A Saturday Peroghy Bee

peroghy bee 11 A Saturday Peroghy Bee

We had a bee! They came (to my house)! They saw (the piles of stuff and fingerprints on the walls)! They made peroghies!

(Aside: I’ve been fighting with my computer all night. Working on it is much like wading through tar -yes, I’ve done it before; another story for another time- with various programs deciding to quit on me or not work at all at the most inopportune moments. And so while I have it up I’m going to type fast, and let the pictures do the talking. Each one is worth a thousand words, right?)

apple blossom A Saturday Peroghy Bee

My attempt at a mini bouquet – the only branch of apple blossoms I could reach, and a sprig of Italian parsley, in a jar. I did not inherit my mom’s flower arranging skills.

strawberry white chocolate scones 2 A Saturday Peroghy Bee

I made strawberry-white chocolate scones. This wasn’t planned, but I happened to have strawberries and white chocolate in the house. See what happens when you McGyver your way to breakfast?

(Also? Barb brought blueberry crumb muffins, but they went so fast I found myself eating the crumbs from the bottom of the bowl before I managed to grab my camera.)

peroghy dough crumbs A Saturday Peroghy Bee
peroghy bee 51 585x353 A Saturday Peroghy Bee
peroghy bee 71 A Saturday Peroghy Bee

We used the dough recipe from Cheryl’s baba – and yes, from about a hundred thousand other babas – it’s lumpy and ugly, then soft and smooth -and oh-so-satisfying to knead and roll with its residual warmth from the steaming water.

peroghy bee 61 A Saturday Peroghy Bee

We had little helpers. Love the dough rolling stance. Good leverage.

peroghy bee 31 A Saturday Peroghy Bee
peroghy bee 41 A Saturday Peroghy Bee

We had lots of fillings: potato-cheddar, caramelized onion-potato-smoked Gouda, dry cottage cheese and fresh dill, last summer’s frozen plums tossed with sugar.

plum peroghies A Saturday Peroghy Bee
peroghy bee 21 A Saturday Peroghy Bee

Many hands make light work… and cramped fingers? I was on dough duty – we counted 7 batches. (That’s 35 cups of flour. Thirty-five!)

Peroghies A Saturday Peroghy Bee

Our final tally? 350+ peroghies in six flavours. Those crimped edges there? Made by hands that had never made a peroghy before. For real. See what a crash course in peroghy making will do?

peroghy bee 81 A Saturday Peroghy Bee

So awesome. Thanks for coming, everyone! And those who couldn’t: next time!

Cheryl’s Baba’s Pyrohy Dough

from her Baba’s kitchen, and Backseat Gourmet

5 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup canola oil
1 large egg
2 cups recently boiled (very hot) water

In a large bowl mix together the flour and salt.

Whisk the oil and egg together in a measuring cup; add to the flour and stir until you have a coarse meal, like biscuit dough before you add the liquid.

Add the water all at once and immediately stir – it will look lumpy and ugly and as if there isn’t enough moisture to go around. Keep at it – I recommend getting in there with your hands – and the dough will come together. Let it sit for 15 minutes, or preferably 30. (We did not always do this, as we kept running out of dough!) Makes lots of peroghies.

pixel A Saturday Peroghy Bee
button print gry20 A Saturday Peroghy Bee

May 21 2012 11:28 pm | freezable and vegetarian

21 Responses to “A Saturday Peroghy Bee”

1. CathyH on 22 May 2012 at 7:52 am #

Beautiful!! So sorry I missed it. Next time…….

2. Margaret on 22 May 2012 at 8:13 am #

Hi Julie,

Your clan is ‘gifted’with dough! I’m jealous of the contents of your freezer.

. . . and you’re looking even more outstanding these days – an inspiration to be healthier.

M

3. Jan @ Family Bites on 22 May 2012 at 9:10 am #

Oh I wish I lived closer! That’s my kind of Saturday afternoon fun…

4. CanadyAnna on 22 May 2012 at 10:39 am #

Heck, “shoulda…coulda…woulda” – but didn’t think I’d come in for it because I can’t eat potatoes anymore…but hey, never thought of cottage cheese and dill, which I COULD do, or the fruit-y variation. Why that would be just the thing now that my rhubarb is already big enough for picking (first rhubarb dessert for craft day at the ranch yesterday!)

