Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Balsamic & Honey

Grilled Brussels Sprouts 3 Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Balsamic & Honey

I love this kind of non-recipe recipe. Once you figure out how to do it, it just becomes part of your regular repertoire, and there’s really no need to measure anything.

It’s a pretty basic idea, and yet I’ve never tossed warm, charred Brussels sprouts in balsamic vinegar and honey before. The idea came from Leslie, who grills hers in a grilling basket until they’re soft and crispy-edged, if you’re up for firing yours up under all this snow.

Grilled Brussels sprouts 4 Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Balsamic & Honey

You get pretty much the same effect in a hot oven, with no need to go out in the snow.

Roasted Brussels Sprouts

2-3 cups(ish) Brussels sprouts
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
2-3 Tbsp. honey
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 450F. Trim the stem ends of your Brussels sprouts and cut large ones in half. Toss in oil and add salt and pepper, then spread out on a rimmed baking sheet (lined with parchment or foil if you want to minimize cleanup). Roast for 20 minutes, or until tender and started to get charred. While they’re still warm, toss the Brussels sprouts in balsamic vinegar and honey and serve immediately.

pixel Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Balsamic & Honey
button print gry20 Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Balsamic & Honey

November 10 2012 08:47 pm | veg and vegetarian

7 Responses to “Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Balsamic & Honey”

1. Leslie on 10 Nov 2012 at 9:32 pm #

Thanks for the mention! We love our Brussels that way

2. CindieLou on 11 Nov 2012 at 8:53 am #

Oh, my goodness, do these ever look and sound good! Julie, do you think this might work with flavoured oil and vinegar?

3. Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Balsamic & Honey Recipe on 12 Nov 2012 at 7:11 am #

[...] Get the recipe ] /* Share [...]

4. Starting my dinner diary « My Dinner Diary on 12 Nov 2012 at 11:33 am #

[...] Roasted brussel sprouts, inspired by Dinner with Julie blog entry (http://dinnerwithjulie.com/2012/11/10/roasted-brussels-sprouts-with-balsamic-honey/) [...]

5. Shauna on 14 Nov 2012 at 2:29 pm #

How long did you roast them for?

6. kathy on 14 Nov 2012 at 3:49 pm #

We basically did the same thing for t’giving dinner, except I found a large bag of frozen hazelnuts in the freezer(my mother has trees that contribute) and someone threw in a couple handfulls of frozen whole nuts in with the brussel sprouts while roasting away, then dumped some maple syrup (that I didn’t even know I had, its interesting what 3 mad cooks rummaging in the pantry and freezer can find)into balsamic and viola!!! The whinners and complainers that hate brussel sprouts actually ate them all up. If you sprinkle some ground ginger onto them with the salt and pepper prior to roasting, it reduces the gassy…ness and bitterness of them as well.

7. Laura on 18 Nov 2012 at 12:01 am #

I’ve never been a brussel sprouts fan, but this dish makes me want to be. Also, I am on a mission today, as I stare at the 300 unread posts in my rss reader, to convince all my favorite bloggers to join triberr, where it is easier to keep track of posts! Let me know if you want an invite or more details.