Perfect Prime Rib with Horseradish Hollandaise

prime rib 2 Perfect Prime Rib with Horseradish Hollandaise

Sorry for the flat lighting on a beautiful piece of meat – this getting dark at 5pm – oy.

I’m home from Christmas in November – one of the highlights of my year, it’s like grown-up camp with gorgeous cabins and cocktails. I get to hang out with friends I see every Christmas in November, and celebrity chefs like Michael Smith and Michael and Anna Olson, decorators like Karl Lohnes, mixologists like Micah Dew – this year Jody, the brewing manager from Big Rock was there doing beer tastings, and Sandhill hosted wine tastings and kept everyone happy at dinner. It’s a crazy fun time and I get completely spoiled in the food and drink department, love the total lack of commuting and traffic – as long as you don’t count herds of elk while walking from the pool to the playroom to the lounge and back to your cabin – and become hopelessly hooked on Bing Crosby and never having to do a dish or make a bed.

JPL Exterior 1 585x389 Perfect Prime Rib with Horseradish Hollandaise
JPL Spa 585x390 Perfect Prime Rib with Horseradish Hollandaise

If you’ve never been, I highly recommend it. Heading back through the snowy rockies on highway 93 (a gorgeous drive if you’ve never done it) I’m now completely Christmassified and ready to pull out the movies and decorations and start in on the fruitcake as soon as I walk in the door.

Michael Smith 1 585x389 Perfect Prime Rib with Horseradish Hollandaise

I always learn something new at CIN… this year I learned how to flip bottles, Cocktail-style (but not how to always catch them), how to make a Christmas tree out of Play-doh and how to light a chunk of orange peel and use it to rim a drink. I got great baking tips from Anna – and a sock bun tutorial too (we have the same hair), and at Chef Michael Smith’s session, I learned how to cook prime rib.

prime rib 1 Perfect Prime Rib with Horseradish Hollandaise

It’s not something I cook often, but I might bring back roast beef for Sunday night supper after learning how to time it perfectly, with no need for prodding or meat thermometers. It takes the fear out of cooking a $50 piece of meat. Here’s what you do: rub the surface of a room-temperature 2-4 bone prime rib with flour, salt and pepper while you crank the heat up to 500F. Put your roast in for 30 min (2 bone), 45 min (3 bone) or 60 min (4 bone) at that high heat, then turn the oven off and leave it inside – without peeking – for exactly 2 hours.

prime rib 4 Perfect Prime Rib with Horseradish Hollandaise

I made this one at 4:30 am for the morning show on Tuesday – so the after photos I took are too blurry to accurately portray the roast’s crispy exterior and bits. But I will say it was less effort to make this prime rib than to make the boys’ lunches. There’s a great video on Michael’s website if you want him to give you the walk-through.

At lunch one day, Anna told me about Michael (Olson) making a horseradish hollandaise – totally unrelated to the prime rib, but I figured it would be a perfect pairing. I was right. I stuck with about a teaspoon of horseradish, which made it subtle – feel free to crank it up. It was wonderful mellowed by the rich hollandaise. It’s easy to make in the blender. For real.

prime rib 3 Perfect Prime Rib with Horseradish Hollandaise

Chef Michael Smith’s Perfect Prime Rib

adapted from Fast Flavours, by Chef Michael Smith

one 2 – 4 bone standing prime rib roast
flour (all-purpose or whole wheat)
plenty of salt and freshly ground pepper

Bring the meat to room temperature – Chef Michael recommends leaving it at room temperature for at least 3 hours. Preheat your oven to 500?F and season some flour with plenty of salt and pepper, then rub it all over the meat. (This will create a crisper crust – omit the flour if you like. Seasoning the flour first will help the salt and pepper to stick – if you flour the meat, there will be nothing for the salt and pepper to stick to.)

Put the roast fat side up (bones down) in a roasting pan and roast at 500?F for 30 minutes for a 2 bone, 45 for a 3 bone, or 1 hour for a 4 bone. Turn the oven off – leave it closed! – and let the roast cook for exactly 2 hours longer. No peeking! After 2 hours it will be perfectly cooked and rested, so you can carve it immediately when it comes out of the oven.

Serves 6-12+.

Horseradish Hollandaise

3 large egg yolks
1/4 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1-3 tsp. horseradish
pinch salt
1/2 cup butter

Put the yolks, mustard, lemon juice, horseradish and salt into a blender; cover and pulse until blended.

Melt the butter on the stovetop or in the microwave until melted and hot; with the blender on high speed, slowly pour the butter through the hole in the top. It should start to thicken to the consistency of mayonnaise. Once all the butter has been added, scrape the hollandaise out into a bowl and keep warm until serving time. Serves 8.

pixel Perfect Prime Rib with Horseradish Hollandaise
button print gry20 Perfect Prime Rib with Horseradish Hollandaise

November 14 2012 09:18 pm | beef

23 Responses to “Perfect Prime Rib with Horseradish Hollandaise”

1. Elaine on 14 Nov 2012 at 9:36 pm #

Good lord, that looks stellar. My boyfriend and I usually make a rib roast on New Year’s Day (with the assumption that we and our friends will nibble on it, bleary-eyed, all afternoon); I may just have to use this recipe this year!

