Chocolate Chunk Browned Butter Blondies

Browned butter blondies Chocolate Chunk Browned Butter Blondies

Having just compiled and edited 10,000 words, I don’t have many left to share. But I will tell you that I’m a particular fan of the dense, fudgy brownie, and equally of the rich, chewy chocolate chip cookie, and a blondie is what you’d get if the two got together. Blondies are easier to make than brownies, and quicker to spread into a pan and bake than a couple dozen cookies. Just what Friday needs.

browned butter blondies cut Chocolate Chunk Browned Butter Blondies

They’re the solution to any cookie emergency. But even if you’re in a rush to crush your craving, if you can spare an extra 4 minutes to brown your butter first, it’s totally worth it.

Chocolate Chunk Browned Butter Blondies

1/2 cup butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2-1 cup chopped chocolate and/or nuts

Preheat the oven to 350F. In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Keep it on the heat, swirling the pan occasionally, until the foam starts turning golden and the mixture smells nutty. Remove from heat and pour into a mixing bowl.

Stir in the brown sugar, then the egg and vanilla. Add the flour, baking soda and salt and stir until almost combined; add the chocolate or nuts (or whatever additions you like) and stir just until blended.

Spread into an 8×8-inch pan and bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden and set. Serve warm or cool in the pan on a wire rack. Makes 16 blondies.

pixel Chocolate Chunk Browned Butter Blondies
button print gry20 Chocolate Chunk Browned Butter Blondies

March 01 2013 05:22 pm | cookies & squares and dessert

15 Responses to “Chocolate Chunk Browned Butter Blondies”

1. gwendolyn on 01 Mar 2013 at 5:27 pm #

I’m a huge fan of the blondie. So dangerously easy. Haven’t tried it with browned butter yet, but could be a good project for this weekend.

2. Danielle on 01 Mar 2013 at 5:45 pm #

Yep! Pretty much my perfect dessert! Love blondies and I love anything with browned butter. I’d like to have one or twelve of these right now for dessert :)

3. Laura on 01 Mar 2013 at 6:26 pm #

Just made these. AH-mazing. YUM!

4. CathyH on 01 Mar 2013 at 6:40 pm #

A picture is worth a thousand drools……….

5. Kaitlin on 02 Mar 2013 at 3:47 pm #

Um yeah….dangerously easy and delicious. No judgement if I eat the whole pan myself right?

6. Carolyn on 03 Mar 2013 at 12:25 am #

Can you let us in on your latest book or project you just finished?

7. Nikki on 03 Mar 2013 at 9:57 pm #

Made this one to combat this ridiculous weather. I have to admit, it really helped, and I’m starting to really love brown butter. I used dark chocolate chips and pecans and my son is on his 5th piece already. I’m only on my second so I’m still feeling good about myself.

8. Kendall on 05 Mar 2013 at 10:24 am #

Just made these yesterday and they are almost all gone – really good!! Already ate one pre-11:00 am…….

9. Julie on 06 Mar 2013 at 10:36 pm #

Carolyn – yes, of course! it’s called Alice Eats: a Wonderland Cookbook, and I’m doing it with Pierre Lamielle.

10. Double Chocolate Chip Muffins » Dinner With Julie on 06 Mar 2013 at 10:43 pm #

[…] delicious organic 2% milk the other day – unconsciously spurred, I think, by that batch of browned butter blondies. And though I rarely drink milk by the glass, the pairing was irresistible. My fridge, which is […]

11. Cheryl on 17 Mar 2013 at 10:21 pm #

Wonderful! The photo made me think of the peanut butter/chocolate chip brownies (or maybe they are blondies too?) from Spolumbo’s that I love. So I swapped half the butter for peanut butter. They are delicious, and a pretty good substitute for the Spolumbo’s brownie.

12. Julie on 19 Mar 2013 at 5:05 pm #

Cheryl – peanut butter! So brilliant!! I’ll have to give that a try!

13. Jaci on 09 Jun 2013 at 10:16 pm #

Julie, I have made these blondes at least 4 times now and they are amazing. I don’t know what it is about the browned butter, but it just makes these so scrumptious! Thanks for the great recipes-love your blog!

14. Browned Butter Blondies | on 23 Aug 2013 at 1:32 am #

[…] Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin2.2http://thefoodcharlatan.com/2013/08/23/browned-butter-blondies/ Source: Dinner with Julie […]

15. Nutella-Stuffed Browned Butter Blondies | The Food Charlatan on 04 Apr 2014 at 3:43 am #

[…] Source: adapted from the original Browned Butter Blondies from Dinner with Julie […]