2013

happy new year 2013 2013

Happy January, friends. There’s only forty-five minutes left in the first day of January, and I’m still somewhat in shock that it’s actually here. It has taken 24 hours for me to realize it’s midnight, and we haven’t even managed to round up the decorations and put the tree away yet.

I don’t have a recipe, nor insight into something interesting to cook today – I did make a puffed apple pancake at about noon, and as I dig up the link I noticed that the last time I made it was January 1, 2012 – ha! Really, I just wanted to pop in and say hi. And thank you. Thanks.

I’d go back and cull some gastronomical highlights for you, perhaps wax poetic about the best of the past 12 months, but the truth is I’d rather look ahead. 2012 wasn’t my favourite year, if I’m being honest here. Yes, there was plenty to be happy and thankful for, but much I can’t wait to leave behind. Although I’m not one to put much stock in the turning of the clock, I was glad to see it go. Despite waking up with an excessively phlegmy head (W and I have collectively gone through many boxes of Kleenex this week) I’ll take this new date as somewhat of a clean slate – all day I’ve been envisioning myself shaking a giant Etch-a-Sketch. (Mine seems to be getting worn out – you know when you can still see all the old tracks, making it harder to define the new ones? Deep man, deep.)

tofino path 2013

I’m sure I’m not the only one who gets all nostalgic and analytical at this time of year. I’ve been thinking and pondering and prioritizing, and cleaning a shocking quantity of recycling out of my office. People keep asking about my resolutions for this year – although I try to avoid them, who am I kidding? I make resolutions on a weekly basis, not yearly. (Sticking to them is a whole other thing.)

Generally, my resolutions this time involve more, not less:
More veggies.
More soup. (See above.)
More water.
More books.
More going places.
More people around the table.
More sleep.
More shopping from my freezer in the basement.
MORE BETTER ORGANIZATIONAL SKILLS. (Oops, capslock.)
More time here.

Seriously, this place is in dire need of an extreme makeover, and it’s been on my to-do list for what, 4 years? I haven’t updated my index since it told me it was full 3 years ago, and I’ve been avoiding clicking on that ‘about me’ page everyone else seems to click on – I’m sure W is still three on it.

So that’s coming down the pipe – heads up.

And perhaps it’s 40 (!) years of conditioning, but after that week-long Sunday stretch between Boxing Day and New Year’s Eve, and the surplus of baking and sweets still lingering in every corner of the house, I do crave that step back to regular food. Please take it not as jumping on the new year health food bandwagon, but as simply too much of a good thing.

Here’s to a happy, healthy 2013 that brings even more good things.

pixel 2013
button print gry20 2013

January 01 2013 11:16 pm | leftovers

15 Responses to “2013”

1. jules on 02 Jan 2013 at 7:40 am #

I could definitely adopt all of your excellent resolutions (except I don’t have a freezer in the basement). The only resolution I made of my own is to label everything I put in my teeny tiny fridge freezer – no frosty mystery bags/tubs for me in 2013. Happy Happy and thanks for all you do!

2. Carolyn on 02 Jan 2013 at 8:03 am #

Love your resolutions (I prefer to label mine as “goals for 2013″.) If I don’t write mine down and tell at least a couple of people about them, I find they don’t happen. A couple of years ago one of my goals was to lose about 20 lbs. My daughter told me it wasn’t possible – that was the best motivation ever! (I lost 30 just to prove her wrong!).

3. Marilynn on 02 Jan 2013 at 9:03 am #

Your resolution list is exactly the same as mine. Yes 2013 will be a better year than 2012. Wonderful memories but glad it is gone. One day at a time. Enjoy your blogs and enjoy watching you on TV. All the best Julie in making your dreams come true!

4. Jody on 02 Jan 2013 at 12:38 pm #

I was lucky enough to get your cookbook for Christmas! Have been pouring over the beautiful pictures and getting inspired for some great meals. Love your blog for its humor and bits of culinary and life wisdom. All the best for 2013!

5. Erica B. on 02 Jan 2013 at 2:24 pm #

Julie, I couldn’t have said it better myself–including the basement freezer.

In terms of organization-I started small and tackled the ensuite bathroom today. Next up, the pile of “doesn’t fit” clothes generated by three growing kids. Whatever doesn’t get set aside for hand me downs, is getting boxed up for pickup by the Diabetes Association Clothesline.

Speaking of the basement freezer–anyone here know how to prep elk tenderloin?

Cheers to saying goodbye to 2012 and diving head first in to 2013 :)

6. Carol S-B on 02 Jan 2013 at 3:57 pm #

I like the idea of taking stock (ooo, soup! sry, a.d.d. there) at the turn of the calendar. Maybe it’s because I still hang a calendar on my wall: I sit down with the old year, and write in the sketched activities for the new year on the new, pristine white calendar. Then I look at it and consider, What could I do that’s /*more*/ /*less*/ /*for me*/ /*for the family*/ /*for my greater community*/ /*different*/? And my gut tells me it’s time to eat more lentils and a bit less butter.

7. Maureen on 02 Jan 2013 at 8:17 pm #

Amen, sistah. Here’s to more*. And while 2012 held nothing bad for me, it just felt like a “meh” year. Here’s to 2013 and it’s more-ness.

*more of all those good things will mean less of some others. Working on the time-suck things first. Like Twitter. Haven’t been there for 10 days. Haven’t missed it. I think that’s a sign.

8. Avery on 02 Jan 2013 at 10:48 pm #

Ha! One of my resolutions is actually to eat MORE butter! (Seriously – I never really ate margarine, but I’ll admit I liked the convenience and spreadability for my kids’ morning toast. No more!)

I’m also doing a 30-day “Whole Foods Challenge”; not a diet, so much as a commitment to only whole foods (no processed, no sugar, no wheat, no alcohol, etc.)… it’s only 30 days, and I’d like to see if it clears the fogginess I feel at times.

More water is a big one for me. Unless there’s coffee in it I find it hard to drink, even doctored up with lemon and such. More walking. Less sitting. More smiling :)

9. Jacqueline on 03 Jan 2013 at 2:35 pm #

Spot on with the resolutions, Julie! It’s so much more positive to think ‘more’ rather than ‘less’; I like it!

I look forward to tuning in to your blog again this year. You’ve become my ‘go-to’ place for interesting food ideas. Thanks!

Here’s to you and here’s to 2013 being a great year! All the best. :D

10. Barb on 03 Jan 2013 at 5:22 pm #

All the best to you in 2013. Make that all the best to US in 2013. I will do my best!

11. Misty on 03 Jan 2013 at 7:33 pm #

Happy New Year to you, Julie! I have similar sentiments concerning 2012. Let’s have a drink together soon so we can toast a great year to come!

12. Lana on 04 Jan 2013 at 1:12 pm #

Happy New Year, dear Julie! I hope 2013 includes you and I seeing each other again. I’m workin’ on it…

13. molly on 04 Jan 2013 at 6:18 pm #

a. love the etch-a-sketch analogy. so, so there. deep grooves, man.
    b. love the “more”, even more.
    c. i don’t do bandwagons, either. but i do crave veg by the bucketful, about now. bring ‘em on.
    d. happy new year, my friend.

xo,
    molly

14. Stephanie on 04 Jan 2013 at 10:16 pm #

Time management is on my list in capital letters too!

Happy New Year!

15. Rose on 04 Jan 2013 at 11:34 pm #

Hi Julie

Happy 2013! Interesting that many (not just here) have been glad to see 2012 end. I wonder what that’s about?

Your plans for 2013 sound so perfect they’re now my goals too! Thanks for that….

Rose