out and replace the drippings with more butter.)

And hey, if Mike can make them, so can you.

Bacon Shortbread with Salted Ale (or Stout) Caramel

adapted from Ole & Shaina Olmanson

1 batch bacon shortbread (above)

Caramel:
about half a bottle of ale or stout, divided
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup corn syrup or Roger’s golden syrup
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1 cup chocolate chips or chopped dark or semisweet chocolate

Pat the bacon shortbread dough into an 8×8-inch pan and bake at 325F for 30 minutes, until very pale golden around the edges and set. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, simmer 1/2 cup of the ale for about 20 minutes, until it’s reduced by more than half.

In a largish pot (it will bubble up) combine 1/4 cup more of the ale (from the bottle), sugars, butter, cream, syrup and salt over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture reaches 244F on a candy thermometer. Stir in the reduced ale and pour over the shortbread base. Let stand or chill until firm.

Melt the chocolate chips in a small bowl in the microwave, stirring until melted. Spread over the set caramel and let stand or refrigerate for 10 minutes, until set. Run a thin knife around the edge of the pan and invert the squares onto a cutting board, then cut into squares or bars with a sharp, heavy knife. Makes about 24 bars.

pixel Bacon Shortbread with Salted Ale (or Stout) Caramel
button print gry20 Bacon Shortbread with Salted Ale (or Stout) Caramel

December 13 2011 08:19 pm | cookies & squares

17 Responses to “Bacon Shortbread with Salted Ale (or Stout) Caramel”

1. Corinne on 13 Dec 2011 at 8:46 pm #

Get well soon Julie.

2. Vincci on 13 Dec 2011 at 8:49 pm #

Get well soon! Those sounded *amazing* this morning!

3. Karen W on 13 Dec 2011 at 8:51 pm #

Julie, feel better soon. And great job Mike. And I may have to make these beauties.

4. H-woman on 13 Dec 2011 at 9:03 pm #

I was wondering how you made it down to the station!! Feel better soon =)

5. sara on 13 Dec 2011 at 9:20 pm #

WOW, these look incredible!! Feel better soon!

6. bev on 13 Dec 2011 at 10:51 pm #

I am sooo sorry you are feeling lousy, but WOW look at the bacon-caramel dessert! Sorry sweetie, that is kind of eclipsing back problems and I am off to buy bacon…

7. Tammy on 13 Dec 2011 at 11:30 pm #

Your husband is a wonder… Take care of yourself and get better soon!!!

8. Carol SB on 14 Dec 2011 at 7:56 am #

I love your idea, Julie. A cookie a day until Christmas! DWJ’s temporary cookie blog…
    And, Julie, this IS temporary.
    Your back will get better.
    I promise.

9. Mar on 14 Dec 2011 at 8:00 am #

I share your back spasms. A deep back and hip massage has helped; at least it is possible to sleep.

10. leanne on 14 Dec 2011 at 9:44 am #

I was searching for something bacon to do for my christmas cookie assortment a little different than the bacon chocolate chip cookies I make. These look amazing, thank you, thank you, thank you for continuing to be amazing, even when not feeling well. I really hope I can pull these off, they look amazing. One question, does the caramel harden a little, just wondering for packaging purposes, I didn’t want them to all run together and also, how long should I make them before giving as a gift? Thanks again!

11. TF on 14 Dec 2011 at 1:41 pm #

I’m confused… when I clicked on the link for the bacon shortbread, I got a recipe for Salted Ale Caramel Chocolates, which would be OK too, I guess, but I was interested in the bacon shortbread…

12. Sandra on 14 Dec 2011 at 2:09 pm #

I clicked on the CBC link and found the shortbread recipe

Bacon Shortbread

1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
    1/4 cup bacon drippings, chilled
    1/2 cup icing sugar
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 tsp. baking powder
    1/4 tsp. salt
    3-4 slices bacon, cooked until crisp and crumbled

Preheat oven to 325°F.

In a large bowl, beat the butter, bacon fat and icing sugar with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Add the flour, baking powder and salt and beat on low speed or stir until almost blended. Add the crumbled bacon and stir just until blended.

Divide the dough in half and press each into an 8″ or 9″ pan; score dough into 8 wedges and press around the outer edge with the tines of a fork.

Bake in middle of the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden. Cool completely in the pans on a wire rack, and cut into wedges with a sharp knife. Makes 32 wedges.

13. Jan @ Family Bites on 14 Dec 2011 at 2:31 pm #

Go, Mike! These look incredible (of course!). Feel better soon, Julie. Back pain is truly terrible.

14. kickpleat on 14 Dec 2011 at 2:36 pm #

I hope you start feeling better, Julie! But man, what a trooper Mike is!! Nice job :)

15. Cheryl on 15 Dec 2011 at 7:53 am #

Sweet jesus this look incredible. Glad to hear that you are on the mend.

