Cream of Mushroom Soup with Buttered Crackers

cream of mushroom soup 2 Cream of Mushroom Soup with Buttered Crackers

I have an odd confession to make: I’ve never eaten buttered crackers before. Peanut buttered, yes – my mom used to sandwich saltines with peanut butter, and some of my clearest childhood memories are of squeezing them together so that it oozed out the holes on top, and that the all-natural just-peanuts butter my parents bought never squirted out as smoothly as the Skippy of my dreams.

Buttered crackers Cream of Mushroom Soup with Buttered Crackers

So why did I start, after hearing sad tales of friends downing entire sleeves of crackers with cold butter on the couch in front of the PVR? Do I need another buttery carb in my life? No… but I do like to know what I’m missing out on. So I utilized some of my stash of unsalted butter – which I like for eating, not necessarily for baking – and a sleeve of salted crackers, and got to nibbling.

Cream of mushroom soup 3 Cream of Mushroom Soup with Buttered Crackers

And so I tweeted about my snacky new find, and someone tweeted back: don’t stack them in the bottom of a bowl and pour mushroom soup over top! Don’t do it!

cream of mushroom soup 1 Cream of Mushroom Soup with Buttered Crackers

And so I did. As good an excuse as any to make a pot of mushroom soup, don’t you think?

Cream of Mushroom Soup

Ham is divine in mushroom soup – if you have a chunk left over, chop it and stir it in along with the mushrooms. Or if you have a ham bone, simmer it in the soup.

a drizzle of olive oil
1/4 cup butter
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2-3 cups sliced mushrooms – any kind
a few sprigs of fresh thyme
2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
a splash of sherry or white wine (optional)
3-4 cups (or a 1L container) chicken stock
salt and pepper
1/2-1 cup cream (heavy or half & half)

Heat a drizzle of oil and about half the butter in a pot set over medium-high heat.

Add the onion and cook it for a few minutes, until it’s soft. Add the garlic and cook for another minute, then the mushrooms, the rest of the butter, and pull the leaves off thyme off their stems and add them. If you like, add some chopped ham, too.

Cook until the mushrooms get soft, then the moisture cooks off and they start to turn golden. Shake the flour overtop and stir to coat the mushrooms with flour. If you like, add a splash of sherry or white wine, and let it cook off.

Add the stock and bring to a simmer. Cook for a few minutes, until smooth and thickened, then season with salt and pepper and stir in the cream. Serve over buttered crackers. Serves 4.

pixel Cream of Mushroom Soup with Buttered Crackers
button print gry20 Cream of Mushroom Soup with Buttered Crackers

February 20 2013 10:15 pm | freezable and one dish and soup

44 Responses to “Cream of Mushroom Soup with Buttered Crackers”

1. Misty on 20 Feb 2013 at 10:42 pm #

I do NOT thank you for this post!

2. rose on 20 Feb 2013 at 10:56 pm #

Hey Julie
    Made your browned butter icing from yesterday and it looks just like your pic! Drizzled it over a banana wheat germ muffin recipe done in a bundt pan! Great! Thank you..

3. Jess on 21 Feb 2013 at 12:06 am #

I have never heard of such a thing, but now I am utterly, inescapably drawn to making a pot of cream of mushroom soup just so I can pour it over buttered crackers. What trouble you’ve caused me. ;)

4. erin on 21 Feb 2013 at 6:04 am #

Mmmm…to this day I can’t eat mushroom soup without a stash of buttered crackers on my plate – I put them in one at a time and crack them with my spoon.

Of course, my mushroom soup is usually Campbell’s, this looks so much better.

5. Mushrooms Canada on 21 Feb 2013 at 7:38 am #

Your bowl of mushroom soup looks so lovely!! I’m trying to shield my eyes from the deliciousness of those butter crackers though…gee thanks!

-Shannon

6. Lanny on 21 Feb 2013 at 8:13 am #

Perfect….just what I need…and I was going to start my diet today! :( Damn it sounds soooo good!

7. Julie on 21 Feb 2013 at 8:20 am #

Misty – You’re welcome!
    Rose – so great to hear!
    Sounds like you are all as enamoured with mushroom soup as I am… and yet I rarely make it. What’s up with that??