5. Leah on 22 May 2012 at 11:32 am #

Those look perfect! When you posted your blueberry stuffed ones, my gf and I were on it IMMEDIATELY! We meet up and made 3 batches within the week, and I’m so glad I did. They are a bit tedious until you get the groove going, but so delicious!! I will do them again, soon, because of all the gourmet flavours out there. Why stick to mashed potato when you can have brie and asparagus, or Plum for that matter! (My mom made plum when we were kids, I’m afraid to try it and tarnish those memories). Thank you for your inspiration Julie!

6. Lana on 22 May 2012 at 12:30 pm #

Those are real little things of beauty! GORGEOUS crimped edges.
    I think I have to organize one of these at my house. I a big kitchen and can bring up an extra table from the basement…and the thought of rhubarb….YUM!

7. Cheryl F. on 22 May 2012 at 1:30 pm #

They look beautiful and you are looking amazing!

8. JulieVR on 22 May 2012 at 1:59 pm #

Sigh. You guys are very sweet! But that’s not me, it’s Melanie! And her daughter behind her. She is fantastic looking, isn’t she?

9. Aga on 22 May 2012 at 2:38 pm #

Such a fun afternoon! Thank you so much for organizing and hosting.

10. Vivian on 22 May 2012 at 3:11 pm #

What fun you guys had! Just a few questions: how thick do you roll the dough? What sized cutter for the dough rounds? How much filling? and finally, do you need to wet the edges when sealing and crimping? Really nice rolled edges there! I am inspired.

11. Barb on 22 May 2012 at 5:32 pm #

That sounds like soooo much fun! I wish….

12. Jocelyn on 22 May 2012 at 7:00 pm #

Aww. This is so super brilliant. I have two peroghy makers (think: 80′s infomercial) that make light work of all the pinching, filling and rolling. Enjoy your treats!

13. Misty on 22 May 2012 at 7:07 pm #

Thanks again for hosting and inviting us into your home! Max and I had a wonderful time! I posted about it as well today with a link to your page.

14. Melanie on 22 May 2012 at 8:58 pm #

OMG!!! I am on your blog!!! Ha! I’m going to have to post that on my Facebook page! Thank you, thank you, thank you again for having us over! My kids had a great time – even the littlest cranky pants – and the middle one talked about the big boys the rest of the day. The teeny bopper even chatted about it (you know, casually, and rolling her eyes as she talked dough with my mom)… You are such a gracious hostess! Best I know!

15. Melanie on 22 May 2012 at 9:04 pm #

More pictures of your lovely event:

16. Betty C on 23 May 2012 at 12:33 pm #

So sorry I missed it too – unexpected change of plans. I was so looking forward to learning how, as I have never made them….maybe next time.

17. Erica B. on 23 May 2012 at 8:50 pm #

Sorry I missed the peroghy bee. Looks like lots of fun–next time for sure!

18. Cheryl on 28 May 2012 at 9:37 pm #

So, so sad I missed this. We must do it again come fall!

19. Fran on 01 Jun 2012 at 10:49 pm #

Julie, if I’d only been around to read your blog re the “Peroghy Bee”, I would have been there with bells on!! Had a great time at your Christmas Cookie Exchange, I bet this was a great time had by all also. Will give the blueberry ones a try and I recall someone mentioned topping with vanilla yogurt … Nummy! Till your next gathering.

20. Tatiana on 25 Jun 2012 at 7:46 pm #

It was interesting for me to learn when I moved to the US from Moscow, that you call this dish “pirogi” when we in Russia (and Ukraine) call this dish “vareniki”. Pirogi are the yeast dough pies, that can be stuffed with apples, cabbage and eggs, rice and meat etc and baked in the oven.

21. UkrainiYum! on 28 Nov 2012 at 8:44 am #

I’ve never seen the crimped pinching. It looked lovely. Do you have a recipe for your plum filling on your blog?
    I used an interesting egg and green onion filling from Savella Stechishin’s cookbook recently: http://eleanorstadnyk.blogspot.ca/2012/11/simply-best.html