Veggie Pakoras with Rhubarb Chutney

Pakoras rhubarb chutney 7 Veggie Pakoras with Rhubarb Chutney

pakoras rhubarb chutney 1 Veggie Pakoras with Rhubarb Chutney

I don’t very often point people toward mixes, but I have yet to make a pakora from scratch that I’m really happy with. Not that I’ve devoted much time to it, mind you, but I don’t really have to since discovering Chatty’s, a pakora mix made in Saskatchewan.

Pakoras rhubarb chutney 5 Veggie Pakoras with Rhubarb Chutney
Pakoras rhubarb chutney 6 Veggie Pakoras with Rhubarb Chutney
Pakoras rhubarb chutney 4 Veggie Pakoras with Rhubarb Chutney

You chop or grate onions, potatoes, cabbage, cauliflower, or whatever veggie you want to turn into a pakora, and mix it into the chickpea flour-based batter and fry them up, to serve as transport for homemade rhubarb chutney.

Rhubarb chutney 1 Veggie Pakoras with Rhubarb Chutney

Marisa of Food in Jars has a new book, and it arrived on my doorstep last week. I have a backlog of new cookbooks piled beside by bed, unopened (a good problem to have, I realize), but this one I cracked immediately once Saturday morning arrived, and practically read cover to cover. I love all jar food: preserves and jams and pickles and chutneys – I love it all, and I love making it. I picked one to make on the weekend, and wanted to have a go at the rhubarb in my back yard – not that there’s anything wrong with pie, but tart rhubarb is a perfect candidate for sweet, vinegary chutney. Delish with cheese, or eaten by the spoonful. Or spooned over a warm pakora.

Pakoras rhubarb chutney 1 Veggie Pakoras with Rhubarb Chutney

pixel Veggie Pakoras with Rhubarb Chutney
button print gry20 Veggie Pakoras with Rhubarb Chutney

June 27 2012 09:58 pm | appetizers and preserves

13 Responses to “Veggie Pakoras with Rhubarb Chutney”

1. margo on 27 Jun 2012 at 11:08 pm #

Wow, those (both) look amazing! But, the real reason I comment is my son and his wife are visiting Tofino for the first time soon, and I know Julie and many a reader of this blog are experienced with the Where-to-eat (or get a great coffee) in Tofino.
    Any recommendations?

2. JulieVR on 28 Jun 2012 at 7:23 am #

Yes! Tofino Coffee Co – in the Industrial Park – there is a sign on the main road, turn off and then turn right into the first little parking lot. http://dinnerwithjulie.com/2011/08/01/tofino-coffee/ Red Can Gourmet is in there as well! http://redcangourmet.com/

3. Rachel on 28 Jun 2012 at 7:40 am #

Mmm…we call these bhaji (Southern India). Never tried them with rhubarb chutney, though!

4. JulieVR on 28 Jun 2012 at 8:00 am #

And Cafe Vincente on the man drag (beside the bookstore) and the Wick has a great coffee shop – both with free wireless too!

5. Aruna on 29 Jun 2012 at 7:17 am #

The batter for pakora is very easy –

1 1/2 c besan (chickpea flour)
    pinch baking soda
    turmeric
    red chili powder
    salt
    cumin seeds
    1 c water
    chopped cilantro (optional)

I usually don’t measure the spices but I would guess about a heaping tsp of each.

6. JulieVR on 29 Jun 2012 at 8:27 am #

Awesome, thanks! I was hoping someone would offer up their own recipe! I’m going to give them a try!

7. JulieVR on 29 Jun 2012 at 8:29 am #

Oh I missed the eat part! Go to Tacofino for SURE (in the parking lot on the right on the way in to town – we call it the Tofino mall!) – also there: the Wildside Grill (also a must – http://www.wildsidegrill.com/) and Chocolate Tofino, where they make their own ice cream and waffle cones! Also recommend Shelter and SoBo for places to eat in. Enjoy!!

8. Steph McVox on 29 Jun 2012 at 6:14 pm #

I recently made the chutney from your own site (in the pork tenderloin post) and it is my favourite chutney!! I don’t even want to try making another another one, though I do like the Food In Jars site and made her rhubarb vanilla jam – delish!

9. Laurie from Burnaby on 29 Jun 2012 at 6:43 pm #

Thanks for the recipe, Aruna.I’ve wanted to use my chickpea flour.
    Margo, also try the food truck. It’s delicious!
    Julie, I really like these. Pakoras are one of my delights. :)

10. margo on 29 Jun 2012 at 7:12 pm #

Thanks so much for highlighting the Tofino spots-to-go; I’d passed on the coffee ones, and now will pass on the eateries! I only wish I could go along… but I did put in a request for a pound of that coffee. : )

11. Jess on 01 Jul 2012 at 4:21 pm #

Hi! I know I’m really more of a quiet follower but I wanted to let you know that I really enjoy your blog, and just nominated you for a Versatile Blogger Award over on mine! http://floptimism.blogspot.com/2012/07/paying-it-forward-with-versatile.html

12. Jen @ Savory Simple on 02 Jul 2012 at 1:46 pm #

These look so good! Rhubarb chutney sounds like a perfect compliment.

13. Jennifer on 13 Jul 2012 at 2:45 pm #

I am dying to make these, but where to find either pakora mix or chickpea flour in Calgary? We live in Marda Loop area. Thanks!