Roasted Pumpkin & Pear Soup with Goat Cheese

pumpkin soup w goat cheese Roasted Pumpkin & Pear Soup with Goat Cheese

It seems everyone loves a good squash soup recipe. While I’m out in Jasper, I thought I’d share a really simple soup I made last week – roasted pumpkin and pear – not earth-shattering, but simple and delicious, especially topped with crumbled goat cheese, which kept its shape and then melted into the hot soup. This version is sweet and plain, but you could spice it up with a spoonful of curry paste, and of course swap any thick-skinned winter squash for the pumpkin. Butternut’s nice, and easy to peel.

roasting squash 1 Roasted Pumpkin & Pear Soup with Goat Cheese

If you find yourself with a particularly nubbly-skinned squash, roast it in wedges – the flesh will peel away easily once cooked.

Roasted Pumpkin & Pear Soup with Goat Cheese

1 small sugar pumpkin or butternut squash
2 ripe pears
canola oil
a dab of butter
1 small onion
1-inch knob of ginger, peeled and chopped
1 L chicken or vegetable stock
salt
goat cheese, for garnish

Preheat the oven to 425F. Peel and chop the pumpkin or squash and spread out on a rimmed baking sheet. If you like, core and quarter the pears and add them to the sheet too. Drizzle everything with oil and toss with your fingers to coat. Roast for 30 minutes, stirring once or twice, or until soft and golden on the edges.

In a medium saucepan or small pot, heat a drizzle of oil with a blob of butter over medium-high heat and saute the onion for a few minutes, until soft. Add the ginger and cook for another minute. Add the roasted squash and pears (if they’re raw, just chop and toss them in, skins and all) and enough stock to cover. Bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes, or until everything is very soft. Add a big pinch of salt and puree with a hand-held immersion blender (or transfer in batches to a regular blender) until smooth. Serve hot, sprinkled with crumbled goat cheese.

Serves 4-6.

pixel Roasted Pumpkin & Pear Soup with Goat Cheese
button print gry20 Roasted Pumpkin & Pear Soup with Goat Cheese

November 11 2012 06:17 pm | freezable and soup and vegetarian

15 Responses to “Roasted Pumpkin & Pear Soup with Goat Cheese”

1. CathyH on 11 Nov 2012 at 7:38 pm #

This sounds divine!! I have been losing weight by eating a lot of vegetable soups, especially for lunch. This one’s on my list. Love ya, Julie!

2. sara on 11 Nov 2012 at 7:55 pm #

Lovely! This looks perfect for chilly weather, and love the goat cheese here – a great flavor to sprinkle on top.

3. Erica B. on 11 Nov 2012 at 11:19 pm #

It’s definitely soup weather. I’ve used apple but never pear-excellent idea.
    Btw is that a Fiestaware mug? If so, where’d you get it?

4. Roasted Pumpkin & Pear Soup with Goat Cheese - Dinner With Julie on 12 Nov 2012 at 7:05 am #

[...] Get the recipe ] /* Share [...]

5. Roasted Pumpkin & Pear Soup with Goat Cheese recipe on 12 Nov 2012 at 7:32 am #

[...] Get the recipe ] /* Share [...]

6. Sharon @ Red Poppy | Pink Peony on 12 Nov 2012 at 7:46 am #

This looks delicious! I have ripe pears and ginger, so I may try it tonight!

7. Kathy H on 13 Nov 2012 at 3:20 pm #

Great recipe and I LOVE your presentation! You’re so inspiring!

8. Sandy on 14 Nov 2012 at 1:42 pm #

OMG – We tried this soup for lunch today, with butternut squash, and it was heavenly! The pears really add a nice sweetness and roasting the squash & pears together really added to the flavour. It was all I could do to stop eating the lovely chunks of squash as they came out of the oven all toasty. Thanks for another winner, Julie!

9. Kyra on 15 Nov 2012 at 12:16 am #

Pretty and yummy!
    It’s definitely made for this season. I myself love pumpkin soup. This is definitely my next menu for tomorrow morning.

10. Laura on 18 Nov 2012 at 12:02 am #

The goat cheese in this soup is brilliant. I would like a bowl now, please. :)

11. Melanie on 19 Nov 2012 at 11:49 am #

I had 3 sweet little sugar pie pumpkins sitting on my counter patiently waiting for me to roast them. I finally did it this weekend and then debated over what to use that lovely filling for. Part of it is now bubbling away on the stove for this soup. Can’t wait.

12. Mary on 24 Jan 2013 at 4:27 pm #

OMGGG!! This sounds so delicious. You have got my mouth watering in temptation, ha. I absolutely love Roasted Pumpkin.. Going to have to try it tonight for sure!

13. sara on 23 Oct 2013 at 3:01 pm #

I made this last night with a giant delicata squash we got in our CSA box (I know usually they’re pretty tiny, but this one was the size of a small butternut!) Awesome, awesome soup – love the ginger, and felt like all the flavors made for the perfect autumn bowl. :) Thanks for sharing a great recipe!

14. 15 Fruit Soups on 09 Nov 2013 at 9:01 am #