Baked Eggs

baked eggs 1 text Baked Eggs

I eat lunch at my desk a lot. The commute from my kitchen may seem perfectly suited to lunching on big quinoa salads (always my plan, rarely reality) and freshly cooked this or that. Mostly I wind up eating toast. It’s really an enjoyable spot to eat – with Twitter on and this view out the window, it’s almost like being on a park bench. Kinda. Except for all the papers.

apple tree Baked Eggs

Eggs are popular, with the aforementioned toast or quickly sautéed greens or draped over leftovers. I ran out of gumption to poach eggs sometime about two weeks ago, and one day decided to bake some instead. I didn’t want to coddle them. You know, that wouldn’t do them any favours.

speckled egg Baked Eggs

I cracked two into a ramekin, poured over a spoonful of half & half, salted, peppered, and sprinkled with Parmesan. Baked at 350F for 15 minutes. (This is how the first few went: at 10 far from done; 20 cooked hard, but delicious with ketchup. Aim for somewhere in the middle.)

baked eggs 2 Baked Eggs

On this particular day I roasted some cauliflower, and slid a ramekin into the oven alongside to take advantage of that heat. A couple baked eggs require just a few square inches, and can be popped into the oven alongside just about anything. And they can be cracked over a spoonful of leftovers – meat or veggies or greens or a little nest of mashed potatoes – in the bottom of the ramekin to make things interesting.

How do you like your eggs?

pixel Baked Eggs
button print gry20 Baked Eggs

May 18 2012 07:22 am | breakfast and eggs

22 Responses to “Baked Eggs”

1. Lana on 18 May 2012 at 7:34 am #

I love eggs! Soft-boiled with butter and s&p in a bowl, hard-boiled in my lunch, egg salad sandwiches, over-easy with bacon, poached on toast for supper, on top of that kale/bread crumb pasta you posted about a little while ago which I made and loved.. the list goes on… oh! devilled, scrambled with cream cheese and fresh chives…
    Sorry! You asked!

2. anon on 18 May 2012 at 8:00 am #

Had one truffled the other day – in a bowl of asparagus and sweet pea soup – never would have thought of it myself but it was so good.

3. CathyH on 18 May 2012 at 8:10 am #

My Dad used to be a great breakfast cook. He would make us a “one eye”. French toast, with a hole cut out of the bread and an egg popped in the middle. Fry it like a regular french toast, making sure that egg in the middle stays runny. I love eggs any way, any time, especially in a benedict!

4. Anonymous on 18 May 2012 at 11:34 am #

I must admit that Eggs Benny are my favorite too especially with smoked salmon. Now if I could only learn to make true poached eggs instead of having to resort to the “Poacher for Dummies” I’d be fine. Happily, Hollandaise covers them and hides my shame. Actually, lately, eggs in any guise are my go to meal as I have again found a REAL farm, fresh, free range (grass and bugs) source of eggs!

5. Sue. D on 18 May 2012 at 12:21 pm #

Never met an egg I didn’t like. Love them on top of other things (like fried rice or lamb burgers) – also love them poached on buttered grainy toast, scrambled with spinach and cheese, softly scrambled with just a bit of butter. And I love them baked – thanks for the reminder!

That brown egg you’re holding would make very nice wallpaper…

6. Nicole on 18 May 2012 at 2:50 pm #

Scrambled, with cheese, ONLY. I don’t really eat many eggs. But I do love that roasted cauliflower!

7. Kathy on 18 May 2012 at 2:58 pm #

I kind of “baste” them in the frying pan with a little water until the yolks have a thin coating of white over them. Often times overcooked for me (I like the yolks a little runny) b/c hubby likes the yolks cooked hard.

8. Kathy on 18 May 2012 at 3:00 pm #

Just to clarify: it’s not really basting in the sense of basting a turkey though, just putting a little water in the pan and covering it with a lid.

9. Erica B. on 18 May 2012 at 4:59 pm #

Deviled eggs at Easter, egg salad sandwiches(the best one I’ve ever had was at Lazy Loaf & Kettle), scrambled, or in french toast…in a tortilla, frittata or quiche. I like eggs any way they come. :)

10. Barb on 18 May 2012 at 5:53 pm #

Almost anyway. Raw doesn’t appeal to me however. I had two lightly beaten and stirred into my freshly drained spagetti last night. Is that Spagetti Carbonera? Also a nice way to serve them.

11. Carolyn on 18 May 2012 at 7:35 pm #

I used to never eat eggs, but thanks to my daughter who has them almost every day for breakfast, I’ve come to love them – poached, hard boiled and our latest favourite – quiche in a mug.

12. Jen on 19 May 2012 at 11:06 am #

I think that’s a great idea, and does it ever look delish. Can’t wait to give it a try one day.
    Soon!

Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

13. Lori on 19 May 2012 at 12:05 pm #

I love eggs. I start each day with a hard boiled egg. It tames the 2:30 craving for chips.

14. Sandy Blaxland on 19 May 2012 at 4:41 pm #

Baked eggs and roasted cauliflower sounds delicious. I like your recipe.

15. Jen on 19 May 2012 at 4:57 pm #

When we go camping, I often bake eggs on our BBQ In foil muffin tins from the dollar store. Easy peasy and no mess!

16. molly on 19 May 2012 at 9:10 pm #

i have yet to bake eggs.
    i’m pretty sure that’s a crime.

17. Crystal @ A Lovin' Forkful on 20 May 2012 at 1:41 am #

Wow! I am so loving the eggs and roasted cauliflower combo. This really seems like a great match up. Thanks for sharing!

18. rea on 20 May 2012 at 4:16 pm #

love eggs but the cream? cannot do it. i seem to have fluffed up this winter and it’s brown rice and vegies, small bits of protein over here.

19. Melody Madden on 21 May 2012 at 7:47 pm #

Surely making that my lunch tomorrow .. Love eggs and those look delicious

20. Laurie from Burnaby on 22 May 2012 at 2:55 pm #

I love eggs, any way but raw. I like them poached, and in Bennies (any kind of Bennie, with salmon, or ham, or spinach)I like them hardboiled and made into egg sandwiches or sliced over a salad, slightly softer and sliced or eaten in your hand, or made into devilled eggs, and fried eggs with creamed corn or baked beans. Then there’s all the ham dishes and bacon dishes, and omelettes and fritatas. And custards, and quiches – I just love eggs. And I’ve found a place that sells farm fresh eggs with dark yolks and a completely different taste from store bought eggs. I wish I could still get duck eggs, they’re great. Plus I love your eggs dishes and usually cook them because they remind me of somethings I don’t usually think of. Just love em!!1

21. Laurie from Burnaby on 22 May 2012 at 2:55 pm #

I love eggs, any way but raw. I like them poached, and in Bennies (any kind of Bennie, with salmon, or ham, or spinach)I like them hardboiled and made into egg sandwiches or sliced over a salad, slightly softer and sliced or eaten in your hand, or made into devilled eggs, and fried eggs with creamed corn or baked beans. Then there’s all the ham dishes and bacon dishes, and omelettes and fritatas. And custards, and quiches – I just love eggs. And I’ve found a place that sells farm fresh eggs with dark yolks and a completely different taste from store bought eggs. I wish I could still get duck eggs, they’re great. Plus I love your eggs dishes and usually cook them because they remind me of somethings I don’t usually think of. Just love em!! :)

22. Heather on 24 May 2012 at 6:27 pm #

I like my eggs fried (or poached) the way my mom does them. I don’t know how or why but she makes the best eggs. I can’t cook eggs anymore; I can’t stomach the smell of them. But I might try baked – maybe they won’t smell so badly that way.