Irish Soda Bread

Irish soda bread 500x333 Irish Soda Bread

I know, I’m jumping on the bandwagon. But every year it’s the same: I forget how much I love Irish soda bread, those big, dense, rustic loaves that are really like enormous biscuits, only a bit tweedier with a light, crunchy crust. And I’m a sucker for all bread served in wedges.

Mixing Irish Soda bread 500x333 Irish Soda Bread

See? It’s like a big biscuit. You cut in the butter, or rub it with your fingers. Warm wedges make perfect vehicles for butter and jam in the morning, and when else can you get away with eating biscuits for dinner? I don’t know what all the hubbub over baguettes is about – soda bread is far easier on the teeth, and a wedge balances perfectly on the edge of a bowl of soup, stew or chili.

Irish soda bread 1 500x333 Irish Soda Bread

And takes very well to a handful of grated cheese, if you’re so inclined. Just sayin’.

Irish Soda Bread

adapted from Gifts from the Kitchen (Douglas & McIntyre)

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 Tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butter, chilled and cut into bits
1 1/2 cups buttermilk or plain yogurt, thinned with milk to the consistency of buttermilk

Preheat oven to 375F.

In a large bowl, stir together the flours, salt, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the butter and blend (or pulse the mixture in the food processor) until well combined and crumbly. If you like, add grated cheese, herbs, nuts or dried fruit at this point. Make a well in the middle of the flour mixture and add the buttermilk, stirring until blended.

Knead the dough until it comes together in one piece, then knead the ball 10 times. Place on a baking sheet or in a buttered 8″ or 9″ round cake pan.

Bake for 1 hour, or until golden and the bread sounds hollow when tapped. Cool on a wire rack.

Makes one loaf.

pixel Irish Soda Bread
button print gry20 Irish Soda Bread

March 15 2012 10:15 pm | bread and breakfast

6 Responses to “Irish Soda Bread”

1. Angie@Echoes of Laughter on 15 Mar 2012 at 10:40 pm #

Yum! It looks so good Julie! I feel a sudden urge to drive to Calgary! LOl! It was great meeting you last weekend! Angie xo

2. Priyanka on 16 Mar 2012 at 3:16 am #

This looks great….its yummy

3. Stephanie on 16 Mar 2012 at 11:43 am #

Every year I see so many people making this bread and I always tell myself I’m going to make it.. then forget about it!

Not this time. I copied, pasted, and printed this recipe and its in my to-do book waiting for me

4. molly on 16 Mar 2012 at 10:18 pm #

tweedier!!

LOVE that.

we’ll miss our usual corned beef/cabbage/parsnip feast tomorrow, but i do believe i can squeak in soda bread. merci!

5. meredith on 18 Mar 2012 at 6:46 am #

you are the best… I come back for your brownie bite recipe everytime I need it… and just yesterday I was saying to my husband I should have made soda bread ( his nanna did – she lived till 104 – wish I had her recipes ) anyway — not a shock, you have an soda bread recipe! thanks for making me smile and thanks for the great recipes… have good one!
    MK

6. Rosemary and Lavender Soda Bread | weyfairing on 01 Feb 2013 at 1:35 pm #

[…] I was planning on using kiss my spatula‚Äôs recipe, but ended up not having all the required ingredients. So I searched for another and landed upon this. […]