Orange Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies

orange chocolate chunk cookies1 Orange Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies

I made these on a whim on Saturday morning, before everyone arrived for the exchange, and while I could still stand and work at the counter. When my mom arrived later on to bring drugs and survey the aftermath, these were her favourites (not knowing who had made them). I had Mike in mind, who adores those Terry’s Chocolate Oranges, but anyone who loves chocolate and orange together will love these. You could fancy them up with dried cranberries and white chocolate chunks and pecans, but I rather like the dramatic effect of pure dark chocolate and orange.

Chocolate orange cookie dough 21 1024x682 Orange Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies

chocolate orange cookie dough 1024x682 Orange Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies

Chocolate orange cookies 1024x684 Orange Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies

Dark Chocolate Orange Cookies

With thanks to Anna Olson for her chocolate chip cookie recipe – now the standard to which I compare all other cookies.

3/4 cup butter, at room temp
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
finely grated zest of an orange
1 large egg
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
8 oz. (or more) dark or semi-sweet chocolate, chopped into chunks
1/2 cup candied citron (optional)

Preheat oven to 350F.

In a large bowl, beat the butter, sugars and orange zest until pale and almost fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla.

Add the flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt and stir or beat on low until almost combined; add the chocolate chunks and citron (if you’re using it) and stir just until blended.

Drop dough by the spoonful onto a parchment-lined (or buttered) sheet and bake for 10-14 minutes (depending on their size) until golden around the edges but still soft in the middle. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Makes about 1 1/2 dozen large or 3 1/2 dozen small cookies.

pixel Orange Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies
button print gry20 Orange Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies

December 15 2011 08:42 pm | cookies & squares

14 Responses to “Orange Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies”

1. Carol SB on 15 Dec 2011 at 9:56 pm #

I like the ‘writing on the image’ thing you’ve got going on. The pictures pop even more with just a word or two: and I like how you’re mixing it up, some with writing and some without. It worked super-well on the cookie exchange ones… just that little extra, so you can tell which one is which.
    Looks like this recipe is another winner. I was looking through your archives for Grandma Woodall’s Marmalade cookies: can’t find the recipe. (I found references to it, though: it must exist!)
    Signed, The Rosette Queen (I love it!) *must practise waving*

2. Orange Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies | dinner with Julie | White Chocolate on 16 Dec 2011 at 12:28 am #

[…] Orange Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies […]

3. suchalab on 16 Dec 2011 at 7:30 am #

these were SO GOOD, thanks for sharing the recipe. I actually wondered if more of my cookie swag had an orange influence and then I realized it was orange in yours that was doing the trick. Yummo!

To Carol, yes you must practice the Royal Wave and perhaps a tiara for
    ‘rosetteing’ if there is ever another time! :)

4. Angela on 16 Dec 2011 at 9:52 am #

I LOVE chocolate and orange together! Swiss Orange Chocolate Chip ice cream at Swenson’s (San Francisco) was my favorite ice cream in my youth. I once created a tart to honor this ice cream,http://thewellwornapron.blogspot.com/2011/03/swiss-orange-chip-tart.html

5. christine on 16 Dec 2011 at 12:48 pm #

I hope you are on the mend! I just made a trifle from Saveur for a party tonight and I am over the moon at how beautifully it turned out. This never happens to me! I will probably be in a diabetic coma after eating it (even though I’m not diabetic) but it will be worth it. happy holidays!

6. Lesli on 16 Dec 2011 at 2:59 pm #

I think I`m going to make these. Thanks!

7. margo on 17 Dec 2011 at 12:01 am #

I will be making these; not getting much baking done this year with an ailing 87 yr old dad in hospital; but, he loves ginger, and he loves chocolate (at least when he has an appetite); so I’m going to put candied ginger in place of the candied citron. I can’t see how they won’t be fantastic. Thank you! And thanks for inspiring me. Sometimes, stuff like baking just doesn’t make it on the priority list. But as my adult children start coming home from University etc. we can make these together.
    I need to do it. : )

8. Shauna on 17 Dec 2011 at 6:34 pm #

Those cookies look and sound phenomenal. They remind me of your salted chocolate chunk cookies.
    I have to share, I just hosted a mini cookie swap with my close friends, and one of them made your carrot cookies with lemon cream cheese frosting from One Smart Cookie. To die for!

9. Susannah on 24 Dec 2011 at 7:44 am #

Everytime I try a new recipe from you it is like a new gift that just keeps on giving. Thank you. I have just taken the first sheet of these out of the oven and oooh la la they are good!!!! Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas and all the best for 2012.

10. Amy on 24 Dec 2011 at 2:40 pm #

The. Best. Cookie. Ever.

11. Yi on 11 Dec 2012 at 11:54 am #

Can’t wait to try this recipe! How much of the grated orange peel should be added to this recipe? Also, can we use clementine peel instead?

12. Sanja on 21 Dec 2012 at 10:30 am #

The flavor of these cookies was fantastic. By far my favorite chocolate chip cookie flavor wise. However, they also turned out very hard and I was wondering if I had something wrong (I did cream butter and sugar pretty well) and if there is a way to keep them softer. The flavor – sooooo delicious!!!!!

13. Nikki on 23 Feb 2013 at 12:29 pm #

I’ve made these before, and I love them. I was thinking of something good to bake seeing as my Ginger Pear Bundt cake is almost gone, and I think this is it. It’s a good thing I don’t mind sharing with others or I’d need to hit the gym 5 times a day!

14. Julie on 23 Feb 2013 at 1:38 pm #

Nikki – ha, yes, it’s good to have people around to share with!