The Big Cookie Swap

lets swap The Big Cookie Swap

I’m upright! I finally – after four days – figured out I had been doing everything exactly wrong – heat instead of ice, and lying on my back – which I thought meant taking it easy but wound up being about the most painful position I could be in. At 4:30 am I decided I wasn’t in any more pain sitting in a chair at my desk – and less so, in fact – and so I did. And here are the photos from Saturday’s cookie party! Sorry I’m so tardy.

cookie exchange 9 peanut butter balls1 The Big Cookie Swap

There were peanut butter balls! Two kinds! I had bought the ingredients, and was bummed that I didn’t get around to making some. I didn’t even have to. There were salted brownies, too.

cookie exchange 7 salted brownies1 The Big Cookie Swap

It was awesome. I mean, completely. A house full of friends and cookies, bubbly pink moscato, ‘nog, simmering cider – Carol brought her big coffee urn and sliced fresh oranges into the top, along with cinnamon sticks and other whole spices, and put apple juice in the bottom. It percolated through the spices and orange and was fab.

Carol making rosettes1 The Big Cookie Swap

She was also on rosette duty, standing at the stove with iron, oil and batter, cranking out the crispy cookies as people arrived. I had, you won’t be surprised to hear, just started cooking them as the doorbell rang. They’re best freshly cooked – having a Carol around helps.

cookie exchange 11 rainbow1 The Big Cookie Swap
cookie exchange 13 chocolate chip1 The Big Cookie Swap
cookie exchange 14 gingersnaps1 The Big Cookie Swap
cookie exchange 101 The Big Cookie Swap

We nibbled and chatted and as it was time to go, people filled containers – or ice cream buckets – with treats. It was like trick-or-treating for grown-ups. And not scary at all.

cookie exchange 4 coffee meringues1 The Big Cookie Swap
cookie exchange 11 The Big Cookie Swap
cookie exchange 3 buckeyes1 The Big Cookie Swap
cookie exchange 81 The Big Cookie Swap

I’m sure I’ve missed some, there were so many, and no two alike. I’ve been subsisting on cookies and reheated apple cider for four days. It wasn’t bad timing.

To take a stab at your own version of those chocolate-mint Girl Guide cookies, just sandwich an After Eight mint between two warm chocolate sugar cookies, or simply set one on top (open-faced) and let it fuse to the warm cookie. To streamline the process, use a log of icebox cookie dough – round or flattened on the sides so that they slice into squares.

After Eight Sandwich Cookies

These crunchy chocolate sandwiches are made by squishing an After Eight chocolate covered mint between two square chocolate cookies while they are still warm from the oven.

1/4 cup butter, softened
1 Tbsp. canola oil
3/4 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp. vanilla or peppermint extract
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
15 After Eight mints

In a large bowl, beat butter, oil and sugar with an electric mixer until well combined. Add egg and vanilla and beat for a minute, until smooth and light.

In a small bowl, stir together the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Add to the sugar mixture and stir by hand just until you have a soft dough. Shape the dough into a disc, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for an hour or until well chilled.

When you’re ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350°F. Roll the dough out between two sheets of waxed paper or on a surface very lightly dusted with a combination of flour and sugar until it’s 1/8”–1/4” thick. Using a knife, cut cookies into squares roughly the same size as After Eight mints. Reroll the scraps once to get as many cookies as possible.

Place the cookies an inch apart on a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with nonstick spray. Bake for 10–12 minutes, until set. As soon as the cookies come out of the oven, place an After Eight mint between two cookies while they are still quite warm, squeeze a little to help the chocolate melt to the cookies, and set on a wire rack to cool.

Makes 20 sandwich cookies.

Per cookie: 107 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat, 1.4 g monounsaturated fat, 0.4 g polyunsaturated fat), 18 g carbohydrates, 17 mg cholesterol, 1.7 g protein, 1.2 g fiber. 32% calories from fat

pixel The Big Cookie Swap
button print gry20 The Big Cookie Swap

December 14 2011 10:32 pm | cookies & squares

17 Responses to “The Big Cookie Swap”

1. Sue. D on 14 Dec 2011 at 10:52 pm #

Oh how I wish I’d been there! LOOK at those treats, yuh-um.

I have a certain 12 year old girl in house who’s enamoured of all things mint and chocolatey – can’t wait to give the After Eights a go!

