Crispy Lamb, Kale & Garlic Pizza

Lamb kale pizza 5 text Crispy Lamb, Kale & Garlic Pizza

I know I make a lot of pizza around here, but you’ll want to bookmark this one, I’m told. We first had it about a month ago; it was a means of using up the last of the crispily cooked ground lamb I had used in a cassoulet on a night when we had just a tiny sliver of time between work and a school play.

Lamb kale pizza 6 Crispy Lamb, Kale & Garlic Pizza

I rummaged around the fridge, using up bits of soft Boursin and goat cheese, and cooked up a bunch of kale. My sister took a bite and declared it the best thing she had ever eaten. I thought it was the tiredness talking – that eating it standing up in the kitchen as the boys got their coats and boots on to leave the house again somehow made it taste better. But I think it was really just that good.

Lamb kale pizza 1 Crispy Lamb, Kale & Garlic Pizza

The other day, my sister took a bite of something and said -again- that it was the best thing she had ever eaten, then quickly corrected herself – “no, it was the lamb and kale pizza that was the best thing.” And so since I had lamb in the freezer and kale and Boursin in the fridge, I made another.

Lamb kale pizza 2 Crispy Lamb, Kale & Garlic Pizza

Just to see. If it’s actually the very best thing to eat in the entire world, it should be shared, no?

Lamb pizza Collage Crispy Lamb, Kale & Garlic Pizza

Here’s how you do it – because it’s a pizza, which is kind of like a sandwich, you don’t need precise measurements: for one big or two medium pizzas, cook about half a pound of ground lamb and a few big cloves of garlic (crushed) and a good pinch of salt (lamb loves salt) until it’s nicely browned and getting crispy. Move it out of the pan and cook a chopped bunch of kale until it’s soft and getting crisp on its edges. Drizzle some olive oil over rolled-out pizza dough, and crumble some Boursin and some soft goat cheese (or one or the other-or feta?) over top. Follow with the cooked lamb and kale.

Lamb kale pizza 7 Crispy Lamb, Kale & Garlic Pizza

Sprinkle a big handful of grated mozzarella over everything – don’t smother it with cheese, just a light blanket – and bake at 450F for 20 minutes, or until golden and bubbly. Hello, Saturday night.

Lamb kale pizza 8 Crispy Lamb, Kale & Garlic Pizza

Tonight, curled up on the couch with nowhere to go, it was even better than it was standing over the stove. The boys asked why we kept making those weird (moaning) sounds. Mike professed his undying love for the pizza, turning to me intently and saying, “you have to write this down. No I’m serious. Tell me what’s in it. You have to remember this one. Let’s just only make this kind of pizza from now on.”

See, it isn’t all rainbows and lamb pizzas when you’re married to a recipe tester. But sometimes, it is.

pixel Crispy Lamb, Kale & Garlic Pizza
button print gry20 Crispy Lamb, Kale & Garlic Pizza

April 06 2013 07:30 pm | appetizers and lamb and one dish

26 Responses to “Crispy Lamb, Kale & Garlic Pizza”

1. Avery on 06 Apr 2013 at 7:42 pm #

Sounds so good!

2. H-woman on 06 Apr 2013 at 8:32 pm #

Will add kale, Boursin, lamb, goat cheese, and mozza to the grocery list….

I need a good gluten free pizza crust recipe. Any suggestions?

3. Laurie from Burnaby on 06 Apr 2013 at 9:29 pm #

That looks wonderful :)

4. Barbara Bamber | justasmidgen on 06 Apr 2013 at 11:52 pm #

Hahaha.. I love this story, this is how amazing recipes are created.. If your husband says to write this down.. I’m writing it down too:)

5. Margaret@KitchenFrau on 07 Apr 2013 at 9:03 am #

You have made me so hungry for this pizza – now I have got to try it, too!

6. sippitysup on 07 Apr 2013 at 3:53 pm #

Maybe I was raised badly but I think the very best thing in the world should not be shared ;-) GREG

7. CathyH on 07 Apr 2013 at 5:17 pm #

Lamb pizza, never thought of that. Sounds delish.

I will also ask if anyone has a GF pizza dough recipe, otherwise Bob’s Red Mill is great.

8. Joanne on 07 Apr 2013 at 7:13 pm #

Toppings sound wonderful–I too need a GF dough recipe with as few ingredients as possible.

