Tortellini with Mushrooms, Spinach and Italian Sausage

Tortellini with sausage Spinach 1 Tortellini with Mushrooms, Spinach and Italian Sausage

I know you guys are all gaga over one-dish dinner ideas, and I’ve got a good one for ya. Everyone devoured this, and Mike asked if there was any way it could be put into regular rotation. It seems to me the sort of thing that might make most husbands happy, if I may generalize here.

Again, my inspiration came from desperation – to use the last of two tubs of baby spinach and some mushrooms that had not quite shriveled up and died. It could have taken a handful of grape tomatoes, or some chopped red pepper; any number of wilting veg would do well here. W always begs for cheese tortellini, one of his first toddler foods that still seems toddler-ish in my mind, but not here. It came together in under 20 minutes and the result was like an upscale Hamburger Helper of sorts. It should be noted that it took less time to prepare than HH, and didn’t come out of a box, nor was it any shade of florescent orange. It fed five of us, happily.

The recipe started here, but let’s face it – I never have fennel bulbs and fronds in my house. Too licoricey. It could, however, make use of any number of pasta-friendly ingredients.

Tortellini with Mushrooms, Spinach and Italian Sausage

1 lb pkg. fresh 3 cheese tortellini
a big spoonful (or two) of pesto
1 lb. (2-3) mild or spicy Italian sausages
2 cups sliced mushrooms
a few garlic cloves, chopped or crushed (optional)
1/2 cup chicken stock or water
1/2-1 cup cream (half & half or heavy)
a few handfuls torn baby spinach
grated Parmesan cheese, for serving

In a large pot of boiling water, cook the tortellini until it’s just done, according to the package directions. Drain and toss with pesto.

In a large, heavy skillet set over medium-high heat, heat a drizzle of oil and squeeze the sausage out of its casing into the pan. Sauté, breaking the meat up with a spoon, until it’s about halfway cooked; add the mushrooms and garlic and cook until the meat is no longer pink and any excess moisture has cooked off. Add the stock or water and stir to scrape the brown bits off the bottom of the pan, then stir in the cream. Cook for a few minutes, stirring, until the sauce thickens slightly.

Add the tortellini to the pan and tear in the spinach. Cook, stirring, for another minute or two, until everything is heated through and the spinach wilts. Serve in shallow bowls topped with Parmesan cheese. Serves 4-6.

pixel Tortellini with Mushrooms, Spinach and Italian Sausage
button print gry20 Tortellini with Mushrooms, Spinach and Italian Sausage

March 13 2012 04:49 pm | one dish and pasta

30 Responses to “Tortellini with Mushrooms, Spinach and Italian Sausage”

1. CathyH on 13 Mar 2012 at 5:04 pm #

Loooooove Italian food! I amy have to try this. I am making Chicken Parmesan tonight and may have to add my almost wilting spinach to it. Thanks again for the inspiration!

2. CathyH on 13 Mar 2012 at 5:05 pm #

That would be “MAY” have to try this. AMY is nowhere to be found……………

3. Kindra on 13 Mar 2012 at 7:15 pm #

This sounds absolutely freakin’ fantastic Julie!

4. Barb on 13 Mar 2012 at 7:43 pm #

This looks really good! Yum.

5. Cathy N on 13 Mar 2012 at 7:49 pm #

Oh yes! This is absolutely just what I like to cook and hubby Bill loves to eat… DONE — dinner tomorrow!

6. Laurie from Burnaby on 14 Mar 2012 at 3:14 pm #

I can’t eat pasta, but this looks great without it. Sort of sausage and spinach toss. I’ll have to try it

7. Sara {Home is Where the Cookies Are} on 15 Mar 2012 at 4:44 am #

Does everyone always end up with half-full (half empty?) cartons of almost wilted spinach in their fridge?? I totally always have that. And I still insist, when I buy it, on believing that THIS time we’ll eat it all.
    This looks fantastic!
    I also have an aversion to fennel, so your adaptation looks perfect to me!
    Thanks for your comment at Home is Where the Cookies Are! So nice to hear from you!

8. Emilovey on 16 Mar 2012 at 11:54 am #

I’m making this tonight and am incredibly excited. :)

9. JulieVR on 16 Mar 2012 at 12:00 pm #

Yay! I’m so excited for you!

