Quinoa Salad with Chickpeas, Feta and Apples

Quinoa salad w apples and feta Quinoa Salad with Chickpeas, Feta and Apples

I’m a little smitten with quinoa salads right now, y’all. Maybe that’s not new. I’ve always loved a good tumble of quinoa with black beans or chickpeas or sautéed leeks or kale. Usually with feta.

OK, so totally not new. This one though? Totally is. The same but different.

I know apples are out of season. Most everything is. But I’m starting to grow little green things in my kitchen – like sprouts and basil – and either would be fab torn and tossed into a quinoa salad. As green things begin to poke out of the ground, you can pluck them and toss them in. That’s the beauty of these beany, grainy salads – anything goes.

This is one I did awhile ago for Swerve, and I can’t get enough of it.

Quinoa Salad with Chickpeas, Feta and Apples

1 cup quinoa, rinsed in a fine sieve
1/4 cup golden or sultana raisins
1 19 oz. (540 mL) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
a big handful of flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1/2 cup crumbled feta (or as much as you want)
1 tart-ish apple, chopped
1/2 cup toasted walnuts or almonds

Dressing:
1/4 cup canola or olive oil
2 Tbsp. rice vinegar or lemon juice
1 tsp. honey
1/4 tsp. curry paste or powder

Cook 1 cup quinoa according to package directions (or there are directions here); dump into a wide salad bowl and set aside to cool. (Tip: add the raisins as it cools – the raisins will plump up as they absorb any excess moisture.) Add the chickpeas, parsley, feta and apple and drizzle with dressing. (To make the dressing: shake all the ingredients up in a jar.) Toss, then sprinkle with toasted walnuts or almonds right before serving.

Serves 4.

pixel Quinoa Salad with Chickpeas, Feta and Apples
button print gry20 Quinoa Salad with Chickpeas, Feta and Apples

March 21 2012 04:35 pm | grains and salads and vegetarian

25 Responses to “Quinoa Salad with Chickpeas, Feta and Apples”

1. Fiona on 21 Mar 2012 at 4:50 pm #

I wish I wasn’t putting my whole kitchen in a storage unit in my driveway this weekend, or I’d go buy some quinoa and make a huge batch of this. It looks delicious.

2. stacey snacks on 21 Mar 2012 at 5:41 pm #

I am also mildly obsessed with quinoa lately.

I posted a great salad today also using black quinoa and greens. Yum!

3. Barb on 21 Mar 2012 at 6:16 pm #

This looks yummy. And a great idea to add the fresh sprouts!

4. Vicky on 22 Mar 2012 at 7:23 am #

Sounds delicious. After learning about all the health benefits of quinoa I’ve been on the look out for new recipes!

5. stacey desnoyers on 22 Mar 2012 at 10:15 am #

YUM!!!!

I am travelling this week, and am in “good food” withdrawl. So far, Montreal hasn’t been the food paradise I was hoping for! Home tomorrow, and making this for sure! yum!!!!

6. Melody Madden on 22 Mar 2012 at 1:23 pm #

This looks incredibly yummy. I’ve been cooking with wheat berries lately and have come to love their flavour. I think I could love quinoa just as much. I will start with this recipe.

7. SamiJoe on 22 Mar 2012 at 8:22 pm #

I LOVE Quinoa. I’ve been very happy that Costco carries it in a big bag!!

8. Anita on 23 Mar 2012 at 8:52 pm #

Thanks for posting this! I made the salad for lunch today and it was super tasty, couldn’t stop eating it. I really like how many options/possibilities there are for what to put in it.

9. molly on 25 Mar 2012 at 10:54 am #

oh yum. YUM YUM YUM. back from a long trip yum. NEED GRAINS AND BEANS NOW yum. quinoa, here i come…

10. Baking Serendipity on 25 Mar 2012 at 10:00 pm #

I’m totally smitten with quinoa salads too. And I love the apples in this one!

11. Ashley on 27 Mar 2012 at 2:07 pm #

This sounds amazing!

12. Patricia on 07 May 2012 at 8:33 am #

Delicious, I had Quinoa Salad for the first time yesterday in which my granddaughter made. I am going to make now for this weekend.

13. Wendy on 22 May 2012 at 11:17 am #

This salad was pretty close to a life saver for us recently, we had made a big batch to take with us on a road trip, and ended up in some pretty dodgy places when our van broke down (4 times!) in the mountains. Quinoa salad on the side of the highway, quinoa salad for supper in Merritt, quinoa salad for lunch and supper in Kamloops…. it was yummy every time!

14. 101 Salad Recipes for SummerFood – Construed on 21 Jun 2012 at 8:11 pm #

[…] Quinoa Salad with Chickpeas, Feta and Apples – Dinner with Julie […]

15. Dianne Joyce on 30 Aug 2012 at 11:46 am #

I made this salad last night for company. Today I’m passing it on. And, there was enough left over for today’s meal. Wow, and again, wow. It’s fabulous!

16. Karina on 04 Oct 2012 at 11:19 am #

I made this salad for a neighbourhood potluck dinner last night. It got rave reviews! I almost ate the whole thing before taking it to the dinner. So yummy!
    I have also made it with lentils instead of the chickpeas – also great. New favourite salad recipe. thanks!

17. Deb on 15 Oct 2012 at 6:09 pm #

I used cranberries instead of raisins and added some sugar snap peas. Nice color combo. So delicious! Good thing I made a double batch or it might be all gone before my family gets home for dinner!

18. quinoa salad, one of the many delicious ways to eat quinoa | hotnsteamyfoods on 01 Jan 2013 at 6:13 pm #

[…] Courtesy of http://dinnerwithjulie.com/2012/03/21/quinoa-salad-chickpeas-feta-apples/ […]

19. Do You Need Quinoa Recipes in Your Diet? Find out Why You Do - Society of Revellers on 27 Jan 2013 at 6:34 am #

[…] Check out this quinoa recipe here […]

20. sharon on 05 Feb 2013 at 10:13 am #

My tastebuds may be a little under-developed but it needed a little something for me! I thew in a little balsamic vinegar and maple syrup. Yummy!

21. Valerie on 30 Jul 2013 at 10:01 am #

Just tried this salad for lunch. LOVE! Will be making it again for sure!

22. Anonymous on 28 Oct 2013 at 2:04 pm #

Q

23. saima on 02 Dec 2013 at 3:24 pm #

Loved it!!! I will try same technique using a barley mix!
    New to your site. This is the first I found and first I tried! That vinegrete I could drink it!

24. Abby on 04 Feb 2014 at 6:12 pm #

Made this tonight. My husband and I loved it!! Thank you for such a great recipe!

25. Top 4 gluten free lunches - nzgirl on 08 Oct 2014 at 1:47 am #

[…] With crunchy apples and walnuts plus the tangy feta, this salad is a really yummy combination of tastes and textures. Find the recipe here. […]