Mincemeat Muffins

Mincemeat Muffins 1024x682 Mincemeat Muffins

I woke up early this morning, and finding myself downstairs in the kitchen in the dark surrounded with half cleaned-out cupboards and drawers and a sink more than full with dirty dishes, I opted to make muffins. Breakfast is important, right?

Mincemeat muffins 3 1024x682 Mincemeat Muffins

Also, that half jar of mincemeat in the fridge was far more pressing than total kitchen reorganization. (I do this every holiday week – decide to overhaul the kitchen or bedroom or basement, or all three. Most often my gumption runs out after I’ve taken everything out, and before I put it all back away.)

Mincemeat muffins 2 1024x682 Mincemeat Muffins

Mincemeat is one of those things that -unlike chocolate and cheese and wine- does not translate well to any season beyond Christmas. Namely January. Eating mince tarts in the middle of January just does not taste the same as the middle of December. But what else do you do with all that mincemeat?

Bake muffins!

They won’t come out tasting of mince tarts, but of themselves – moist and fruity and wonderfully spiced. You can add chopped apple or pear and pecans or walnuts too, if you like. And if you have a little more than a cup of mincemeat, or a little less, don’t sweat it – they’ll still work.

And the house will smell wonderful when everyone gets up.

Mincemeat Muffins

Gourmet, December 1997

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup milk
1/3 cup canola or other mild vegetable oil
1 large egg
1 cup all-fruit mincemeat
1 small tart apple, cored and chopped
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 400°F and line twelve muffin cups with paper liners.

In a largish bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. In a smaller bowl (or Pyrex measuring cup) stir together the milk, oil and egg, and add it to the flour along with the mincemeat. Stir until the batter is almost combined, then add the apple and nuts and stir just until blended. Don’t worry about getting the lumps out.

Fill the muffin cups almost full and bake for 25 minutes, or until golden and springy to the touch. Serve warm.

Makes 1 dozen muffins.

pixel Mincemeat Muffins
button print gry20 Mincemeat Muffins

December 29 2011 03:15 pm | bread and breakfast and snacks

7 Responses to “Mincemeat Muffins”

1. CanadyAnna on 29 Dec 2011 at 4:10 pm #

Another tasty way I found to use up extra mincemeat is in and around the balls of Monkey Bread (or, I suppose, any other pull apart sort of sweetbread-y kind of loaf).

2. LJR on 29 Dec 2011 at 8:19 pm #

Mincemeat is wonderful in choc brownies – I use however much is leftover from whatever!! Well, up to half a cup!!!! Moist, yummy to mincemeat lovers and a mystery to those who are not!!!! I’ve never had anyone say “yuck, what’s in this?” More for the baker I say!

3. jacquie on 30 Dec 2011 at 9:02 pm #

the muffins look wonderful. though i find myself disagreeing w/ you a bit as i think mincement tastes appropiate for longer than jan – maybe not in the summer – but at least through march or april :)

do you have a brand of mincement that you are particulary partial to?

4. anja on 31 Dec 2011 at 6:38 am #

dear julie, just tried these, they are lovely! hope you and your family have a good start in/ into the new year! all the best from very faraway berlin,anja

5. Sandy on 01 Jan 2012 at 2:16 pm #

Yummy – we tried these, Julie, and they are great and do make the house smell so good! Another recipe to add to the binder. Happy New Year to you and yours.

6. Ashley on 06 Jan 2012 at 9:18 am #

I don’t really like mincemeat tarts but love the sound of these muffins!

7. grams per cup on 25 Jul 2014 at 9:12 pm #

A salad of 3 cups of Romaine Lettuce can give about 10 percent with the daily needs of ALA.

grams per cup c) Replenish your body by drinking 2½
    cups of water for every pound lost after physical activity.
    Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups basically stand-alone
    but there are more Reese’s products inside the line.