9. Kate on 07 Apr 2013 at 8:09 pm #

H-woman — try Udi’s gluten-free pizza crusts (pre-cooked thin crust). We use them with a pizza stone on the BBQ and they are very very good. Available at Safeway. Care Bakery pizza crusts are amazing as well (we use them as flatbread) Used to make homemade GF crust using recipe from “Easy Gluten-Free Baking” by Elizabeth Barbone, which has both thin and thick crust recipes.

10. Julie on 07 Apr 2013 at 8:37 pm #

Hey, sorry for the slow reply! Yes, Udi’s gluten free crusts are tasty! I’ve bought them from Co-op. And if anyone has a good recipe for pizza dough, it’s Gluten-free Girl – http://glutenfreegirl.com/2011/01/gluten-free-pizza-2/

11. Lana on 08 Apr 2013 at 9:15 am #

I have never cooked lamb. But maybe I will try this because it just looks so damn good. I love Boursin on pizzas- I usually add to caramelized onions and chicken- but this is so highly recommended by Mike, how can I resist?

12. molly on 08 Apr 2013 at 9:20 am #

please send a slice to my inbox, kay?

leftovers are fine.

many thanks,

m

13. Carolyn on 08 Apr 2013 at 9:32 am #

I got a pizza steel earlier this year. It’s changed my (baking) life. It makes the most unbelievable pizza crust, ever. I can’t wait to try out this combo.

14. kickpleat on 08 Apr 2013 at 12:49 pm #

This is another awesome idea!! I’ve never used Boursin cheese on a pizza and I love the sound of this with the lamb. Can I have my Saturday night on a rainy Monday?

15. Barb on 08 Apr 2013 at 5:52 pm #

High praise there Julie. It’s gotta be amazing!

16. Amanda on 08 Apr 2013 at 6:05 pm #

I was so excited to make this pizza that I went and got the ingredients immediatly following reading the post. This is the first “julie” recipe I have ever been dissapointed in…and I did the math on the calories….120g for 2 tbs of boursin that’s about 1000 calories alone..not mention the lamb, and mozza. better make it a bigger run!

17. Christine on 08 Apr 2013 at 9:20 pm #

I sent this recipe to my 2 boys who sadly, live way too far away these days. They love lamb and pizza and kale. Clearly I did something right. I love the way you write Julie, it’s like we are all there in the living room moaning over the pizza along with you. Wouldn’t miss reading your blog for anything. When I was in Tofino last week I kept thought of you and your wonderful stories of being there. Off to get my baked oatmeal ready for the morning!

18. Deb on 08 Apr 2013 at 9:44 pm #

This was amazing. I admit I lightened the cheese a bunch because I’m trying to lighten up a bit, but that’s the great thing about a recipe like this is that it’s easily tailored to individual tastes. This is now the third recipe of yours that is totally going to become one of my staple dishes.

19. Misty on 09 Apr 2013 at 11:13 am #

“If it’s actually the very best thing to eat in the entire world, it should be shared, no?” YES! I totally agree and this sounds sooo good. I have never thought of Boursin on pizza and I am a HUGE Boursin fan!

20. Samantha @Blissful Domesticity on 09 Apr 2013 at 12:29 pm #

Ok, ok. I’m not a kale person. But this pizza looks so damn good, I bought some today. This is inspiring me to make some homemade pizza this week!

21. Sheri on 10 Apr 2013 at 9:12 pm #

I ‘just’ ate dinner and this makes my mouth water. I know I can find room to fit that in. Wow, it looks good. Pinned so I won’t lose it :)

22. Anita on 10 Apr 2013 at 9:40 pm #

Boursin on a pizza!!??? You are a freaking genius!

23. Robin | Farewell, Stranger on 10 Apr 2013 at 10:03 pm #

This looks so good!

24. Kathy on 17 Apr 2013 at 3:32 pm #

I made this last night and loved it! My 18 year old son said this was his new favorite pizza! :)

25. Chorizo, Kale & Garlic Pizza (and the Perfect Pizza Crust) | Blissful Domesticity on 01 Jan 2014 at 8:47 am #

[…] recipe was one of those fridge-dump ideas, partly inspired by my friend Julie’s Crispy Lamb, Kale & Garlic Pizza, in which Boursin cheese takes the place of a traditional tomato sauce. I keep roasted garlic in my […]

26. Crispy Lamb, Kale and Garlic Pizza | Directions, Please. on 23 May 2014 at 7:28 pm #

[…] got this recipe from Dinner With Julie and I made it the first time for Janet’s graduation party because this pizza had all the […]