Popcorn with Truffle Salt

Jiffy pop 1 Popcorn with Truffle Salt

We ate popcorn for dinner last night. Having just completed three straight days of feeding the sci-fi celebs at Comic Expo (Gillian Anderson! Carrie Fisher! Linda Hamilton! Wil Wheaton! Ian McDiarmid! Weird Al! MacGyver!) breakfast, lunch and snacks, I could barely stand up straight and the dishes in the sink were piled up to about the ceiling, because we were crazy enough to do this before replacing our dishwasher, which HAS NO DOOR. And hasn’t since Christmas. Did I mention I also tested/foodstyled and photographed a cookbook in that dishwasherless time? (Aside: people keep coming over, looking at it, and asking – does it still work? Answer: yes, but it attempts to wash the rest of the kitchen at the same time.)

Jiffy pop Collage Popcorn with Truffle Salt

I tore off the lid and the boys stared at it. “What is it.” (It was posed as a most unenthusiastic statement, rather than a question.) “Oh I know what that is – it’s popcorn. What’s everyone else going to have?” They thought it was just an inch-high container of already popped corn, and had no idea that it would transform into a UFO-like silver bubble of buttery goodness. I instructed them to stand by the stove and watch, and shake the pan occasionally. They were transfixed. VoilĂ  – dinner and entertainment.

I should point out we pop our everyday corn on the stove, in a great heavy-bottomed stainless steel pot with a glass lid that has a little steam hole, making it perfect for popcorn. I don’t buy microwave popcorn, and I haven’t bought a container of Jiffy Pop in either 10 years or ever, but picked one up on a whim after hearing that a very shishi restaurant in Toronto has it on their appetizer menu – showered with truffle salt – for $8. They bring it right to the table and let you pop it open with your fork. (I wonder what 12 year old kid they have in the kitchen on Jiffy Pop duty?)

Jiffy pop w truffle salt Popcorn with Truffle Salt

And so that’s the story of last night’s dinner, which in approximately 2 1/2 minutes was exactly like something you’d get in a fancy restaurant. Stay tuned to hear why Linda Hamilton doesn’t like cilantro, what food item from my kitchen I gave Misha Collins to bring home, and what Nathan Fillion dropped on my foot – the theme for the rest of this week: movie star leftovers, with name dropping. Watch your step.

pixel Popcorn with Truffle Salt
button print gry20 Popcorn with Truffle Salt

April 29 2013 10:37 pm | snacks

17 Responses to “Popcorn with Truffle Salt”

1. Carol S-B on 30 Apr 2013 at 8:22 am #

And this is why we love you, Julie.
    Jiffy Pop is a beautiful, happy thing: I forgot how amazingly cool it is! With truffle salt. Thank you for discovering this piece of awesomeness.
    I was wondering if you were covering ComicCon this weekend.
    I’ll never forget your “Soup for Spock” post. The way you ran with that, kindly circumventing Leonard Nimoy’s weekend in YYC with nothing but McD’s; and how very, very grateful the celebrities would be to enjoy your thoughtful cooking… I’d bet it’s easier to sign them up for a stint in Calgary, knowing they are well taken care of.

2. Dahlia on 30 Apr 2013 at 9:34 am #

I love popcorn for dinner. Haven’t had it for a while though… Which reminds that I’ve run out of popcorn! I also like stove-top-popped corn: microwave popcorn has nothing on it!
    I wonder if I can find Jiffy Pop in the UK….

3. Nicole Boyhouse on 30 Apr 2013 at 11:48 am #

WEIRD AL? That is awesome. Did you tell him just to “Eat It”? Popcorn for dinner was my single-girl staple. My family – kids included, wtf – get all up in my grill if I suggest popcorn for dinner. “That’s not very balanced, MOM.” Of course these are the same children who would eat chicken fingers and fries every single day if I let them.

