Mediterranean Watermelon Salad

Picture 17 Mediterranean Watermelon Salad

After a dismal Friday, it was a pretty good weekend.

We bought a new (old) car. Or Mike did – a ’73 Charger. Far less practical than a minivan, and on a sunny day almost unbearably hot with its vinyl seats, lack of A/C (or cup holders, for that matter) and manual roll-down windows. But it turns out when you drive around in an old muscle car, people talk to, wave at, and take pictures of you. An added bonus I hadn’t thought of.

photo copy2 585x585 Mediterranean Watermelon Salad

We painted the front steps red. And I listened to this more often than I should probably admit, even when W wasn’t around. (My favourite line: “hey- you cookie showing and me hunger growing!“)

photo copy1 585x585 Mediterranean Watermelon Salad

Gwendolyn took me for an impromptu Sunday morning drive down the Cowboy Trail to the Chuckwagon Café in Turner Valley. Guys, these are truly the best burgers ever. If you’re looking for a fun way to spend an afternoon, or are peckish after a trip to the Millarville Market, it’s about an extra ten minutes’ drive, and so worth the pilgrimage. Owner Terry Myhre is a cattle rancher, and uses his own beef, ground and shaped in-house, seasoned and cooked perfectly, with a perfect ratio of meat to toppings and bun. Fab fries, too. (Apologies for the iPhone shots-too tired to go get my camera.)

photo2 585x585 Mediterranean Watermelon Salad

There was little cooking, besides some ice cream sundae sauces for a wedding next weekend and this watermelon salad for BT tomorrow morning. Ever had watermelon in a salad? I strongly recommend it.

Oh, also? I sort of launched a spinoff blog – I mentioned it awhile ago, but then got caught up in Stampede and thought I’d sleep on it for a week or two and make sure I really wanted to do it, and it wasn’t just one of those Great Big Ideas I had that eventually lost their lustre and fell by the wayside. So I dipped my toe in a few times, and it seems like I might want to jump in the pool.

Mediterranean Watermelon Salad

6 cups spring mix or other mixed greens
3 cups cubed seeded watermelon
1/4-1/2 cup thinly sliced purple onion
1-2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil or cold-pressed canola oil
1-2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar or balsamic reduction
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
freshly ground black pepper to taste

In large bowl, mix all ingredients except oil and pepper. Just before serving, drizzle with oil and vinegar and sprinkle with pepper. Makes 4-6 servings.

Note: I didn’t take the photo up top! The watermelon people did. Theirs was better than mine.

pixel Mediterranean Watermelon Salad
button print gry20 Mediterranean Watermelon Salad

July 22 2012 11:17 pm | salads and vegetarian

9 Responses to “Mediterranean Watermelon Salad”

1. Carolyn on 23 Jul 2012 at 5:46 am #

Watermelon and feta salad is one of my favourites! Fresh mint (or basil) is a wonderful addition, too!

2. Jocelyn on 23 Jul 2012 at 6:00 pm #

SO glad you got to go there.

I go to Turner Valley for work about once a month and Chuckwagon Cafe indeed the best. Though a friend kindly pointed out the relationship between my favourite burger and the spot I always stop to watch baby cows frolicing. The BEST was when the server remembered my order. “More Meetings today?” heh. Love that place, and I’ve had ALL the burgers.

3. em on 23 Jul 2012 at 10:18 pm #

Oh hey, I think we’re neighbors! I was checking out your awesome car this morning while I was out walking the dog. Which means that the skunk that hit your dog is probably also the skunk that hit my dog a few weeks ago. If you’re ever interested in forming a posse to round them up and send them far, far away, I am totally in.

And in related news, I’m definitely making that watermelon salad sometime soon. Looks and sounds delicious.

4. Boleslawiec on 26 Jul 2012 at 1:13 pm #

What a great summer salad. Delicious and can be prepared in minutes.

5. Manon from Ontario on 30 Jul 2012 at 5:26 am #

Trying this this week for sure :)

MFO

6. Kim on 10 Aug 2012 at 10:07 am #

Watermelon is my all time favorite summer treat, and feta, well its cheese and its awesome! Going to make this, this weekend for my family BBQ. Thanks for the post!

7. Fresh Ideas for Late Summer Entertaining | My Family Blog on 19 Aug 2012 at 7:03 pm #

[…] Chinese take out boxes; they are great to serve salads or finger foods in. Send guests home with a Mediterranean Watermelon Salad, cold pasta dish or chicken fingers in one, at your next summer […]

8. reply on 23 Oct 2012 at 9:02 am #

My brother suggested I might like this web site. He was totally right.
    This post truly made my day. You can not imagine just how much time I had spent for this information!
    Thanks!

9. Adriana on 15 Nov 2012 at 12:21 am #

Love Love Love this salad!
    What a great summer salad. Just regret that I’ve found it in fall.
    BTW. The cafe is really nice too.