Rhubarb Creamsicles

Rhubarb Creamsicle 1 Rhubarb Creamsicles

I’ve written this post twice, and twice my computer has deemed it unreadable and ditched it on my behalf. And I didn’t even confess anything.

Did anyone see where June went? Because I think I may have blinked and missed it. I know it must be July, because this happened:

Screen Shot 2012 07 02 at 9.54.47 PM 585x585 Rhubarb Creamsicles

There was a big back yard with a barbecue loaded with cedar planked salmon (caught off the west coast, in Bamfield) and tubs full of beer and boys sitting on the garage roof hurling water balloons at each other, and clusters of girls in cutoffs and flip-flops, walking huddled from yard to park to street corner, whispering. And a dads vs kids soccer game across the street.

photo 585x585 Rhubarb Creamsicles

Ah, to be ten and on my first few days of summer holidays.

These popsicles weren’t from this weekend, they were a few weeks back, at Sunshine Farm in Kelowna, where we ate wood-fired pizza for lunch at a long table, and afterward they brought out rhubarb creamsicles, made with cream and rhubarb from the back garden. They were about as summery as you can get, eaten out in the grass, and I imagined making them for our Canada Day festivities, but didn’t get around to it. It’s the thought that counts, right?

Rhubarb creamsicle 2 Rhubarb Creamsicles

I did something similar last year, and made notes but never posted. (Looking at my dashboard, I have over 400 unposted drafts… and I wonder why I hardly get anything done.) I have grand plans to make them again, and they look very much like our Sunshine Farm rhubarb creamsicles. You could, of course, make creamsicles out of any soft fruit, or add strawberries to your rhubarb, or simmer berries or peaches or plums. If you can stew it, you can freeze it. Preferably with cream.

Rhubarb Creamsicles

2-3 big stalks of rhubarb, chopped
1/2-3/4 cup sugar (or to taste)
1 cup plain yogurt
1 cup cream

In a small pot, simmer the rhubarb, half the sugar and 1/4 cup of water until the mixture cooks down and thickens. Put it into the fridge to chill.

Whisk together the yogurt, cream and remaining sugar. If you like, spike it with vanilla. Pour both mixtures into your popsicle moulds, alternating them to make them a bit swirly, then freeze until solid.

pixel Rhubarb Creamsicles
button print gry20 Rhubarb Creamsicles

July 02 2012 11:11 pm | eating out and freezable

10 Responses to “Rhubarb Creamsicles”

1. sara on 03 Jul 2012 at 8:32 am #

Mmmm, these look so good!! We recently uncovered some popsicle molds after moving…may have to try these! :)

2. Carolyn on 03 Jul 2012 at 10:54 am #

Oh my…. these look so good. If there’s rhubarb left in my garden when I get home (currently boiling hot in Europe), I’m making these. Rhubarb-Raspberry is my favourite combo, so I may try this as a variation.

3. Fiona on 03 Jul 2012 at 1:33 pm #

I bet those would be really good with some crumble topping (baked, I mean) stirred in, too.

4. Flor on 04 Jul 2012 at 7:01 am #

Hermosas recetas, gracias por compartirlas.
    Saludos desde Buenos Aires…

5. Lesli on 04 Jul 2012 at 10:02 am #

another cool idea for rhubarb – thank goodness – I always have an abundance of rhubarb

6. suchalab on 05 Jul 2012 at 2:21 pm #

Looks great and I am going to try these with our own rhubarb, just wondering when you say cream, does it matter which I use? Whipping, table, half & half?

7. Barb on 05 Jul 2012 at 5:35 pm #

Oooo Good idea. Too bad I gave my popsicle mould away. I’ll have to come up with a plan “B”

8. Jess on 06 Jul 2012 at 8:06 am #

Are you serious with these?? I cannot WAIT to try them. On the shopping list for this weekend: popsicle moulds! Also, 400 drafts?! I think that’s why you *do* get stuff done around here… That is totally, totally amazing and unfathomable to this one-post-at-a-time blogger…

9. Mona Johannson on 21 Jul 2012 at 9:57 am #

I am the Chef at Sunshine farm and let me start by saying it was a pleasure to host the food writers group and I am very pleased that the creamsicles were such a big hit. I do feel however, that I have to mention that this recipe is not the one used that day and for those who are planning on making these there may be some disappointment in the finished product. Although these may still be good if you are looking for something that matches the picture it was quite a bit more complicated than this recipe. Happy to share if envy one wants :)

10. H-woman on 22 Aug 2012 at 11:31 pm #

Oh. My. Goodness! I made these today (used some frozen rhubarb and dome strawberries that had seen better days). YUMMY!

Definitely will make these in various forms again!