16. Cooking with Beer for Oktoberfest! | My Family Blog on 03 Oct 2012 at 6:41 am #

[…] HomeRelationshipsDatingWeddingMarriageDivorcePregnancyParentingAdoptionBabysitting and NannyDadCarsMe TimeMomNew Mom @HomeSingle ParentingKidsBabyToddlerChildChildren’s booksTeensEducationCollegeElementaryHigh SchoolHome SchoolPre-KindergardenSenior CitizensDeath & DyingGrandparentingFamily FunCampingCruisesFamily TimeFamily TravelGift GuidesHolidays & SeasonsPartyPetsWorkHome OfficeHome-Based BusinessesMoneyMoney TalksNew Mom @WorkFashionFashionClothingF & HFoodHealthgoogle_ad_client = "ca-pub-4636309072072692"; /* fam_header_728x90 */ google_ad_slot = "4248373277"; google_ad_width = 728; google_ad_height = 90; Follow us:         Home » Food » Cooking with Beer for Oktoberfest!Cooking with Beer for Oktoberfest! Wednesday, 3 October 2012, 7:34 | Food | 0 Comment | Read 2 Times Tagged with: food google_ad_client = "ca-pub-4636309072072692"; /* fam_underpost_468_60 */ google_ad_slot = "7952716347"; google_ad_width = 468; google_ad_height = 60; Oktoberfest – that two-week festival celebrating everything beer, ale and lager – has its roots in Munich, Bavaria and Germany, but the October festivities have spread worldwide. Who wouldn’t want to partake in a party centred around the world’s most popular alcoholic beverage, and the food that goes with it? If you have an Oktoberfest party planned – or even if you don’t – here are some delicious ways to combine the two. Cheers! Bacon and Beer CarbonaraAnd now for something completely different – classic pasta carbonara, made with bacon and beer! A delicious Octoberfest dinner. The Family Kitchen has the recipe!/family-kitchen/2012/10/03/cooking-with-beer-for-oktoberfest/#bacon-and-beer-carbonara Beer Battered Coconut ShrimpBeer-battered coconut shrimp is crunchy and delicious – a wonderful addition to any Oktoberfest party, or perfect for nibbling on the couch in front of the TV!Family Kitchen has the recipe!/family-kitchen/2012/10/03/cooking-with-beer-for-oktoberfest/#beer-battered-coconut-shrimp Real Baked Beans with Bacon & BeerThis is the real thing – baked beans simmered with salty bacon and hearty beer – perfect for chilly October days.The Family Kitchen has the recipe!/family-kitchen/2012/10/03/cooking-with-beer-for-oktoberfest/#real-baked-beans-with-bacon-beer Chef Michael Smith’s Cheddar & Ale SoupAle soup is classic pub food – it’s simple to simmer a pot and serve with crusty bread – and a pint! Dinner with Julie has the recipe!/family-kitchen/2012/10/03/cooking-with-beer-for-oktoberfest/#chef-michael-smiths-cheddar-ale-soup Beer Battered Zucchini FriesCrispy on the outside, soft within – battered zucchini fries make great use of all that zucchini that’s in season in the fall. Perfect for Oktoberfest nibbling!The Family Kitchen has the recipe!/family-kitchen/2012/10/03/cooking-with-beer-for-oktoberfest/#beer-battered-zucchini-fries Beer PancakesThe secret ingredient in these pancakes – a light lager – makes them light and fluffy, and adds a hoppy tang. The Family Kitchen has the recipe!/family-kitchen/2012/10/03/cooking-with-beer-for-oktoberfest/#beer-pancakes Beer and Swiss Cheddar FondueA classic pairing – beer and cheese, with crusty bread for dipping! It’s the ultimate fall and winter party food – if you don’t have a fondue set, use bamboo skewers.The Family Kitchen has the recipe!/family-kitchen/2012/10/03/cooking-with-beer-for-oktoberfest/#beer-and-swiss-cheddar-fondue Black & Tan CupcakesA classic black & tan translates well into a cupcake, with Guinness adding a surprisingly caramelly flavour to the creamy frosting. Delish! Dinner with Julie has the recipe!/family-kitchen/2012/10/03/cooking-with-beer-for-oktoberfest/#black-tan-cupcakes Bacon Shortbread with Salted Ale CaramelYes, beer can count as dessert! This sweet and salty shortbread topped with beer caramel is divine – perfect when you need something special for a party or homemade gift!Dinner with Julie has the recipe!/family-kitchen/2012/10/03/cooking-with-beer-for-oktoberfest/#bacon-shortbread-with-salted-ale-caramel Beer in the Rear ChickenA crowd pleaser & conversation starter-perfect for a party, and great for grilling while the weather is still warm.Bell’alimento has the recipe!/family-kitchen/2012/10/03/cooking-with-beer-for-oktoberfest/#beer-in-the-rear-chickenRead more from source:“www.babble.com”     […]

17. Shortbread cookies on 09 Dec 2013 at 9:24 am #

[…] Shortbread is a classic Scottish dessert that traditionally consists of one part white sugar, two parts butter and three parts flour (by weight). Of course, there are hundreds of variations (like Dinner with Julie’s bacon shortbread). […]