2. Joann@womaninreallife on 15 Dec 2011 at 6:49 am #

That looks like my kind of party!

3. Avery on 15 Dec 2011 at 8:56 am #

Mmmmm… I’d have probably snatched that whole bowl of PB balls and ran (happily, greedily) had I been there. Everything sounded delicious!

4. Vivian on 15 Dec 2011 at 9:10 am #

Good idea for a cookie! I’ll give these a try next time I get some After Eights. Glad everyone had a wonderful CookieFest. Could you show how rosettes are made? I’m intrigued. They look like they’d go well with ice cream.

5. Erica B. on 15 Dec 2011 at 10:22 am #

It was an absolutely fantastic way to spend an afternoon! Loved meeting everyone and Carol that cider was delicious! The cookies I took away with me gave me the fortification required to head in to Chinook Centre & ToysRUs that evening :)

On case anyone is looking for the pecan pie cookie recipe I found it over on Bakers Royale: http://www.bakersroyale.com/cookies/pecan-pie-cookies/ ((I made them without the drizzle since I didn’t think it’d hold up well on the car trip down from Sylvan Lake))

6. Manon from Ontario on 15 Dec 2011 at 10:22 am #

OMG Julie…I’m moving…that’s it….that just looks soo good….but on the other hand…I wouldn’t fit in any of my clothes by new year!

Looks just delightful :)

MFO

7. Erica B. on 15 Dec 2011 at 10:23 am #

oops IN case even… dang fingers ;)

8. Anonymous on 15 Dec 2011 at 10:49 am #

What are scruffles? Everything looks so good. (I am so sorry about your back pain…I suffer from it as well. The best advice I have, breath in sloooowly and breathe out slowly. do this for a few minutes then as long as you can. It relaxes your body and will help with the pain.)

9. Stephanie on 15 Dec 2011 at 10:49 am #

10. Nicole on 15 Dec 2011 at 11:29 am #

After eights are my favourite candy ever. I am in love.

11. AJDoula on 15 Dec 2011 at 9:11 pm #

Scruffles are also called zucherhoernchen or icicles. I got the recipe from the Mennonite Girls Can Cook blog – http://www.mennonitegirlscancook.ca/2009/04/icicles-zuckerhoernchen.html

It was a wonderful afternoon,Julie – thanks again for opening your home.

12. Carol SB on 15 Dec 2011 at 9:38 pm #

Oh, it WAS a wonderful afternoon. So great to see the folks whose comments I’ve read… and, yum, to eat with and enjoy talking with other people who’re as in love with cooking as our lovely hostess. (True, that is grammatically ambiguous: we love cooking AND we love our Julie!)
    Manon, I know you were there in spirit… and if you noticed a sudden small weight gain, that’s because I ate a couple of cookies for you. I knew you wouldn’t mind.
    Erica, I did manage to score a couple of pecan pie cookies: thanks for the link. They are super.

13. Vincci on 15 Dec 2011 at 10:32 pm #

YUM! I’m so sad to have missed it! Glad to hear you’re feeling better, Julie!

14. Cassie on 17 Dec 2011 at 9:28 am #

So glad that I came Julie! Thanks for hosting us, it was fantastic to meet you and everyone else :)

15. Ashley on 17 Dec 2011 at 7:49 pm #

Your cookie swap sounds like SO much fun!!! I really want to participate in a cookie swap like this. Happy to hear you’re feeling better!

16. triumphantmama on 21 Dec 2011 at 10:56 am #

found u while looking for inspiration on howto do a ginormous bison roast-thx btw!it is bigger than his head&cost a fortune! anyway, these aftr8 cookies r genius! Iv recently changedover my kitchen to square muffin tins- 12 new pans! so I can churn out teeny individual pwrbars, bananabread, & brownies for my 8 y-old “Food Processor”/son. The next batch of brownies will have aftr8 surprise centrs which will fit perfctly!!! Coincidentally the roast is for our dec22nd anniversary & our wedding cake was a 7 layer chocolate torte with white mint buttrcream & covrd in aftr8s!!!! thankyou4you xo (off to put buttrcream on shoppinglist)

17. Celia on 26 Nov 2012 at 11:37 pm #

Those chocolate chip and molasses cookies look beautiful! Would it be possible to get the recipes?