Steak Bites with Garlic Aïoli

Steak bites 1 Steak Bites with Garlic Aïoli

Our longtime director at the Eyeopener, a man I’ve worked with for 6 or 7 of the 32 years he’s been at CBC, is retiring this week. Every Tuesday when I go to the studio, his first question when I walk through the door is – “got steak?” Generally I don’t (although he didn’t complain when I had prime rib instead), but this past Tuesday, being my last day with him in the director’s chair, I made steak.

I brought him a nice, triple A, well-marbled ribeye to cook on the grill, but I also made steak bites – easier for everyone to eat in the studio first thing in the morning, and inspired by the steak bites I had at the Steakout truck a few weeks ago (you’ll find them parked beside MEC most of the time), which they served with a garlicky soy aïoli.

Steak bites 8 Steak Bites with Garlic Aïoli
Steak bites 7 Steak Bites with Garlic Aïoli

I’ve had a recipe for Rockin’ Ronnie Shewchuk’s “Easiest, Tastiest Steak” on my to-make list for many years now, and it seemed to me that a salty, gingery, garlicky marinade would do well on little bites of meat you dip and pop into your mouth. It’s an intense marinade – not one you’d want to bathe your steak in for too long – but it was perfect. After a dip, you cube your meat, crank up the heat under a skillet and sear the pieces in butter, which creates a wonderfully meaty browned-butter dribble to pour over your steak bites after you cook them, which only takes a few minutes.

Steak bites 6 Steak Bites with Garlic Aïoli
Steak bites 5 Steak Bites with Garlic Aïoli

Cooking steak bites is less stressful than a whole steak – once they’re nicely charred on all sides, they’re perfectly done in the middle. And with all that extra surface area, every bite has crispy bits.

Steak bites 2 Steak Bites with Garlic Aïoli
Steak Bites 3 Steak Bites with Garlic Aïoli

Plus: it’s a perfect opportunity to hone your mayo-making skills and whip (literally) up some garlic aïoli for dipping. (But no one will mind if you cheat and add crushed garlic to a jar of mayo.)

Steak bites 4 Steak Bites with Garlic Aïoli

Steak Bites with Garlic Aïoli

The marinade comes from Barbecue Secrets Deluxe, by Rockin’ Ronnie Shewchuk – he says it’s also great with pork chops and rich, meaty fish like salmon, halibut and tuna.

4 well-marbled striploin steaks, an inch or so thick

Marinade:
1 cup dark soy sauce
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp sesame oil
freshly ground black pepper

butter, for cooking

Cut the steak into bite-sized (about 1-inch) pieces. Combine all the marinade ingredients in a glass baking dish, add the meat, turn to coat, and marinate for 10 minutes to half an hour, stirring once or twice. Do not marinate it overnight, as this is a fairly salty marinade.

Set a heavy skillet over medium-high heat and add a blob of butter. When the foaming subsides, add the steak in batches, without crowding the pan, and leave for a minute or two to get a nice sear on the first side. Turn and cook for a few minutes, until golden all over. Transfer to a shallow bowl. When all the steak is cooked, drizzle the buttery juices from the bottom of the pan over them. Serve with garlic aioli. Serves 8.

Garlic Aïoli

Adapted from Gourmet, 2002

1 large egg yolk
2 tsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/2 cup mild olive or canola oil, or a combination
2 garlic cloves, finely crushed or grated
salt and freshly ground black pepper

In a medium bowl whisk together the yolk, lemon juice, and mustard. Add the oil in a very slow stream or a few drops at a time, whisking vigorously and constantly, until all the oil is incorporated and mixture is emulsified. (If mixture separates, stop adding oil and continue whisking until mixture comes together, then resume adding oil.)

Whisk in the garlic, salt and pepper. Makes about 3/4 cup.

pixel Steak Bites with Garlic Aïoli
button print gry20 Steak Bites with Garlic Aïoli

November 29 2012 03:31 pm | appetizers and beef

21 Responses to “Steak Bites with Garlic Aïoli”

1. Priyanka on 29 Nov 2012 at 3:43 pm #

Great dish…. nice pics

2. Kathy H on 29 Nov 2012 at 4:12 pm #

That’s looks like meat-lovers heaven! Yum!

