Spicy Roasted Shrimp & Broccoli

Roasted shrimp Broccoli 2 1024x646 Spicy Roasted Shrimp & Broccoli

Aside from the idea that this is a fresh and spanking-clean new year (really, what’s different between this Tuesday and last, besides a new calendar on my wall?), mostly in January I want to eat more cleanly, with more of the veggies I’ve so woefully neglected for the past month or two. Since around Halloween, really, and then there were those almost two weeks spent in Jasper, where there was salad, but mostly morning pastries and buffets and martinis and chocolate and cheese. And then it was winter and Christmastime, and wait.. I’m not coming up with a valid excuse here, am I?

And today, back at my desk and forced to answer phone calls and emails, and open that stack of mail from the bank and Revenue Canada (which they always seem to send on Fridays or right before Christmas, or on the Friday right before Christmas), I feel like I should also be eating my broccoli.

Roasted shrimp broccoli 3 1024x682 Spicy Roasted Shrimp & Broccoli

And so I took it as an opportunity to try a recipe I’ve been meaning to give a go – and served it in shallow dishes I unearthed from the basement (in an attempt to declutter) that were a wedding gift in 1994 and I’ve maybe used once. I’m going to use them now. 1994!! The New Year is supposed to be all about newness and possibility, but every year it winds up being a bit like a mini midlife crisis.

In a good way, of course. I’m happy to be here, to be ringing in 2012 with those I love, even though technically I was in the bathroom at midnight. The collective lull of the holidays allows enough of a breather to take a look at life and which steps to take (or not) next. What I want to spend my time and money and energies on. To talk myself out of starting too many new things, or to be too fearful of same. And to be thankful that we get the luxury of choice.

Roasted shrimp broccoli 1 1024x682 Spicy Roasted Shrimp & Broccoli

Would it be too much to ask for a longer lull, so I can start the new year being able to see my desktop? And although I still wonder why eating broccoli should be so much more virtuous than eating shortbread, at least it makes life seem more tacklable when you feel less Jabba-the-Hutt-ish.

If you time it right, the rice will cook in exactly the same amount of time as the broccoli and shrimp take to roast. If you go ahead and toss the lemon wedges onto the pan too they’ll get all roasted and squishy, and you’ll be able to squeeze far more of the juice and soft pulp over your shrimp and broccoli, if you like that sort of thing. Be warned roasted lemon wedges have more give than a raw one; Mike doused the front of his AC/DC T-shirt in lemon guts.

Spicy Roasted Shrimp & Broccoli

Adapted from The New York Times and The Wednesday Chef by way of Everybody Likes Sandwiches – this recipe gets around.

2 large heads of broccoli
3-4 Tbsp. canola or olive oil
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1/2 tsp. chili flakes
salt & freshly ground black pepper
10-20 large raw shrimp, shelled and deveined
1 lemon, zested and then cut into wedges

Preheat oven to 425F.

Toss the broccoli with about 2 tablespoons of oil, the cumin, coriander, 1/4 teaspoon of the chili flakes, and half the salt and pepper. In a small bowl, toss the shrimp with the remaining chili flakes, salt and pepper, olive oil and the lemon zest. Cut the lemon lengthwise into quarters.

Spread the broccoli out on a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet, add the lemon wedges if you like, and roast for 10 minutes. Add the shrimp and cook for 8-10 minutes more – just until the shrimp are opaque. Serve over rice, with a squeeze of lemon. Serves 2.

pixel Spicy Roasted Shrimp & Broccoli
button print gry20 Spicy Roasted Shrimp & Broccoli

January 03 2012 03:33 pm | one dish and seafood and vegetarian

29 Responses to “Spicy Roasted Shrimp & Broccoli”

1. Courtney on 03 Jan 2012 at 3:43 pm #

Looks great Julie! Will have to add this into the rotation.

2. gwendolyn on 03 Jan 2012 at 4:25 pm #

I like how one of the automated recipe suggestions below is for caramel/butterscotch three ways. Yup, that’s clean eating! :D

But this looks delicious and I’m with you on the eating cleaner track….

3. Jan @ Family Bites on 03 Jan 2012 at 4:51 pm #

Hello, yummy dinner! This looks great. I’m with you on the cleaner eating AND the letters from Revenue Canada. Don’t they know not to send notices the week after the holidays?

4. mmac on 03 Jan 2012 at 5:21 pm #

Love that this serves two. Everything new I’ve looked at this week serves 6-8, which makes me revert to old standbys.

5. NickI on 03 Jan 2012 at 5:40 pm #

im happy to hear you’re starting the year trying to eat cleaner and more healthy! Looks very delicious. Must try! X N

6. Carol SB on 03 Jan 2012 at 5:47 pm #

Ha ha! I love that “Mike doused his ac/dc t-shirt in lemon guts”. You crack me up.
    …And you help me eat better. Looks delicious and fresh.

