Slow Cooker Guinness Baked Beans

Guinness baked beans 1024x693 Slow Cooker Guinness Baked Beans

It was -33 today. I can think of no better argument for bringing out the slow cooker.

Wait – there was a better reason. Kelsey and Phoebe and Cara (from Big Girls Small Kitchen – who’s new cookbook I became smitten with in early December when I was bedridden with a wrecked back) asked me to be a part of their slow-cooker love-in. It’s cold, and I love slow cooked food. Why not?

They’re giving away some slow cookers too, if you want to get in on the action. They’re also swapping ideas and links and pins and such, if you’re looking for slow cookin’ inspiration, which if my inbox is any indication, a lot of people are.

I must keep this short – have a story due today, which technically ends at midnight, right?

There are so many possibilities when it comes to slow cookers. So many cool things to make, but I couldn’t see past a bowl of baked beans. These are thick and sweet and tangy and everything baked beans should be, plus the beer. (As Sue puts it – feel free to swap apple juice or stock if there’s no beer in the fridge, or other members of the household protest its use this way.)

Guinness Baked Beans

a few slices of bacon, chopped (optional)
2 onions, finely chopped
2 19 oz (540 mL) cans red kidney beans, drained
2 19 oz (540 mL) cans white kidney or navy beans, drained
3/4 cup ketchup
3/4 cup barbecue sauce
1 bottle Guinness, or 1 1/4 cups beef or chicken stock or apple juice
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup Dijon, yellow, or grainy mustard
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp. molasses
salt and pepper, to taste
a few shakes of Tabasco sauce (optional)

In a heavy skillet, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove it from the pan, crumble and set aside. Sauté the onion in the bacon drippings (or dump them and replace with a drizzle of oil) for about 5 minutes, until tender and beginning to turn golden.

Transfer the onions to the bowl of a slow cooker and add the beans, ketchup, barbecue sauce, Guinness, brown sugar, mustard, vinegar, molasses, and a hit of salt and pepper. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.

Stir the bacon back into the beans right before you serve them. Makes lots.

Look who else has come to play!

FN Dish (The Food Network Blog)
Food52
Talk Nerdy to Me
The Kids Cook Monday
Early Twenties

pixel Slow Cooker Guinness Baked Beans
button print gry20 Slow Cooker Guinness Baked Beans

January 16 2012 07:46 pm | beans and slow cooker and vegetarian

19 Responses to “Slow Cooker Guinness Baked Beans”

1. Greg on 16 Jan 2012 at 7:55 pm #

I love the addition of Guinness, but also that you use different beans. It’s so funny to me that baked beans are more popular in the summer.

2. Barb on 16 Jan 2012 at 9:24 pm #

I love how versatile baked beans are. You could try a different recipe every time you make them and just keep thinking the new one is your new favorite. I haven’t used Guiness before – maybe it’s time to try it.

3. Katie on 17 Jan 2012 at 12:42 am #

How big is the bottle of Guiness? I’ve seen a few different sizes at our local liquor store. Also, I don’t have a slow cooker but I do have a dutch oven. Do you think this recipe could cook on low on the stove top?

4. bellini on 17 Jan 2012 at 6:11 am #

It seems that cooking with beer is in my future. I saw a pasta dish and am intrigued as well.

5. Sandy B on 17 Jan 2012 at 8:22 am #

These sound delicious! I grew up with Saturday night baked beans and fresh bread. My Mom didn’t add beer; but then, I’m constantly improving on my Mom’s dishes. This sounds like another one to add to my list. Thanks.

6. Kathleen on 17 Jan 2012 at 9:23 am #

Baked beans and Guinness? Yes!

7. Erica B. on 17 Jan 2012 at 10:24 am #

Perfect cold weather food. Thanks Julie!

If you have a leftover pint of Guiness I suggest http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Gramercy-Tavern-Gingerbread-103087 I know it’s after Christmas so maybe people are sick of gingerbread but this cake is wonderful. If you do make it be careful when you have the guiness and molasses on the stove-it can boil over! Use a large saucepan and keep your eye on it. :)

8. Gluten-Free 4-Alarm Chili for The Slow Cooker Challenge! | Gluten Is My Bitch on 17 Jan 2012 at 10:45 am #

[...] Dish (The Food Network Blog) Food52 Dinner With Julie The Family Dinner Foodily Punchfork The Daily Meal College Candy Her Campus College Lifestyles [...]

9. Jan @ Family Bites on 17 Jan 2012 at 11:31 am #

Love the use of different beans here. Bookmarked!

10. Sandy on 17 Jan 2012 at 11:32 am #

Now I know what to make for supper tonight – thanks Julie!

11. Ursula on 17 Jan 2012 at 1:00 pm #

This chili, with the tavern bread above and Stout Beer Jelly would be a great themed dinner. http://growitcookitcanit.com/2011/03/17/stout-beer-jelly/
    Guinness, not just for breastfeeding moms anymore!

12. natalie - ga on 17 Jan 2012 at 3:51 pm #

Try this slow cooker refried beans recipe – SO simple and good.

13. Laurelie on 18 Jan 2012 at 2:07 pm #

Yum! I made a crock pot of Hamburger Soup for supper yesterday, but this sounds much better!

14. Stephanie on 18 Jan 2012 at 3:12 pm #

I need to get my hands on a slow cooker!I have lots of childhood memories of my mom making baked beans and my siblings and I just drooling over the smell while we waited for them to be done.

15. Laurie from Burnaby on 18 Jan 2012 at 4:16 pm #

I love baked beans with bacon in them. I use them with eggs for breakfast instead of hashbrowns. I usually make them on top of the stove on slow, but I’d love to have a slow cooker. Does being in Vancouver leave me out?

16. Slow Cooker Boston Baked Beans Recipe (Kids Cook Monday) — Andrea Meyers on 25 Jan 2012 at 7:09 pm #

[...] Dinner with Julie – Slow Cooker Guinness Baked Beans {id:"post-7834",affiliate:"124c39197980088",size:"3"} ROUXBE COOKING SCHOOL & COOKING CLASSES Filed Under: Cooking With Kids, Featured, Main Course, Pork, Soups & Stews Tagged With: autumn, bacon, beans, budget meals, gluten-free, Kids Cook Monday, winter [...]

17. My Legume Love Affair Round Up: Pulse Action while Spilling the Beans! on 17 Jul 2012 at 12:23 am #

[...] from Dinner with Julie took the above photo and made the Slow Cooker Guinness Baked Beans above. I am crazy over her newest book. The one she authored with her best childhood pal, Sue [...]

18. Comfort Food Inspiration (Home Ec is Monday!) - WellPreserved.ca on 16 Jun 2013 at 4:19 pm #

[...] smell of baked beans makes me want to snuggle under a blanket. Check these out from Dinner with Julie – they’re made with [...]

19. Supplements & Natural Health Products on 05 Oct 2014 at 8:27 am #

Admiring the hard work you put into your site and in depth information you provide.
    It’s awesome to come across a blog every once in a
    while that isn’t the same out of date rehashed material. Great read!
    I’ve saved your site and I’m adding your RSS feeds to my Google account.