3. sippitysup on 29 Nov 2012 at 5:16 pm #

Got steak? That’s way better than good morning. GREG

4. CathyH on 29 Nov 2012 at 5:30 pm #

WOW! This looks amazing. Thank you again, Julie!

5. lovetocook on 29 Nov 2012 at 9:19 pm #

Julie, this reminded me of some pub food we had in Whitefish MT called Black and Blue. It was blackened pieces of steak with a blue cheese dipping sauce. Amazing. Any ideas how to do this?

6. Roxanna@WholesomeHedonist on 30 Nov 2012 at 6:30 am #

I’m not much of a steak person (we eat veg most of the time, mostly because I’m too lazy/forgetful to take meat out in time and cook it,) but these look amazing. I might just have to surprise hubby with these (though probably not for breakfast :))

7. CathyD on 30 Nov 2012 at 9:56 am #

I’m sooooo making this tonight. Yum.

8. Barb on 30 Nov 2012 at 8:37 pm #

That was sweet and very thoughtful of you to bring him this on your last day together!

9. Doréus on 01 Dec 2012 at 2:33 pm #

Yum. And I listened with relish to that presentation last Tuesday.
    Just a note in passing. Aïoli is, by necessity, made with garlic (it comes from the French word “ail”, which means garlic). If it is not made with garlic, it is not aïoli, but some other kind of dip / mayo. Therefore, calling it “garlic aïoli” is redundant. A little like calling “chai” “chai tea”…
    Keep the cheerfulness and the yumminess coming on these Tuesday mornings.

10. Claire D on 02 Dec 2012 at 11:40 am #

Making these for sure for holiday “small crowd get togethers” – look Delish!

11. Lisa on 02 Dec 2012 at 3:50 pm #

This sounds like a great appie for Christmas Eve. Thanks for sharing!

12. Kate on 05 Dec 2012 at 10:56 am #

Julie, I made this last night for dinner – it was so wonderful! The steak was tender and just perfect. I tend to usually overcook steak on the stovetop, so making cubes solved the problem for me…. yumm… Thanks for the inspiration and great recipes.

13. Laura Clark on 06 Dec 2012 at 7:44 pm #

My boys are going to devour these! Bite sized morsels and a dipping sauce – what could be better? I just put in my grocery order for Rib eye…

14. Steak Bites with Garlic AïoliGo Cook This! on 14 Dec 2012 at 7:57 am #

[...] Get the recipe [...]

15. Lesley on 15 Dec 2012 at 1:26 pm #

Made this with aged rib eye steak from a Hutterite Colony. Absolutely wonderful, and the dipping aioli is so easy. Who knew?? Obviously everyone but me. This is a keeper of a recipe!

16. Karen on 11 Mar 2013 at 6:51 pm #

We have now made steak bites (twice), once in the pan, once on the grill kabob style with peppers, onion and mushrooms and we’ve also made pork bites….this is a marinade I will never tire of….from one meat godess to another, Thank You

17. Val on 08 Jun 2013 at 2:21 pm #

I have my steak marinating, my Aioli made with flavours marrying while we speak, can’t wait to eat this tonight :)

18. Busy | The Chick and The Duck on 01 Aug 2013 at 12:22 am #

[...] while back, I’d pinned this recipe from Dinner With Julie for Steak Bites. I hadn’t realized until I pulled it out for the barbeque that it can be cooked on a pan indoors; [...]

19. Dinner and a Mooooovie 2013 | Saucy Cherie on 05 Oct 2013 at 2:00 pm #

[…] Julie’s awesome Steak bites and dipping sauce […]

20. Heather on 25 Jan 2014 at 7:12 pm #

I never comment on blogs, but I did make these last night and they were beyond perfect. I think the only difference I made is that I subbed lime for the lemon, as I figured it was for acid in the marinade and that is what I had. I also used 2, 1″ thick sirloin steaks that I cubed myself. I added 2 T butter to my pan and waited until slightly golden but not burned butter before adding my steak. I deglazed with a nice cab and wiped clean and started on a second batch. Each bite was a jucy, tender, flavor explosion and they only took a few minutes in the pan!

21. Trent on 02 Feb 2014 at 2:36 pm #

Thank you!!! As an rookie in the kitchen you made me feel like a superstar for this Super Bowl party…sincerely, thank you!!!