Anyhoooo….I want some popcorn right this second. I like to put nutritional yeast on it and coconut oil, when I’m feeling all smug and vegan-y. Otherwise, butter and Hy’s seasoning salt. Or – shameful but true – I sometimes buy those Kernel’s flavour thingies. Ketchup is pretty excellent, as is cheddar. I immediately get a massive headache so I’m pretty sure there are some potent chemicals, but sometimes it’s worth it.

Wow, is this the longest comment about popcorn ever? Maybe I can keep it going and make a new record. Hmm. What could I say about popcorn. Or Weird Al. I guess I’m out of ideas.

Oh! I know! YOU HAVE NO WORKING DISHWASHER? That’s insane. It’s like you’re Ma Ingalls, if Ma Ingalls was a fabulous cook and writer. And if she had electricity and running water. And…well…I guess it’s nothing like Ma Ingalls since her specialty is making pie out of green pumpkins and bread out of ground raw wheat.

4. Carol S-B on 30 Apr 2013 at 2:08 pm #

Ha ha! Nicole, best comment ever.

5. Laurie from Burnaby on 30 Apr 2013 at 2:23 pm #

I can’t wait to hear about it all – everything! :D

6. Julie on 30 Apr 2013 at 3:14 pm #

Best. Comment. Ever.
    - Ma Ingalls

7. Erica B. on 30 Apr 2013 at 4:08 pm #

NO DISHWASHER?! “… does it still work? Answer: yes, but it attempts to wash the rest of the kitchen at the same time.”

LOL Any idea how to get coffee off a macbook screen?

8. Carolyn on 30 Apr 2013 at 4:25 pm #

Really stupid question, I’m sure, but I’m going to ask it anyways. Does anyone know if it’s possible to pop corn on an induction stove? Since I’ve got mine, I’ve been only doing the air pop thing with a lunch bag and the microwave. I long for some corn popped in a bit of butter or oil.

9. Anita on 30 Apr 2013 at 4:49 pm #

I use a normal/usual metal cooking pot on the stove with a lid. I add about a tablespoon of coconut oil at the bottom and then add the kernels over medium-high heat. I shake the pot around a few times to avoid burning. After a few minutes, the kernels will pop and the pot will fill with popcorn! I do use organic popcorn though. (available at your natural grocer/whole foods type of store).

10. Julie on 01 May 2013 at 8:27 am #

Carolyn – I’d think it would just be like on any other stovetop – in a lidded pot with oil, and shake it often until the popping slows!

11. Amber on 01 May 2013 at 1:51 pm #

I use a stovetop popcorn maker (picked up off of Craiglist for $20) that has the turning handle to shuffle the popcorn kernels around. Mom used to shake a pot over the stove element but last time I tried that I scratched the heck out of my non-stick pot bottom :( And turning a handle is so much easier! Use coconut oil to pop it in and then add butter and cinnamon and Splenda…kettle corn at home!

12. Amber on 01 May 2013 at 1:52 pm #

Oh and dying of curiousity to hear about Nathan Fillion…hope he didn’t drop anything too heavy on your foot!

13. Shelli@How'sitgoingeh? on 01 May 2013 at 6:16 pm #

Yum!!! I love truffle anything! Sometimes I drizzle a little truffle oil into my scrambled eggs in the morning. I was at Comic Expo this Sunday. Robert Patrick is pretty much the coolest dude ever!

14. Mom of Three on 01 May 2013 at 9:17 pm #

Popcorn with Oliv’s truffle oil is my new favourite thing. Mmmm, truffles!

15. Heather on 01 May 2013 at 9:26 pm #

Jiffy Pop has to be up there in the list of most fun food items. Love it!

16. Jan @ Family Bites on 02 May 2013 at 7:39 am #

I’m not familiar with the restaurant that does this, but I love the idea. We use Jiffy Pop sometimes when we go camping – the boys love watching it pop over the campfire.

17. RMB on 05 May 2013 at 3:23 pm #

Also can’t wait to hear about Nathan Fillion. Have loved him since “Waitress”.