Not-too-Sweet Flourless Chocolate Cake

flourless chocolate cake 1 Not too Sweet Flourless Chocolate Cake

For my sister’s birthday last week I baked a dense, unassuming chocolate cake, keeping it low in sugar and free of flour, which made it incredibly intense and perfect for serving in tiny slivers with whipped cream and sliced strawberries. It was almost like a brownie – perfect for those going wheat or gluten-free, or anyone needing a little less sugar. The original recipe called for 3/4 cup; 1/3 cup was plenty, producing the sort of cake that appeals to dark chocolate lovers.

flourless chocolate cake 5 Not too Sweet Flourless Chocolate Cake
flourless chocolate cake 4 Not too Sweet Flourless Chocolate Cake

I started with a bag of Bernard Callebaut semisweet chocolate nibs. It’s not much to look at, but everyone commented on how good it was. Baked in a square pan, it could pass off as a brownie.

flourless chocolate cake 3 Not too Sweet Flourless Chocolate Cake
flourless chocolate cake 2 Not too Sweet Flourless Chocolate Cake

Very nibbleable.

Not-too-Sweet Flourless Chocolate Cake

Adapted from Epicurious

4 oz. good-quality bittersweet chocolate, chopped (or nibs)
1/2 cup butter
1/3 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1/2 cup cocoa

Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter an 8-inch round baking pan, line the bottom with a circle of waxed or parchment paper and butter the paper, too.

In a small saucepan melt the chocolate with the butter over medium-low heat, stirring until smooth. Remove from the heat and whisk in the sugar; pour into a medium bowl and set aside for a few minutes. Whisk in the eggs, then sift the cocoa overtop (sifting just to get rid of any lumps – shake it through a small sieve if you have one, or don’t bother – you can see by the photo above that I didn’t) and stir until well blended.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes, or until the top has formed a thin crust. Cool cake in pan on a rack for 5-10 minutes, then invert onto a serving plate, peel off the waxed paper and then flip back over. Serve in thin wedges, with whipped cream.

Serves 8-12.

pixel Not too Sweet Flourless Chocolate Cake
button print gry20 Not too Sweet Flourless Chocolate Cake

November 04 2012 07:34 am | cookies & squares and dessert

15 Responses to “Not-too-Sweet Flourless Chocolate Cake”

1. Joanne on 04 Nov 2012 at 9:15 am #

Yay! GF–thanks Julie.

2. CathyH on 04 Nov 2012 at 5:44 pm #

This looks perfect for a celiac husband and a diabetic me!

3. Not-to-sweet Flourless Chocolate Cake | RobertsonHouse Eats on 04 Nov 2012 at 6:39 pm #

[…] Recipe: Dinner with Julie […]

4. Erica B. on 04 Nov 2012 at 8:08 pm #

Yummm! I first made flourless chocolate cake for a decadent desserts night using a recipe you posted awhile back and got rave reviews. I can’t wait to try this lower sugar version. :)

5. Sweet Flourless Chocolate Cake on 05 Nov 2012 at 6:59 am #

[…] Get the recipe ] /* Share […]

6. Bev on 05 Nov 2012 at 8:50 am #

This is exactly the recipe I have been needing! I am going to make this tonight!

7. Jill on 05 Nov 2012 at 12:32 pm #

Oh I will have to try this one, I usually make Martha Stewart’s flourless chocolate cake (http://www.marthastewart.com/344293/flourless-chocolate-cake) with rave reviews.

8. Leeann on 06 Nov 2012 at 9:52 am #

can you bake me a cake too?!

9. Stephanie on 06 Nov 2012 at 5:22 pm #

I’m not a chocolate lover but I do enjoy a really thin slice of flourless chocolate cake. The less sugar the better! (only.. with loads and loads of whipped cream)

10. Laura on 10 Nov 2012 at 10:36 pm #

YUUMMMM…. I would like a slice of this right now. And serving it in wedges is perfect because if it is cake and not a brownie it justifies the whipped cream lol…

11. Drew on 08 Feb 2013 at 2:37 pm #

Thanks for your recent input re meal planning.

I think I’ll start with your marinated cucumber salad, move on to one of your Spilling the Beans curries and end with the Not Too Sweet Flourless Cake (with strawberries).

DrewTwoFish

12. Kayla on 05 Mar 2013 at 7:18 pm #

I discovered this blog whilst searching for a flourless cake recipe two days ago. The picture in google search was rather enticing. I’ve made many such cakes before but none with cocoa- another enticement. I made it this evening and it’s a definite keeper. Thanks Julie.

13. Anonymous on 22 Mar 2013 at 9:08 pm #

I just made this and tried to be fancy pants by making a swirl in the top of the cake – it would have been better flat like you made it. Can’t wait to eat it at Mom’s bay tomorrow – half the family is wheat-free now.

14. Chocolate Sunday – Flourless Chocolate Cake! – franceskraft on 29 Sep 2013 at 5:13 am #

[…] amounts of sugar. One is at epicurious, and a less sweet version can be found on a website called dinnerwithjulie.com /. I compromised, using ½ cup  of sugar– a little more than the third of a cup called for in […]

15. Yvonne on 01 Oct 2013 at 9:07 pm #

I just tried this recipe tonight after feeling deprived of baked goods due to being gluten intolerant! It was so wonderfully DELICIOUS! I am a horrible baker, so this was truly a simple and “fool-proof” recipe! Thanks :)