How to Make Tzatziki

For years I’ve wanted to have a kitchen cam. I thought back when cams were new and exciting that I might plug one in somewhere by my stove, or strap one to my head headlamp-style whilst making dinner, so that you could all see that much better what I was taking about. “Learn how to edit video” has been on my to-do list for approximately 4 years, and I’ve still not done it. Although I’m sure if I asked any 10 year old in my neighbourhood, they could show me.

Gabrielle of Design Mom and her family of eight (!!) recently launched a new series called Olive Us, and I adore it. They aren’t all food-related, but this one is, and I thought you might love it too.

(Aside: I don’t watch cooking shows on TV much anymore, since they don’t seem to actually cook so much as have wars, competitions, makeovers, and stress out over who’s dinner party or batch of cupcakes is a disaster or success. There’s no crying in cooking! Food is supposed to soothe, nourish and connect us, not intimidate and pit us against each other – don’t you think? I like this message better. Can’t we all just get along – over a bowl of tzatziki?)

pixel How to Make Tzatziki
button print gry20 How to Make Tzatziki

May 24 2012 11:47 pm | leftovers

12 Responses to “How to Make Tzatziki”

1. Carolyn on 25 May 2012 at 5:52 am #

I completely agree about your comments about cooking shows. I’m tired of the drama and just want real food. Luckily blogs (like yours :) ) still exist! There are very few instructional shows on (especially during prime-time). I love that the Food Network has put Anna Olsen back on with a very instructional show on baking – I wish there were more.

2. Lori E on 25 May 2012 at 10:25 am #

I also agree with you about the cooking shows. They no longer inspire me to cook.

3. Steph McVox on 25 May 2012 at 10:37 am #

What a delightful little (and informative) video to watch!

4. Erin B on 25 May 2012 at 12:39 pm #

Julie, you are my hero. I completely agree… what would be the point of comfort food if food were to stress you out

5. Meta4 on 25 May 2012 at 12:45 pm #

Hurray for Julie!!! I agree!!!
    I don’t watch cooking shows any more. Too many crazy ingredients, cupcake bakers with giant hair styles of long hair that’s not tied up or a scarf around it.
    All I can think about when watching the “hair show” is. How many cupcakes with hair in/on them.
    Also, who can make a 5 course gourmet dinner with fancy garnishes in under 1 hour???

6. Barb on 25 May 2012 at 5:50 pm #

Count my vote as a nix against the competition shows as well. I don’t care for them either. I still do watch an occassional individual cooking something – Michael Smith, Anna Olson, someone like that. This Olive Us was adorable! A great way to get the kids interested in cooking.

7. Kira on 25 May 2012 at 8:04 pm #

Your post today did make me reflect on why I don’t watch the food network anymore. And I think I’m in your camp. Cooking is therapeutic for me. Martha Stewart was onto something when she filmed her cooking segments through a filtered lens.

8. Erin K. on 26 May 2012 at 8:43 pm #

Amen lady!!! I have had to start to PVR early morning food network as it seems that the primetime is all full of people cooking things that nobody would ever need to know how to cook and fighting! Where have nigella, ina, and jamie gone?!

9. Laurie from Burnaby on 27 May 2012 at 9:35 am #

Amen to that! I loved watching your show. I miss the cooking shows. I’m tired of all of the competitive shows and just don’t watch them. Where’s Emeril? I still see Ina and Paula Deen, but what about Laura Calder?

10. Jan @ Family Bites on 27 May 2012 at 1:21 pm #

Yay..so glad you featured this!

11. rea on 27 May 2012 at 9:17 pm #

julie, you can sign up for a free workshop on imovies at the apple store in market mall or chinook centre. did i mention it was free?

12. Sandy on 28 May 2012 at 10:26 am #

Insightful, Julie! That’s why I seldom watch the Food Network anymore – just hadn’t realized that was the reason I had lost interest.