8. Cathy on 21 Feb 2013 at 12:43 pm #

Ha ha…that was me who warned you not to do it…but did you listen?!!! Pure indulgence, yum!!

9. jeri on 21 Feb 2013 at 4:53 pm #

I try to only eat buttered Saltines when I’m near the end of the sleeve or I WILL eat the whole thing. And that soup looks amazing, but in my house it would probably only serve 2 (we really like our soup and our mushrooms).

10. maureen on 21 Feb 2013 at 10:34 pm #

dear god, this looks incredible. cream of mushroom (from a can, of course) and buttered saltines were two of my favorite things to eat when i was a kid. this soup looks much more substantive and flavorful than the old campbell’s, although i suspect the saltines with butter would still be just as good.

11. June on 22 Feb 2013 at 7:44 am #

I’m inspired. Soup makin’s and saltines going on the week’s grocery list as we speak. I don’t think I’ve ever had buttered crackers either although now I’m wondering why on earth not.

12. Lana on 22 Feb 2013 at 7:53 am #

One of my favourite meals from childhood. HAVE to have buttered premium plus crackers with mushroom soup!!!

13. Fiona on 22 Feb 2013 at 8:26 am #

Well, this would be awesome except one of us (the one who really loves mushroom soup) is on a low-fat diet right now thanks to Health Issues.

I grew up eating buttered cream crackers with slices of sharp cheddar. Fat Central, but to this day it’s my go-to comfort food.

14. Anonymous on 22 Feb 2013 at 8:19 pm #

OMG this soup looks good. Gonna try make it this weekend!

15. Brigitte on 23 Feb 2013 at 9:38 am #

Your next cookbook should be all about soups !
    Thank you for another great recipe!

16. Daniel on 23 Feb 2013 at 12:16 pm #

just had it for lunch – 2 servings… left me breathless

17. Anonymous on 24 Feb 2013 at 7:50 am #

I’m guessing that you put the garlic in with the onions and remove it before serving. You also add flour twice…so a bit a first and then the rest before the chicken stock?
    Thanks.

18. Julie on 24 Feb 2013 at 8:23 am #

Whoops, sorry – looks like the recipe needs a little editing! I wrote it out quickly. Yes, cook the garlic with the onions, adding it at the end, but no need to remove it before serving!

19. Jan @ Family Bites on 24 Feb 2013 at 3:50 pm #

I’ve made this twice since you posted the recipe and Rob and I have devoured bowls of it for lunch and dinner. I don’t know about the buttered crackers part, but the soup is awesome as is.

20. Laurie from Burnaby on 24 Feb 2013 at 5:49 pm #

Oh, yum! Thanks so much – I love mushroom soup and buttered crackers. This is a great go to soup for this miserable weather
    Yum Yum

21. Lana on 25 Feb 2013 at 9:32 am #

Made this yesterday and brought it to work for my lunch- along with half a sleeve of soda crackers and butter!

22. Sara on 25 Feb 2013 at 6:20 pm #

Totally unrelated to mushroom soup…why don’t you bake with unsalted butter? I never bake with salted butter, should I change it up?
    Thanks!

23. Julie on 25 Feb 2013 at 10:54 pm #

Sara – good question! I do believe that calls for a post as an answer. :)

24. Shauna Duncan on 27 Feb 2013 at 5:28 pm #

On the topic of crackers and butter you NEED to try Jacob’s Cream crackers with buttter. This is the cat’s meow! My Grandma cursed me with this one.

25. Sara on 27 Feb 2013 at 10:30 pm #

Thanks Julie! I look forward to reading it!

26. Lee-Ann on 06 Mar 2013 at 5:13 pm #

okay so made this on the weekend…fantastic!

27. Kathy on 20 Apr 2013 at 11:01 pm #

WOW, I’ve made mushroom soup for years, and this is pretty much the way I make it. I’ve eaten butter on my crackers since I was a kid. I have never thought of combining the two. Guess I know what’s for dinner tomorrow.

28. Low-Roller on 13 May 2013 at 8:26 pm #

julie,

this recipe sounds and looks delicious! i used to also eat the premium crackers with butter/margarine on top. i think i did this because my mom always bought the unsalted ones. LR

29. Sarah on 17 Jun 2013 at 5:08 am #

Making this tonight! Can’t wait!