7. Sue. D on 03 Jan 2012 at 9:24 pm #

Wow! Looks mighty fine to me – I love it that healthy intersects with spicy shrimp! Very win-win!

8. Erica B. on 03 Jan 2012 at 10:27 pm #

Looks delicious & roasted broccoli is a whole lot more interesting steamed version. Going to have to add this to the rotation as soon as I find some good shrimp.

9. kickpleat on 03 Jan 2012 at 11:48 pm #

So glad you loved this recipe – it’s a favorite that I make often. Yes, I’m also feeling a bit introspective – figuring out and planning and making choices. You’re so sweet, Julie, I’m sure you’ll find the right steps. Have a wonderful new year and hopefully we’ll meet again soon!

10. Erica B. on 04 Jan 2012 at 1:10 am #

PS: On the subject of where you were at midnight– I once got stuck on a bus going the wrong way in the West Island of Montreal at midnight–and the guy at the back of the bus was *ahem* (sorry no delicate way to say this)puking out the window. Good times! That was the year I decided it was house parties or quiet nights at home for NYE :)

11. Angela on 04 Jan 2012 at 12:16 pm #

I’m a fan of The Wednesday Chef and have made this several times. This is also very good with the cauliflower-broccoli combo bag they sell at Trader Joe’s. Yum.

12. Mom with Twins on 04 Jan 2012 at 1:36 pm #

Great recipe! This will be on our rotation for sure.

13. Stay-At-Home-Chef on 04 Jan 2012 at 4:56 pm #

I always resist that natural urge to eat healthy in January but one look at your broccoli and yup – that’s what my body wants. After a month of adding Baileys and/or eggnog to my morning coffee every day I suppose it’s about time I try something green :)

14. Laurie from Burnaby on 04 Jan 2012 at 11:52 pm #

I love Christmas and New Year – and Thanksgiving too, for that – but right now I don’t want anything rich any more. I’m cutting back and eating plain and vege type things, so this is just lovely as it is with no rice. Thank you, Julie.
    Happy New Year

15. Jennifer on 05 Jan 2012 at 1:14 pm #

“And although I still wonder why eating broccoli should be so much more virtuous than eating shortbread, at least it makes life seem more tacklable when you feel less Jabba-the-Hutt-ish.”

That is, quite possibly, the best thing I’ve ever read!

16. Fiona on 05 Jan 2012 at 2:00 pm #

I’m making this tonight. I watched last night as my other half ate the last of the shortbread, and I didn’t feel a single pang of jealousy. We still have fudge in the fridge but man, I’m goodied out. So bring on the veggies.

17. JulieVR on 05 Jan 2012 at 2:00 pm #

Aw, thanks!

18. suchalab on 05 Jan 2012 at 6:52 pm #

had this tonight, mmmm good :) oh and easy too!

19. Anna on 06 Jan 2012 at 9:36 am #

We had this for dinner last night and it was great! Hit the spot – thanks for the idea (I had no idea what to make so I was searching my favorite blogs and your post caught my eye). I’ve never had oven roasted broccoli before (we do asparagus all the time) and it was awesome Thanks, Julie!

20. Jesus on 06 Jan 2012 at 1:40 pm #

I DO NOT APPROVE.

21. JeCaThRe on 07 Jan 2012 at 2:20 pm #

This is gorgeous. I will definitely put this on the agenda for the next time I’m cooking for just two. Sure, I could increase the amounts, but I think this would make a lovely ‘dinner alone’ meal.

22. Claudia from Sherwood Park on 08 Jan 2012 at 9:56 am #

Hi Julie! I tried this for a fast dinner for 1 the other day and YUM! I adore lemon, so I loved the way the lemon got sweet and juicy and fragrant when roasted. What a great weeknight meal!
    Thanks, and love your blog!

23. KathyG on 09 Jan 2012 at 2:50 am #

Definitely got to try this. I too am ready for something lighter come January.

24. JESUS on 09 Jan 2012 at 2:35 pm #

DOESN NOBODY CARE ABOUT MY APPROVAL?

25. Heather on 10 Jan 2012 at 6:34 pm #

Oh this was so good! I actually made this without the shrimp -I was cooking another fish dish – also very yummy and will be making this regularly. Who knew that roasted brocolli could be so good! I did cut down on the amount of oil as well and it turned out well.

26. Lisa O on 12 Jan 2012 at 8:48 pm #

Just made the recipe exactly as printed — kids loved it!

27. RMB on 14 Jan 2012 at 8:19 pm #

Made this tonight — so quick, easy and delicious! My non-spice loving daughter and loved it.

Thanks!

28. web designing on 16 Jan 2012 at 3:29 am #

really good post thanks 4 sharing

29. Miriam on 30 May 2012 at 1:55 am #

oh my:) delicious and low carb mmmmmm