Curried Chickpea Tomato Soup with Peanut Butter

Curried chickpea tomato soup 1024x697 Curried Chickpea Tomato Soup with Peanut Butter

It’s going to be all soup all the time for the rest of this month, so what’s another pot among friends?

Tomorrow is Soupapalooza (you should see the shopping list in front of me), so there will be plenty to share. But I made this one two days ago and sipped the last out of a mug at my desk this afternoon, and it’s almost better than coffee. The chickpeas make it thick, and pureeing them make it sippable. Peanut butter enriches it – peanut butter may be my new favourite soup ingredient – but you can leave it out. It’s soup – you can do anything you want.

Also? It’s even better the next day.

Curried Chickpea Tomato Soup

canola or olive oil, for cooking
1 onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 19 oz. (540 mL) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 tsp. curry paste (or to taste)
1 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary
Pinch red pepper flakes
4 cups (1 L) chicken stock
1 19 oz (540 mL) can crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup cream (half & half or whipping) or plain yogurt
1 heaping spoonful peanut butter (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
fresh lime wedges

In a pot set over medium-high heat, sauté the onions until they start to turn golden. Add the chickpeas, rosemary and garlic. Add a bit of crushed red pepper flakes if you like.

Spoon half the chickpea mixture into a bowl and crush them roughly with a fork.

Add the chicken stock and tomatoes to the pot. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 30 minutes.

Add the cream and peanut butter and using a hand-held immersion blender, purée the soup until smooth. Stir the crushed chickpeas back in, add salt and pepper to taste and serve with a squeeze of lime.

pixel Curried Chickpea Tomato Soup with Peanut Butter
button print gry20 Curried Chickpea Tomato Soup with Peanut Butter

February 21 2012 10:18 pm | soup

18 Responses to “Curried Chickpea Tomato Soup with Peanut Butter”

1. molly on 21 Feb 2012 at 10:48 pm #

yum, yummity, yum-yum…

2. CathyH on 21 Feb 2012 at 11:12 pm #

This sounds AMAZING!!!!

3. emmycooks on 22 Feb 2012 at 12:48 am #

Better than coffee?! Impossible. But it does look very, very good. I am cooking soup at a rapid clip this month as well, but without your good excuse. (Mine: It’s February. I like soup.) This recipe is going in the lineup.

4. JulieVR on 22 Feb 2012 at 8:29 am #

OK you’re right – not better than coffee. But pretty good for sipping out of a mug!

5. Emily on 22 Feb 2012 at 9:11 am #

Trying it tonight! yum.

6. Pat Lothrop on 22 Feb 2012 at 9:52 am #

I’ll serve this to our group of Ladies next weekend visiting the Diamond Willow Artisan Retreat – Will give a review afterward, but I KNOW they’ll love it! Sounds amazing! (you’ve gotta come out Julie!)

7. Sandy B on 22 Feb 2012 at 11:26 am #

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Two of my favorite things — chickpeas and peanut butter — together at last in a soup! I’ll be trying that this weekend.

8. Barb on 22 Feb 2012 at 5:27 pm #

Yum seeems to be the word for it. I concure.

9. CalGirl on 22 Feb 2012 at 6:07 pm #

Julie -it was so much fun meeting you and your mom and the rest of the ladies at the Cookbook Company today for the big Soup Sisters cook party!The soups and your cookies were amazing…hopefully another cooking opportunity comes up again. Can’t wait until the book comes out.

10. Laurie from Burnaby on 22 Feb 2012 at 11:18 pm #

I wonder how this would be with coconut milk? Without the peanut butter, that’d make a totally different soup, wouldn’t it? I think I’ll try it.

11. Ashley on 23 Feb 2012 at 2:15 pm #

I looove peanut butter in soup so this sounds really delicious to me!

12. KellyH on 25 Feb 2012 at 8:27 am #

Hey Julie

Wondered, would almond butter work? I usually love to make a big batch of stuff to use for lunches at work through the week, and we have a peanut free staff room. I know the consistency can be quite different from peanut butter though. What do you think? I will certainly go with the peanut butter for home! My son’s favourite cocoa now is your recipe for peanut butter hot chocolate!! Anything powdered cannot compare now the kids have had REAL hot chocolate! :)
    Will the soup recipe book be available throughout Canada?
    Thanks for the recipe!!

13. JulieVR on 25 Feb 2012 at 9:35 am #

Yes, the book will be available throughout Canada! And I don’t see why almond butter wouldn’t work – it just adds richness and flavour to the soup, and almonds should work as well in that regard. Glad to hear your son loves the PB hot chocolate!

14. Cassie on 25 Feb 2012 at 8:34 pm #

This sounds awesome! I’m going to give it a try with coconut milk

15. kickpleat on 28 Feb 2012 at 4:03 pm #

Oooh, this sounds so so so good, Julie! It’s almost like my favorite rebar soup recipe that contains peanut butter, yams and pineapple. Well, okay, maybe not the same, but I don’t think you can go wrong with PB in soup. This will be made soon.

16. Peggy Doyle on 19 May 2012 at 11:16 am #

This soup is AMAZING! Made it a few times already and it’s always a huge hit.

17. Belfast Mummy » Blog Archive » Meal Planning Monday (23 April 2012) on 15 Jul 2012 at 2:14 pm #

[...] Lunch: Curried chickpea and tomato soup with peanut butter and bread Dinner: Oven baked fish with tomato and parsley, mash and [...]

18. Chickpeas, Tomatoes, and Peanut Butter - Real Cheap Food on 06 Sep 2012 at 1:24 pm #

[...] Some people like to puree it so it’s not so chunky, like for instance, this Curried Chickpea Tomato Soup. [...]