Apple Blueberry Crumble

apple blueberry crumble 4 Apple Blueberry Crumble

I made a crumble. There were apples in the house, and blueberries, and so it was an apple-blueberry crumble. Although I wouldn’t have sought them out, the two made a mighty swell pair.

apple blueberry crumble 2 Apple Blueberry Crumble

This is how I make a crumble: stir a spoonful of flour into about a quarter or half cup of sugar and toss a bowlful of chopped fruit and berries with it (you don’t need much), and fill a baking dish with it.

apple blueberry crumble 3 Apple Blueberry Crumble

Then blend flour, brown sugar and butter – maybe with some oats and/or sliced almonds and/or chopped walnuts – in the food processor to make it easy. The mixture should hold together when you squeeze it; the ratio is about 1 part butter to 2 parts sugar to 3 parts flour, give or take, plus a handful of oats and/or nuts if you’re so inclined. (Disregard W’s cookie dough scraps.)

apple blueberry crumble 1 Apple Blueberry Crumble

I like a high crumble-to-fruit ratio. Keep in mind that it will all shrink down on itself, so you can really load on both the fruit and crumble. I squeeze it as I scatter it overtop, making big clumpy lumps.

apple blueberry crumble 6 Apple Blueberry Crumble

I also like a shallow dish, which makes for more surface area. (Read: more crumble.)

apple blueberry crumble 5 Apple Blueberry Crumble

Bake it until the juices start to bubble around the edges and the top is golden, like a big crumbly cookie. In summer, a fruit crumble topped with plain or vanilla yogurt makes a mighty fine breakfast. Just sayin’.

pixel Apple Blueberry Crumble
button print gry20 Apple Blueberry Crumble

July 20 2012 08:26 pm | dessert

14 Responses to “Apple Blueberry Crumble”

1. Barb on 20 Jul 2012 at 9:28 pm #

Yum! The saskatoons are ripening as we speak. Perfect!

2. Theresa on 21 Jul 2012 at 5:54 am #

I over bought on peaches……. Browned butter bliss for dessert last night! Rave reviews! Thanks Julie!

3. Sue/the view from great island on 21 Jul 2012 at 11:01 am #

I love the blues and greens of this, and it’s a great idea for stretching that one pint of blueberries into a luscious dessert, thanks!

4. Manon from Ontario on 22 Jul 2012 at 10:32 am #

YUM, thanks Julie, have lots of blueberries and ripe apples…guess what I will be making tonight, just gonna sub the brown sugar for maple sugar :p

Thanks for sharing.

MFO

5. Laurie from Burnaby on 23 Jul 2012 at 9:53 am #

I’m making a strawberry crumble tonight. This looks wonderful, too. I’ll have to do it

6. Sandy on 23 Jul 2012 at 5:32 pm #

We had this for dessert last night and it was very yummy! I didn’t have any Granny Smith apples, but it worked fine with Fuji’s. Will be making this often – thanks for another winner, Julie.

7. Anna on 24 Jul 2012 at 5:37 am #

This looks so beautiful! There really is no better breakfast than crumble. I made an utterly awful crumble tart for my family last week. I didn’t know this was possible but I somehow managed it! I’m going to try this out tomorrow – apples are plentiful in Australia at the moment as its winter and we’ve been buying up frozen berries in bulk. Thanks Julie.

8. Anita on 02 Aug 2012 at 8:33 pm #

Thanks, Julie! I was a little skeptical given that I don’t have much experience with fruit crumbles but this turned out great. The only problem was there were no leftovers for breakfast the next morning:)

9. document on 27 Nov 2012 at 5:05 am #

whoah this blog is great i love studying your posts.
    Stay up the great work! You realize, many individuals are hunting
    round for this info, you can help them greatly.

10. outlet Calvin Klein on 24 Jun 2013 at 5:09 pm #

You’ve made some really good points there. I looked on the net to find out more about the issue and found most individuals will go along with your views on this site.

11. The Retreat at Westpark Apartments - Houston, TX - Thanksgiving Dessert Alternatives to Your Basic Pumpkin Pie on 04 Nov 2014 at 10:19 am #

[…] Apple Blueberry Crumble [dinnerwithjulie.com] For your guests who are die-hard pie fans, this traditional fruit pie topped with a thick, flavorful crumble is the perfect ending to the Thanksgiving meal. […]

12. ARK Bucks County Apartments - Bensalem, PA - Thanksgiving Dessert Alternatives to Your Basic Pumpkin Pie on 11 Nov 2014 at 9:45 am #

13. Orion Frisco Apartments - Frisco, TX - Serve These Alternative Thanksgiving Desserts at Orion Frisco on 12 Nov 2014 at 10:02 am #

[…] Apple Blueberry Crumble In sticking the with tradition of making pies for Thanksgiving, give this recipe a try. This pie is packed with fruits and topped with a thick, tasty crumble. […]

14. Vermella Lyndhurst Apartments - Lyndhurst, NJ - Accompany the Pumpkin Pie at Vermella Lyndhurst With These Alterntaive Thanksgiving Desserts on 20 Nov 2014 at 11:02 am #

[…] Apple Blueberry Crumble Apple pie can be found on many dessert tables after Thanksgiving dinner, but this pie is different. The blueberry adds a little extra flavor and the thick crumble adds more texture to this otherwise traditional apple pie. […]