10. tmk (tmk9268) | Pearltrees on 16 Mar 2012 at 5:39 pm #

[…] Tortellini with Mushrooms, Spinach and Italian Sausage – dinner with Julie — dinner with Juliedinn… 1/2 cup chicken stock or water […]

11. Annette on 19 Mar 2012 at 12:32 pm #

I think I will try this next week

12. Erin on 19 Mar 2012 at 6:32 pm #

I made it tonight and my whole family LOVED it!! And that’s a miracle!! Thank you!

13. Anonymous on 25 Mar 2012 at 4:43 am #

what pesto do i use? i will try this tomorrow night for dinner

14. JulieVR on 25 Mar 2012 at 9:04 am #

Any kind – basil, sun dried tomato – I used jarred basil pesto. Yum!

15. Daniela on 02 Apr 2012 at 7:16 pm #

Found your recipe on Foodgawker.com. Just made it and it was delicious! Fast, easy and family friendly. Everyone loved it. Thanks so much

16. SnoWhite @ Finding Joy in My Kitchen on 03 Apr 2012 at 5:28 pm #

We made this tonight, sans the pesto (allergies) and it was great! We added in red pepper and used our favorite white sauce (made with beans). Thanks for the recipe inspiration!

17. Erin on 19 Apr 2012 at 4:56 pm #

Having problems getting it thick with the cream? Suggestions??

18. Menu Plan Monday ~ Feb 18/13 + Easy Caramel Popcorn Recipe : I'm an Organizing Junkie on 18 Feb 2013 at 7:00 am #

[…] Saturday:  Tortellini with Mushrooms, Spinach and Italian Sausage […]

19. Menu Plan Monday ~ Feb 18/13 + Easy Caramel Popcorn Recipe | Top-Ranked Blog on 18 Feb 2013 at 5:30 pm #

[…] Saturday:  Tortellini with Mushrooms, Spinach and Italian Sausage […]

20. Charlie on 23 Feb 2013 at 7:28 am #

I have given up pasta and nuts for a while, so I added basil and parsley for the pesto. Then because we have been trying to expand our horizons I used mustard greens for the spinach. I covered it after adding the mushrooms so I left the stock out after cooking down the mushroom juice and added the cream. This dish was terrific. Thanks so much for the inspiration.

21. Julie on 24 Feb 2013 at 8:25 am #

Wow, that sounds fantastic! thank YOU for the inspiration!

22. Menu Plan Monday ~ Feb 25/13 : I'm an Organizing Junkie on 25 Feb 2013 at 7:00 am #

[…] Tortellini with Mushrooms, Spinach and Italian Sausage (missed from last […]

23. Menu Plan Monday ~ Feb 25/13 | Top-Ranked Blog on 25 Feb 2013 at 10:35 am #

24. menu plan monday: february 25 – march 3 | life alphabetical on 26 Feb 2013 at 9:37 am #

[…] asparagus, corn Thursday: Grilled Cheeseburger Wraps, oven-roasted potatoes, green beans Friday: Tortellini with Mushrooms, Spinach, and Italian Sausage, garden salad Saturday: Fiesta Chili Bake, raw veggies Sunday: Crock Pot Pesto Ranch Chicken […]

25. I can't wait until Easter when I can finally have a goat - Big Mama on 27 Feb 2013 at 10:37 pm #

[…] that to say that I’ve been looking for a few new recipes. And I found the link to this tortellini with spinach, Italian sausage and mushrooms recipe on Laura’s Organized Junkie weekly menu plan. And it was […]

26. Becky on 05 Mar 2013 at 4:16 pm #

Had this for dinner tonight (we skipped the mushrooms and used ground sausage)….it was delish! Thanks for the inspiration!

27. Melanie on 06 Mar 2013 at 7:52 pm #

Made this tonight. Left out mushrooms and fennel. Added red pepper. Excellent!

28. MJ on 20 Apr 2013 at 10:56 pm #

That looks amazing! Thank you for the recipe.

29. Kandi on 02 Aug 2013 at 5:46 am #

I pay a visit day-to-day some web pages and sites to read posts,
    but this web site offers feature based writing.

30. nike free run 2 sale on 23 Jul 2014 at 12:50 am #

I’ve been surfing on-line greater than three hours nowadays, yet I
    never discovered any fascinating article like yours.
    It is lovely worth sufficient for me. Personally, if all site owners and bloggers
    made just right content as you did, the web might
    be much more helpful than ever before.

Visit my webpage :: nike free run 2 sale