Gatherings: Chocolate Chip Cookie Stack Cake

Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake 2 text Gatherings: Chocolate Chip Cookie Stack Cake

Around here, birthday cakes aren’t always cakes.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake 1 Gatherings: Chocolate Chip Cookie Stack Cake

Does it really matter? All that matters is that it’s sweet and special and just what the birthday girl/boy wants. And that you can stick a candle in it. (Come to think of it, it doesn’t even need to be sweet.) I’d choose pie and ice cream over cake, and truth be told I’d likely go for a dense, chewy chocolate chip cookie over a slab of layer cake. As a kid, my cake of choice was ice cream, and I have on many birthdays picked a pile of chocolate smothered cream puffs. (B had cake topped with cream puffs back in January.) One year, our 10something neighbour requested a cinnamon bun cake; two layers of yeasted cinnamon buns, glued together and covered with cream cheese frosting.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake 5 Gatherings: Chocolate Chip Cookie Stack Cake

This year, Em shrugged at the question of cake, and so I baked a batch of enormous chocolate chip cookies and stacked them, keeping them in place with vanilla frosting.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake 4 Gatherings: Chocolate Chip Cookie Stack Cake

There’s a good tutorial here, if you want a higher level of perfection than I aimed for. (At 4pm, I was going for speed.) Essentially you take your favourite chocolate chip cookie recipe, make big, uniform mounds on a baking sheet (use a big scoop or measuring cup) and press them down to flatten, covering with a piece of waxed paper or parchment first if you don’t want to get your fingers sticky.
(I did this, and took pictures, and then deleted them. So.)

Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake 3 Gatherings: Chocolate Chip Cookie Stack Cake

A single, standard batch of dough made at least 10 ginormous cookies. Had I spread them thinner, we might have been able to cut the stack in wedges. Instead we opted to take them off the pile two by two, cutting each enormous sugary sandwich in half and passing them around. It worked. And wasn’t too over-the-top for a freshly fifteen year old.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake Gatherings: Chocolate Chip Cookie Stack Cake

What have you chosen to celebrate with, besides cake? Hungry minds want to know. Jan tackled a similar situation with her son’s 13th birthday last week – her solution? A pile of Nutella brownies and a tableload of toppings…

Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake

Inspired by Half Baked – the Cake Blog, 15 years and many days of chocolate chip cookie baking.

1 cup butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 cup mini chocolate chips (or 1 1/2 cups regular)

3-4 cups vanilla, chocolate or cream cheese frosting

Preheat the oven to 325F.

In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugars for a couple minutes, until pale and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and vanilla. Add the flour, baking soda and salt and stir or beat on low speed until almost combined; add the chocolate chips and stir just until the dough comes together.

Scoop about 1/3-1/2 cup of dough onto a parchment-lined baking sheet; you should be able to fit two on one larger sheet, spacing them well apart. Cover with a piece of waxed or parchment paper and press down to flatten them to about 1/2″ thick. Peel off the paper.

Bake for about 14 minutes, until pale golden and just set. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Spread cooled cookies generously with frosting, stacking them as you go. Let sit for several hours, then slice into thin wedges, or remove each cookie from the stack to serve.

Serves 8-10.

pixel Gatherings: Chocolate Chip Cookie Stack Cake
button print gry20 Gatherings: Chocolate Chip Cookie Stack Cake

April 24 2013 08:15 am | cookies & squares and dessert

23 Responses to “Gatherings: Chocolate Chip Cookie Stack Cake”

1. Fareen on 24 Apr 2013 at 8:38 am #

Love this idea!

2. Jennifer Jo on 24 Apr 2013 at 9:01 am #

Instead of a wedding cake, we had homemade ice cream and a variety of cookies.

3. Vivian on 24 Apr 2013 at 10:11 am #

Wow! Can you spell “decadence”?? A ten-layer cookie-cake sandwich?! What a wonderful idea. Me want now!