2. CathyH on 14 Nov 2012 at 10:04 pm #

That Looks Amazing!!!!!

3. Irene on 15 Nov 2012 at 10:25 am #

Question, Do you cook it in a covered roaster? I would assume not, but please advise. Thanks.

4. holly on 15 Nov 2012 at 10:52 am #

There has been a debate about hollandaise in our house, precipitated by “someone” bringing home a package that you add milk to (yes, really!!!). Your recipe is very timely, my dear, as I’m about to prove that REAL hollandaise is easy and, of course, fantastic.

5. Lana on 15 Nov 2012 at 12:19 pm #

I should probably check the video before asking this but, what about a bigger roast? Do you add 15 min at the high temp for more bones in, and is it always 2 hours after it’s shut off.
    I LIKE this method and would love to give it a try!

6. Stephanie on 15 Nov 2012 at 3:56 pm #

oh wow that looks so good.. and easy enough for me to do! And I swear if I wasn’t concerned about fitting into my pants I would eat hollandaise every single day.

7. Perfect Prime Rib with Horseradish Hollandaise on 15 Nov 2012 at 5:02 pm #

[…] Get the recipe ] /* Share […]

8. Mar on 15 Nov 2012 at 8:25 pm #

Please remember to cook all beef to at least 160 deg.

9. Kalyn on 16 Nov 2012 at 2:21 pm #

I am drooling at the sound of Horseradish Hollandaise. What a beautiful idea!

10. Sharon on 16 Nov 2012 at 6:35 pm #

Sorry, but I disagree with the previous comments. The photo of the roast looks disgusting and not at all appetizing to me. Just looks like a slab of raw meat!!!

11. Adrian on 17 Nov 2012 at 2:59 am #

Ooooh- Christmas grinch!

12. Phil on 17 Nov 2012 at 2:24 pm #

I’ve always been a bit wary of prime rib because of exactly what you mentioned… the possibility of screwing up a $50 cut of beef. I’ll have to give it a go.

13. Laura on 18 Nov 2012 at 12:19 am #

I LOVE prime rib. LOVE it. And here I was hoping this post would be a rant against turkey encouraging everyone to make prime rib for Thanksgiving. ;) I did it once!

14. Barb on 18 Nov 2012 at 12:17 pm #

I never would have thought of cooking a $50 roast like this. I feel very fortunate that someone with a food expense account would experiment and come up with such a great idea! Love it :)

15. Carrie on 18 Nov 2012 at 10:31 pm #

Loved the horseradish hollandaise – heavenly!

16. Darren on 20 Nov 2012 at 10:13 am #

Thanks for the horseradish hollandaise recipe. What a revelation! So light and creamy. I had leftover beef tenderloin sitting in the fridge so I cut that thin, put that on top of an english muffin, poach some eggs and topped it all with the horseradish hollandaise sauce. An amazing take on Eggs Benedict. Thanks Julie.

17. Deryl on 23 Nov 2012 at 12:51 pm #

Julie, I heard your description of this on CBC. I would like to add a comment to it. I have been doing this method for awhile and it works great.

I heat up the oven to 500 and use a rule of thumb for a 5-8lb prime rib (2, 3 or 4 rib), I use 5 min per lb for medium rare, 6 min per lb for medium and 7 min per lb for medium well (not that I do 7 min per lb). The key is to not open the oven and keep it closed for the two hours. I usually rub the roast with olive oil and a rub prior to putting it in the oven.

Yes, it does have to be at room temp so leave it out for 1 hr or more. This is the best no-fool-proof way to do a prime rib (and other beef cuts). Thanks.

18. Cheryl on 23 Nov 2012 at 8:44 pm #

I have been using this method of cooking prime rib for awhile as well. Turns out like a fine restaurant every time. Thanks for sharing your great recipes and food ideas Julie!

19. Steak Bites with Garlic A├»oli » Dinner With Julie on 29 Nov 2012 at 3:31 pm #

[…] “got steak?” Generally I don’t (although he didn’t complain when I had prime rib instead), but this past Tuesday, being my last day with him in the director’s chair, I made […]

20. Dale on 06 Dec 2012 at 7:36 pm #

I have made this and it works perfectly I shall forever cook a prime rib like this NO guesswork!
    The temptation was so strong to open the oven and thank goodness I did not because it was a masterpiece! Bravo Julie and thank you Michael!!
    I may try this method with other cuts of meat too.

21. christine on 27 Dec 2012 at 8:20 am #

I did a 4 bone prime rib for Christmas eve and it worked great. We were a bit nervous about ruining a 95 dollar roast (BonTon Meat market took the bones off and reattached for cooking. Took them off again to carve). Only quibble, our family likes rarer meat and this was 135 degrees when I took it out of the oven, so would probably shave off a little of the initial 500 degree time. OR better yet have a leave in meat thermometer as not being able to open the oven and check was an issue.

22. Tinnitus on 05 Nov 2013 at 9:56 pm #

When some one searches for his vital thing, thus he/she needs to be available
    that in detail, thus that thing is maintained over here.

23. yeast infection on 06 Nov 2013 at 7:02 am #

These are actually fantastic ideas in regarding blogging.
    You have touched some fastidious factors here. Any way
    keep up wrinting.