Quinoa Salad with Chickpeas, Feta and Apples

Quinoa salad w apples and feta Quinoa Salad with Chickpeas, Feta and Apples

This is a repeat! I’m making this salad on Global this morning in honour of Apple Month, and so thought I’d post it here in case anyone comes looking for it. Here it is!

This is a salad I did awhile ago for Swerve, and I can’t get enough of it.

Quinoa Salad with Chickpeas, Feta and Apples

1 cup quinoa, rinsed in a fine sieve
1/4 cup golden or sultana raisins
1 19 oz. (540 mL) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
a big handful of flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1/2 cup crumbled feta (or as much as you want)
1 tart-ish apple, chopped
1/2 cup toasted walnuts or almonds

Dressing:
1/4 cup canola or olive oil
1/4 cup rice or white wine vinegar
2 tsp. brown sugar or honey
1/4 tsp. curry paste or powder

Cook 1 cup quinoa according to package directions (or there are directions here); dump into a wide salad bowl and set aside to cool. (Tip: add the raisins as it cools – the raisins will plump up as they absorb any excess moisture.) Add the chickpeas, parsley, feta and apple and drizzle with dressing. (To make the dressing: shake all the ingredients up in a jar.) Toss, then sprinkle with toasted walnuts or almonds right before serving.

Serves 4.

pixel Quinoa Salad with Chickpeas, Feta and Apples
button print gry20 Quinoa Salad with Chickpeas, Feta and Apples

February 09 2013 07:53 am | leftovers

19 Responses to “Quinoa Salad with Chickpeas, Feta and Apples”

1. Kalyn on 09 Feb 2013 at 8:56 am #

Julie, I am seriously drooling over this salad!

2. Jess S. @ Floptimism on 09 Feb 2013 at 10:19 am #

This salad is STUNNING! I also love the flavor combination, and anything with chickpeas is good in my book.

3. Barb on 10 Feb 2013 at 9:09 am #

Looks really good! When you were on Global, did you say that ambrosia apples don’t turn brown?

4. Julie on 10 Feb 2013 at 2:43 pm #

Yes, they don’t oxidize as quickly as other varieties – meaning they don’t turn brown. I mean they do slightly, but not as much as other kinds, and not as quickly.

5. Laurie from Burnaby on 11 Feb 2013 at 4:57 pm #

yummy yummy

6. Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) on 17 Feb 2013 at 9:47 am #

Totally my kind of salad! This looks delicious.

7. Carly on 20 Feb 2013 at 2:11 pm #

I made this salad, and it was absolutely delicious! Total win. 5 Stars!

8. Laura on 01 Mar 2013 at 7:45 pm #

Yum. This looks wonderful. Pinning now.

9. grains | Starting from Scratch on 03 Mar 2013 at 6:18 pm #

[...] What is it? A tiny grain (that’s actually a seed) native to Peru that cooks quickly and has a slightly nutty flavour. It has a texture similar to couscous. Known for being a complete protein and very healthy. Uses: rice alternative, quinoa salad, quinoa porridge Cooking Instructions: Add one part quinoa to 1 1/2 parts water in a cooking pot. Bring to a simmer, turn heat down to low and cover. Cook for 10-15 minutes or until water has disappeared. Recipe: Try this easy, protein-rich quinoa salad from Dinner with Julie. [...]

10. grains | Starting from Scratch on 03 Mar 2013 at 6:31 pm #

[...] What is it? A tiny grain (that’s actually a seed) native to Peru that cooks quickly and has a slightly nutty flavour. It has a texture similar to couscous. Known for being a complete protein and very healthy. Uses: Can be used as a rice alternative, for quinoa salad, quinoa porridge, and in soups and stews. Cooking Instructions: Add one part quinoa to 1 1/2 parts water in a cooking pot. Bring to a simmer, turn heat down to low and cover. Cook for 10-15 minutes or until water has disappeared. Recipe: Try this easy, protein-rich quinoa salad from Dinner with Julie [...]

11. Patricia on 06 Mar 2013 at 9:27 am #

Love your recipes. I often use chicken or veggie broth rather than water for just a little more flavor. The broth is salt free, as well. Thanks for the great ideas! We love quinoa and have passed on recipes to others. Be healthy!

12. Julie on 06 Mar 2013 at 11:01 am #

Patricia – good idea with the chicken or veggie stock! and yes, don’t you love quionoa recipes? I’m a fan…

13. Menu Plan Monday ~ March 11/13 : I'm an Organizing Junkie on 11 Mar 2013 at 7:52 am #

[...] Quinoa Salad with Chickpeas, Fetas and Apples and Hawaiian Pita [...]

14. Courtney on 12 Mar 2013 at 12:11 pm #

This is absolutely delicious! I will definitely make it again. Thanks for sharing this recipe!

15. Menu Plan Monday ~ March 11/13 | Top-Ranked Blog on 14 Mar 2013 at 5:41 pm #

[...] Quinoa Salad with Chickpeas, Fetas and Apples and Hawaiian Pita [...]

16. Salma on 28 Jul 2013 at 3:43 pm #

This looks so beautiful! I made it the other day for a family bbq and it turned out really well. I posted a link to your recipe on my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/RealLifeForMom?ref=hl

17. Salma on 28 Jul 2013 at 3:53 pm #

This salad looks beautiful! I tried it out at a family bbq and it went over really well! I posted a link to your recipe on my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/RealLifeForMom?ref=hl

18. goals & menu plan for the week of 3/17 | Day-By-Day Masterpiece on 20 Aug 2013 at 1:17 pm #

[…] twice-baked potato soup – quinoa salad with apples, chickpeas + feta – curried carrot soup with cornbread – peanut-butter breakfast cookies – cupcakes with chocolate […]

19. » Great Apple Round Up! on 18 Feb 2014 at 10:39 am #

[…] Here’s another salad idea but this one could be your whole meal – it’s quinoa based with feta and chickpeas from Dinner with Julie. […]