4. Erica B. on 24 Apr 2013 at 10:55 am #

Great idea! Happy Birthday Em!

5. Meg @ Sweet Twist on 24 Apr 2013 at 11:41 am #

This would be the cake I would want for my birthday!!

6. Sue/the view from great island on 24 Apr 2013 at 12:41 pm #

What a treat!

7. Amy on 24 Apr 2013 at 1:42 pm #

Oh my… Julie! You make me wanna bath in your cookies!! They look heavenly :) Love it!

8. judy on 24 Apr 2013 at 5:29 pm #

Hi Julie,
    I just celebrated my granddaughter’s 17th birthday on Sunday with a relaxed family homemade pizza dinner my daughter organized. Cake pops and fruit dipped in chocolate was the sweet treat which was perfect size-wise and adorable all decorated out in various colors.

9. JodyR on 25 Apr 2013 at 7:32 am #

Brilliant idea! What kind of icing do you think goes best with basic chocolate chip cookies? Would love to see what it looked like after you cut it.

10. Lana on 25 Apr 2013 at 7:36 am #

My husband prefers Pavlova on his birthday, and my girls have had sundae parties, fruit flan, ice cream cake and chocolate fondue. And once in a while, an actual birthday cake. :)

11. Maija @ Maija's Mommy Moments on 25 Apr 2013 at 7:36 am #

Oh my!!!

12. Heather on 25 Apr 2013 at 7:52 am #

I love this idea! How fun, especially for older kids (I’m still stuck firmly in character cake land *sigh* )

13. Jenny @ The Brunette Baker on 25 Apr 2013 at 8:28 pm #

Holy lovin’ Julie! A single tear fell from my face when I saw this. Perfection.

14. Dana on 26 Apr 2013 at 10:51 am #

This looks amazing! When I was a kid my mom said she wasn’t going to have a cake for her birthday. She was going to have a birthday pizza instead. I cried. We had a cake.

15. Mallory on 26 Apr 2013 at 1:04 pm #

Great idea, cake can be so over-rated sometimes. With cookies you don’t have to worry about it being dry and tasteless!

16. Jennifer on 27 Apr 2013 at 11:21 am #

These cookies are awesome! Thank you for this wonderful recipe!!!

17. Charmian on 02 May 2013 at 6:10 am #

Drooling. I’m a huge cookie fan. A cookie cake looks like the perfect way to celebrate any occasional an any age.

18. Deborah on 09 May 2013 at 12:17 pm #

Not sure if anyone else mentioned – but adding a little ground vanilla bean adds great flavor to the frosting and it very esthetically appealing as well!
    Thank you, Julie!~

19. Stephanie on 09 May 2013 at 1:28 pm #

I used to ask for pie or cheesecake on my birthdays because regular frosting on birthday cake always seemed too sweet to me. This idea is awesome too! I want one… It’s probably my 1/2 birthday by now so maybe I need a half stack

20. Laura on 15 Jul 2013 at 1:32 pm #

Ha! I am so glad you address HOW to eat this. I always wonder that when I see these kinds of stacks. And now I have this intense craving for a stack of chocolate chip cookies! Yum!

21. Julie on 15 Jul 2013 at 1:55 pm #

Mystery solved Laura!

22. Babybel Cheeseburgers & Garlic Cheese Fries » Dinner With Julie on 30 Aug 2013 at 9:12 am #

[…] around our table, or in our backyard – there have been birthday parties (OK, a few birthday parties) and a big pot of meatballs, pecan waffles with wine smoothies and music-inspired cocktails. I was […]

23. Anonymous on 18 Dec 2013 at 5:48 am #

[…] god for that crazy dreamer who runs Dude Food. Recipe here. 9. Chocolate Chip Cookie Stack Cake dinnerwithjulie.com Recipe here. 10. Elvis Waffle Stack with Marshmallow Frosting and Caramelized Bananas. […]