Coconut Chocolate Chunk Scones

Chocolate coconut scones 3 Coconut Chocolate Chunk Scones

I have made many hundreds of scones in my day. Thousands, even. But these scones – they’re unlike any others I’ve made. Like thick, buttery cookies – not cakey, but sweet and tender, with a crunch edge. Riddled with coconut, they would almost be overwhelmed by butter and jam while other, doughier scones beg for it.

If you live in Calgary, you’ve most likely heard of Aviv – the baker who started out as a math/physics major and then wound up teaching himself to bake bread – the best bread ever – and now generates lineups of carb-hungry people everywhere he goes.

Chocolate coconut scones 2 Coconut Chocolate Chunk Scones

Although he bakes bloody amazing everything, Aviv seems to be best known for his scones. Back in the beginning he made coconut scones with chocolate chunks – a brilliant combo I would never have considered to apply to scones. They’re crispy-edged and sweet and shaggy, made by dropping sticky batter rather than roll or pat and cut it, and the combination of the above results in a texture unlike any other – even the scones he makes now.

He shared a recipe in Readers Digest years ago, and said his formula has evolved since then. Rather than ask him to share it, I took his lead and came up with my own. I love using chopped chocolate, rather than chocolate chips – chopping a chunk means you’ll have a range of texture in your scones, from teeny flecks of chocolate to big, melting chunks.

I made two batches this morning before the sun came up, but they were to share – my plan tomorrow is to sleep in, mix up our own batch, and nibble them warm, with coffee, while doing something completely unproductive, before going over to my mom’s house for turkey dinner.

(If we’re lucky, I’ll remember to pull the bird out of the freezer for Monday’s dinner.)

Chocolate Coconut Scones

1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
pinch salt
1/2 cup butter, but into pieces
3/4 c. dark or milk chocolate chunks or chips
1/3 cup shredded or flaked coconut
3/4 cup half & half cream

Preheat the oven to 425F. In a large bowl or the bowl of a food processor, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the butter and pulse or blend with a pastry cutter or fork until almost completely blended. Add the chocolate and coconut and toss to combine.

Add the cream and stir just until combined. Drop the dough in 8 large blobs on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden. Set aside on a wire rack to cool. Makes 8 scones.

pixel Coconut Chocolate Chunk Scones
button print gry20 Coconut Chocolate Chunk Scones

October 06 2012 09:21 pm | bread and breakfast

13 Responses to “Coconut Chocolate Chunk Scones”

1. Christina on 07 Oct 2012 at 7:10 am #

It’s 7:08 am and I’m lying in my cozy bed looking at this on my iPhone, wishing so much I had coconut in my pantry so I could get up and make them to eat with my morning coffee!! Oh well, at least I know what ill be doing next Sunday morning :)

2. Jaya on 07 Oct 2012 at 8:51 am #

Julie, these look dreamy! Last weekend, we were lucky enough to snatch a Sidewalk Citizen pumpkin caramel scone while we were at The Silk Road. It had big chunks of fresh pumpkin and a ribbon of caramel. It was absolute scone perfection!!

3. Laura on 07 Oct 2012 at 2:11 pm #

I am SO making these! Love that you call for flaked coconut, which I so prefer!

4. Leslie on 07 Oct 2012 at 3:13 pm #

Yummy! I don’t usually like scones but maybe I’ve never had any that look as good as these? P.S. don’t forget your bird ;)

5. Erica B. on 07 Oct 2012 at 5:49 pm #

Ooh I’m making these for breakfast tomorrow! Thanks Julie & Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours :)

6. nikkapotamus on 08 Oct 2012 at 7:18 am #

They are going into the oven now! I was short a few chocolate chips, so they will be heavy on the coconut. They smell delicious!
    I just love scones with a cup of tea.

7. stacey snacks on 08 Oct 2012 at 8:43 am #

yes please!

8. Pauline Lloyd on 08 Oct 2012 at 6:23 pm #

Oh my goodness. these are soooooo good. So quick to make. thanks Julie

9. Melody Madden on 08 Oct 2012 at 6:33 pm #

There is nothing that spells delicious like chocolate and coconut.
    Yummy. Will head out to tomorrow to pick up some coconut as I have a bag of dark chocolate chunks that are just looking for a recipe to throw themselves into.

10. Erica B. on 16 Oct 2012 at 3:41 pm #

Oh My. So despite my pledge to make these on T-day I finally just got around to it today. So good!!! I upped the coconut flavour by adding about a teaspoon of coconut flavouring to the cream. I’m already looking forward to the next batch and what other flavours I can make using this as a base–Orange Cranberry maybe.

Deelicious, and perfect for a blustery Fall day. Thank you Julie!

11. Michelle on 16 Oct 2012 at 10:47 pm #

Thank goodness you posted this recipe. I was privileged to be one of the few who got to eat these with you and they were absolutely amazing… so delicious. Thank you Julie!

12. Catching Up on 03 Dec 2012 at 5:28 pm #

[...] made Dark Chocolate/Coconut Scones … [...]

13. Mo on 30 Jan 2013 at 10:40 pm #

Good stuff! Well maybe not so good nutritionally but tasty! I think I would try the same recipe with grated cheddar cheese or pineapple instead of chocolate. Thanks.