30. Dee @ Sprinkle Some Sunshine on 06 Sep 2013 at 12:08 am #

This soup is gorgeous & I can’t wait to try it! I grew up on buttered saltines & I’d forgotten how scrumptious they are. Thanks for the reminder. :)

31. Anne on 18 Sep 2013 at 6:56 am #

Would the soup be tasty without the crackers too?? I don’t have crackers in the house :(

32. Janice on 28 Sep 2013 at 12:57 pm #

The mushroom lover aka my husband absolutely loved this recipe! I doubled the batched for left overs on this rainy weekend we are having. I’m not a huge fan of the texture of mushrooms. I like their flavor tho. I think I will get one of those little submersible blenders for my servings so I can enjoy the flavors and not worry about the texture. Really is a terrific, easy, flavorful recipe. ( I did splurge and get the fresh thyme and I did use the splash of not too sweet local white wine. Thinking I will add the ham if I don’t have the fresh thyme and wine. :)

33. Julie on 30 Sep 2013 at 12:27 pm #

Sounds like a great idea – I love the soup both ways!

34. Janet on 01 Jan 2014 at 8:48 pm #

Made this tonight and loved it!! It was our dinner, but would make a lovely first course for company. And yes the crackers and butter are fab!!

35. Cathy on 24 Jan 2014 at 7:09 pm #

Finally went to the store to get the mushrooms to make this soup. I’m afraid that it will not serve four as I ate almost half of it tonight. It was delicious. I even put the buttered crackers in it to see what that was all about, but being diabetic, I have to revert to skim milk, etc. next time. I’m sure it will still taste fabulous.

36. Meghan on 05 Feb 2014 at 3:14 pm #

Absolutely delicious!

37. 10 Healthy Soup Recipes | foodgio on 28 Mar 2014 at 3:56 am #

[…] Cream of Mushroom Soup with Buttered Crackers from Dinner With Julie […]

38. Marcia on 24 Jul 2014 at 11:52 am #

Just made your mushroom soup, it was so stinking easy, but so good! I didn’t change a thing .. We’ll minus the little blue cheese topping… Thank you I now have a go to mushroom soup!

39. Kirsten Parris on 31 Aug 2014 at 4:08 pm #

I made this soup today to bring to school for my lunch. It is really a delicious soup. I had some porcini salt that I used, and some dried porcini that I put in 1/4 cup of water to impart that lovely flavor that these mushrooms have. Everything else I followed as the recipe directed. The soup is, in one word, delicious. Thank you for the recipe!

40. Nate Estlund on 15 Sep 2014 at 6:17 pm #

Made this for dinner tonight. It was amazing. Only change I would make it to add more flour for rue. I used 3 cups chicken stock and 1 cup heavy cream. I would increase flour to 3-3 1/2 T.

41. Laurie on 08 Oct 2014 at 7:37 am #

I just made this last night after having found the recipe on Pinterest. I chopped my mushrooms in a food chopper to make the soup extra thick, and it was absolutely amazing. Such a delicious and easy recipe! My boyfriend loved it, too! Will become a staple since we both love mushrooms and soup so much.

42. Aunt Doris on 27 Oct 2014 at 8:41 am #

Love soups…love mushrooms…and this sounds scrumptious! I have never heard of saltines with butter but more than willing to give it a try.
    Thank you for the recipe.

43. Kris Culberson on 01 Nov 2014 at 4:41 pm #

We made this soup tonight, and it was really delicious. Nate’s suggestion was spot-on with increasing the flour to 3-3 1/2. Additionally, Laurie suggested chopping the mushroom into smaller pieces to maximize thickness. I ended up using an emulsion blender to get the consistency even thicker after these two suggestions. I had used unsalted stock, unsure of which to use. Now I know to use salted, since I ended up adding a liberal amount of salt to get it tasting right.

This is a wonderful recipe. Perfect for a cold day.

Thanks for sharing!

44. Julie on 02 Nov 2014 at 8:47 am #

Lovely tips! I’m so glad it worked out well!