Maple Apple Tarte Tatin

photo1 1024x1024 Maple Apple Tarte Tatin

Our house is under siege, and the flu is winning. It has been lingering for a week and a half now, from about the exact same minute I stepped off the plane from Vancouver the weekend before last. It likes to manifest itself in different ways for each of us, just for kicks. Sinus infection? Check. Ginormous tonsils with white polka-dots? Check. Body aches? Check. Fever? Check. Swollen lymph nodes? Check. W has finally emerged, having fought off myriad symptoms and a fever for EIGHT! NIGHTS! It even spread across the street, to my sister’s house, and is wreaking a whole new havoc over there. Since I arrived back as it was emerging, I’m a few days behind and having already been sick a week, just now getting the worst of it. Anyone calling me on the phone might wonder who was strangling me as I spoke, or I sound as if I’ve swallowed a golf ball.

We’ve mostly been eating soup and toast and smoothies, and not much of any of it. I did manage to make this tarte tatin for my Tuesday segment on CBC – one I should have skipped, but I was at that stage of thinking I must be coming out of it now – and again at the Start From Scratch class I promised to help with last night. The photo really doesn’t do it justice – at all – but you get the gist, right? Just squint your eyes and imagine chewy, caramelly edges and soft-firm mapley fruit. If you plan ahead, pick up a tub of vanilla ice cream.

Maple Apple Tarte Tatin

adapted from Canadian Living

4 apples
1/4 cup butter
1/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup maple syrup

pastry for a single crust pie

Core the apples and cut them into 8 wedges (one of those apple slicers works perfectly) – don’t worry about peeling them. Preheat the oven to 425°F.

In a 9-10″ cast-iron skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat; add sugar and cook, stirring, until bubbly and just turning golden, about 2 minutes. Add maple syrup; cook, stirring, until everything is dissolved. Remove from the heat and arrange apples, flat side down, in concentric circles in the syrup.

Return to medium-low heat and cook, basting with a spoon, until apples the begin to soften and syrup starts to thicken, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat.

Meanwhile, on lightly floured surface, roll out pastry to a 10″ circle; drape over the apples, pressing the edge of the pastry down between the apples and the pan. Cut a few steam vents in the top.

Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes, then run a thin knife around the edge and invert the tarte onto a platter or plate. Replace any apples that may stick to pan and scrape out any leftover sauce, pouring it over the apples. Serve warm.

pixel Maple Apple Tarte Tatin
button print gry20 Maple Apple Tarte Tatin

March 01 2012 02:05 pm | dessert

11 Responses to “Maple Apple Tarte Tatin”

1. Jaya on 01 Mar 2012 at 3:40 pm #

Julie, your tarte is gorgeous! It might just get me over my tarte tatin mind block and into the kitchen.
    I woke up with a hideously sore throat this morning, so I hope your flu hasn’t made it down to my street! Happy healing and get well soon!

2. Kathy - Panini Happy on 01 Mar 2012 at 5:02 pm #

We’ve been battling the flu all week in our house as well – it’s the worst! My two-year old began feeling better first, adding a whole other dimension to this. :-) Hoping both our families are well soon!

3. Corinne on 01 Mar 2012 at 5:30 pm #

Get well soon Julie, Mike and Willem.
    D & C

4. CathyH on 01 Mar 2012 at 5:52 pm #

That looks gorgeous!!! You need to feel better soon. Far too many bouts of sickness for a busy gal like you! Heal quickly and get some REST!

5. jenna on 02 Mar 2012 at 10:10 am #

Thank you making up my mind about what to make for dessert tonight! Yummmmm

6. Nurse Jenn on 02 Mar 2012 at 1:02 pm #

Sounds like strep might have invaded your house! Hope you are starting to feel better :) I love anything apple – this looks delicious!

Currently enjoying a cup of coffee and a baked apple filled with oatmeal and brown sugar. Yum, yum!

7. Melody Madden on 02 Mar 2012 at 3:45 pm #

I am I love with maple syrup so this fits the bill perfectly …

8. Lesli on 03 Mar 2012 at 4:11 pm #

being sick is no fun, you still cook good even when you`re sick by the looks of it!!

9. Laurie from Burnaby on 04 Mar 2012 at 6:29 pm #

I loe the idea of tarte tatin because of putting flaky pastry on it and cooking it then turning it oer so that the pastry is still as puffy and runhy as it was when you started Kinda like heating only not really.

10. Carolyn on 09 Mar 2012 at 1:00 pm #

I HAD to make this for my Book Club – I have several boxes of apples thanks to a school fundraiser and a shelf full of maple syrup thanks to my Quebec mother-in-law. The only cast iron/oven-proof pan I had was a skillet that is over a century old but, any port in a storm…it wasn’t quite deep enough so everything bubbled over in the oven but it was still worth it! This is a definite “keeper”!

11. antiPolo on 10 Mar 2012 at 11:41 am #